• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff: Thanksgiving Foods That You Hate

Green bean casserole
sweet potatoes with marshmallows
pumpkin pie

I disagree with a few DIS'ers on one thing though..I LOVE dark turkey meat, and hate the white, lol

I love sweet potatoes now, but I hated them growing up because the only time I had them was Thanksgiving and Christmas. My family whipped them and topped them with crushed pineapple and marshmallows. It was so gross!

Everything we currently serve, I like.

But, if we served peas or creamed onions or oyster stuffing or some kind of salad w/ mayonnaise, I wouldn't like those things. I'm also not a fan of rhubarb pie, but I think that's typically more of a spring pie.

I love, love, love Southern Cornbread Dressing, but I didn't like my mother-in-law's version which included chopped boiled eggs & waaaaay too much sage.

I do prefer the Sweet Potato Casserole w/ the Pecan & Brown Sugar Topping to the Marshmallow topping though - unless I'm making the Barnsley Gardens Sweet Potato Souffle recipe.

And some people CANNOT make sweet potato casserole AT ALL, so I understand why, if you've had some people's "variations", you may not like any sweet potato casserole.

Deviled Eggs

Green Bean Casserole. When DS was about 5 he deemed my Mom’s green beans “Mom’s World Famous Green Beans”. They are green beans that my dad grows and they home can them. I like them but no green bean casserole will ever be on our table at Thanksgiving or any other time.

Green bean casserole

Greens- may be a southern thing but it seems to be tradition here to have collard greens or turnip greens. I don’t like them.

I really like almost all Thanksgiving foods—or at least the ones that we serve. Not sure I have ever had green bean casserole, we make a broccoli casserole that I really like—not topped with onions. I am generally not a fan of sweet potato casserole but my sister makes one that is pretty good. I always pass on pumpkin pie though. Apple doesn’t do it for me either.

Any kind of "casserole."
Pumpkin pie
sweet potatoes. If guests ask what they can bring, I always tell them that if you want traditional sweet potatoes, you bring it 'cause I am not making it.

I used to hate white meat until we started brining our turkey in beer for 24 hours. The thing comes out so juicy, it drips when you carve it.

Green bean casserole made with canned green beans is torture food. Made with frozen green beans, it's a whole different taste.

Not a fan of pumpkin pie. Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is pretty good, IMHO.

White meat turkey is too dry, unless it's mercifully buried in gravy. The dark meat is more moist, and less apt to get stuck in the throat.

Oh gosh, I love green bean casserole- the kind with the mushroom soup and fried onions on top. We NEVER had that growing up, never had it until I went to Thanksgiving at my MIL's in Ohio. I love it! (I don't always even wait for T-giving to make it... sometimes I make it just because!)

What I DON'T like'
Homemade cranberry sauce/relish. I love cranberry orange bread, but don't mess with my jellied canned cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving!
Cornbread stuffing- yuck, it tastes funny and feels odd in my mouth!
"Candied" anything; keep your brown sugar and marshmallows away from my veggies (that goes for pineapple, too)!

Totally agree. White meat turkey has to be cooked just right, otherwise it's really bad.

I'll add another to the list. Now that it's just the 5 of us for Thanksgiving, we don't cook, we order from Publix. The dinner comes with this "marshmallow fluff" stuff... I don't know exactly what it is, except to say it's nasty.

As if the Marshmallow delight with the fruit in it wasn't bad enough. Now they're giving fluff?

It takes a cruel person to serve beets for Thanksgiving.

Now you tell me -- after I've included pickled beets on this year's menu.

Our table will not include what I call slop & sicky sweet glop -- green bean casserole and sweet potatoes tortured with brown sugar and marshmallows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter