Spinoff. Things You HAVE Done That People May Find Surprising

I backpacked through India the year between my undergraduate and graduate work. And then a whole bunch of stuff that isn't family-board appropriate--let's just say I'm an entertaining person to play "I Never" with...

How is this the least bit shocking? Happens daily.
Most people have one or two max. People are shocked I have 3 kids, they came out as c-sections, and they are all male. It is really weird. I don't see anything abnormal about my life, but people are shocked when they see all 3 of my boys and that they have the same father. Blows their mind!

I had a mildly popular radio show and my face on billboards all over Austin in the early 90's. Very, very few people in my present life know this about me. It's not exactly something I would bring up at playgroup or at the park when I became a stay-at-home mom. Eventually, it just disappeared from my thoughts. Now that I'm old, it feels pretty cool to look back on those days.
I totally get this. In "another life" (also during the excessive early '90's) I was married to a local radio celebrity; very much a big-fish-in-a-little pond sort of thing. My life today could not be more different and I don't think I'm in contact with a single person from those days. Although it's not exactly a secret, my current crowd would be very surprised at what I consider my misspent youth. :rolleyes1

Last edited:
At 24 years old I took at 10 day trip to Germany, Italy, and Switzerland with 45 strangers in a travel group for ages 18 to 28. I didn't meet anyone until I got to Italy, shared hotel rooms with complete strangers, and basically spent 10 days in countries I've never been to with people I've never met before. My mom was an anxious mess, but it was amazing and I'd do it all over again

I have defended five different young men from the death penalty. One was found not guilty so never reached the sentencing issue. One received natural life but was freed in post conviction proceedings. One received 55 years and two more are serving natural life sentences. None were sentenced to death. I have been "medically retired" for the past ten years so that life seems long ago and far away.

Lived through a flood where we had no power for five days and no cleaning running water for two weeks. And kept a restaurant open during that time.

People are surprised at a number of things I've done in my life (and I'm still doing one of them).
Married to the same man for 52 years.
Lived in ten different countries.
Visited more than 35 more countries.
Moved house 28 times in 35 years (and like Hadley, we weren't a military family either)
Have seen my favorite musical more than 50 times. (Nowhere near the record, I'm sure. Not even near my DD's record!)

Queen Colleen

My aunt was surprised that I met Tony Curtis when I was at college (I have a bachelor's degree in Film)….This was back in 2008.

I spent a couple years working as a diamond grader at the Gemoligical Institute of America. I got to see a LOT of really huge, expensive diamonds, including many fancy colored ones that ended up in celebrity engagement rings. If you have a GIA graded diamond, I might have created the report that came with it!

I once attended a KKK rally -- I was a young newspaper reporter (early 20s), and I was doing a series of stories on hate groups. Still one of the most surreal and troubling experiences of my life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter