Spin-off: What is your biggest driving pet peeve?

kamik86

DIS Veteran
As a spin off of the person ranting on not using turn signals...

What is your biggest driving pet peeve?

I have two:

1) I live in a county full of small towns even on main roads there are many times especially late at night or at random times during the week when most are at work that you could be the only car you can see even on our main roads. There are many people (most of them seniors) that will see that one car coming down the road and wait until they are just in front of them to pull out in front of them... then drive 10 mph under the speed limit. Most of the time when this happens the road was clear before and after the my car or maybe there was one other behind me, it isn't like they had been there for 3-4 min and it was the only small gap in sight.

Note: I do realize younger people drive badly sometimes too however it is mostly the seniors that do this particular combination. The younger ones continue to speed after pulling out in front of you, so they annoy me for a shorter period of time :)

2) People that feel the need to beep at me that I'm not turning right on red... at intersections that either A: Have a red right turn arrow or B: Have a sign both next to me and near the light that says 'No turn on red'.

It also annoys me when they do this when I just stop for a bit longer then they like but at least that is a place where I really COULD turn.

Funny story on that last one though. Once my Dad was following me in his car and we came to a red light where I could turn right on red. I stopped a bit to long for Dad and he beeps. I then take my time and go when I felt it was safe. We stop just after that and Dad says "Why did you take so long? I only do it when some <non disney word> behind me is in too much of a hurry." To which I just said "Well..." My husband and my mother burst out laughing. Dad took a while to get what was so funny.

Probably the main one that steams me is when people choose a faster moving lane approaching a junction, knowing they really want the lane I am in, and then at the last minute cut in front of so they can go where they really want to go. Further away from the junction then sure, choose any lane and take your chances being able to get the opportunity to move into the one you really want, but don't wait until the last possible minute and then be a road hog trying to butt into the space in front of me and make me slam on my brakes! If I can I block people from doing that - find a sucker behind me to let you in.

This has been happening a lot here lately...at a four-way stop, the 2nd or 3rd driver at the sign doesn't pull up and stop when the 1st driver goes; they just sit there for a few seconds, several car lengths before the sign, then they floor it and cut you off.

My other "favorite" happened last week. My mother was driving, and we were waiting at a right-turn only stop sign to get out of the grocery store lot. There was a long line of cars in the road, spaced out pretty well and going the speed limit of 35 at least, but they all had their hazard lights flashing and some of them had flags on them. Clearly a funeral procession, right? So we waited, but the guy behind us was flipping out, honking, gesturing, yelling, etc. Dude, have a little respect, that's going to be you someday...

1. Kamikaze motorcylists.
2. People who have the light timed to the microsecond and pound on their horn as soon as the light changes.
3. Drivers mad when you don't gun the long since turned yellow light and stop as the light changes to red. Basically they want me to speed through so they can run a red light.

And no--I don't sit all day at lights or slow down when they are still green. I just live outside of DC.:rolleyes:

I really get annoyed when I get behind someone who is in the wrong lane and realizes it at an inopportune time so he/she is unable to just change lanes normally. Instead, they hit their breaks, throw on their signal, and just sit there holding up everyone around them while they wait for an opening to get into the correct lane. I have seen this happen at intersections, mostly, when a person wants to go straight but is in a turn lane or wants to turn and is in a straight lane. I have seen it in just the middle of the road, though. Poor planning on your part does not mean you get to hold up everyone behind you who knows where we are going. Oh, and it gets really bad when the people behind me are annoyed that we are stopped so they get over a lane to go around the stopped traffic so the person in front of me has to wait that much longer for an opening. Not saying I blame the person behind me. On the contrary. That is just another annoying thing that happens as a result of this person not going just a little bit farther and doubling back.

People who speed up (or down) to not let you merge onto highway

Oh and of coarse the worst of all....

DOGS IN DRIVERS LAP

As a spin off of the person ranting on not using turn signals...

What is your biggest driving pet peeve?

I have two:

1) I live in a county full of small towns even on main roads there are many times especially late at night or at random times during the week when most are at work that you could be the only car you can see even on our main roads. There are many people (most of them seniors) that will see that one car coming down the road and wait until they are just in front of them to pull out in front of them... then drive 10 mph under the speed limit. Most of the time when this happens the road was clear before and after the my car or maybe there was one other behind me, it isn't like they had been there for 3-4 min and it was the only small gap in sight.

Note: I do realize younger people drive badly sometimes too however it is mostly the seniors that do this particular combination. The younger ones continue to speed after pulling out in front of you, so they annoy me for a shorter period of time :)

2) People that feel the need to beep at me that I'm not turning right on red... at intersections that either A: Have a red right turn arrow or B: Have a sign both next to me and near the light that says 'No turn on red'.

It also annoys me when they do this when I just stop for a bit longer then they like but at least that is a place where I really COULD turn.

Funny story on that last one though. Once my Dad was following me in his car and we came to a red light where I could turn right on red. I stopped a bit to long for Dad and he beeps. I then take my time and go when I felt it was safe. We stop just after that and Dad says "Why did you take so long? I only do it when some <non disney word> behind me is in too much of a hurry." To which I just said "Well..." My husband and my mother burst out laughing. Dad took a while to get what was so funny.

Mine is the same as your first one, although it's not always senior drivers who do it. I just can never understand why they pull out like that though, and make you slow down or even put on your brakes if they waited too long to pull out. When there's not another car behind you at all, why can't they wait a few extra seconds for you to pass by before they pull out? :confused3 I really just don't understand it. It happens most frequently to me at one particular spot where the one road makes a jog, they'll pull out, go slower than the speed limit and then turn back at the jog which is about 1/8th of a mile away when they pull out in front of me. Most always they get my horn blown at them. :)

You know when you're driving down a 2-lane country road & see all that space to the left of the yellow line? None of that belongs to you. NONE.

Have too many to single out just one, so usually whatever happens most recently, lol.
Yesterday going home from work, I was on a side street in left turn lane waiting for light to change. So car in lane next to me has to go straight or make a right turn. Just before light turns green I hear sirens and since it is a pretty open area I could see an ambulance heading in the direction I was going to turn. So myself and the driver next to me waited for it to pass. As law requires. People behing blowing their horns altho they can clearly see and hear the ambulance.
Even after I make my turn, I can still see the ambulance further down the road. Didn't see any cars moving over to let it pass. Sad.

You know when you're driving down a 2-lane country road & see all that space to the left of the yellow line? None of that belongs to you. NONE.

Lol around here we have many roads that don't have a yellow line.

We also have many people that think that means anyone can drive wherever they want.

Drivers on the main road who start making their left turns too early and cut into my lane as I approach the intersection from the side street.

Drivers on the side street who start to turn left while still at the stop sign, partially blocking the other lane, making it difficult for drivers on the main road to make a left onto that side street.

Perhaps unique to NJ, drivers who want to make a left at a light where it is clearly marked "NO TURNS". (You need to make a right into one of our infamous "jughandles" in order to turn left at that light.)

Probably another dozen other left turn situations.

Drivers on the main road who start making their left turns too early and cut into my lane as I approach the intersection from the side street.

Drivers on the side street who start to turn left while still at the stop sign, partially blocking the other lane, making it difficult for drivers on the main road to make a left onto that side street.

Perhaps unique to NJ, drivers who want to make a left at a light where it is clearly marked "NO TURNS". (You need to make a right into one of our infamous "jughandles" in order to turn left at that light.)

Probably another dozen other left turn situations.

We had one of those turn right into this little road so you end up on the road to the left places. SOO many people didn't use it. It wasn't marked well and it is the only one I have ever seen.

Its not there anymore though. Walmart built a big new store there and paid to change the intersection into a normal 4 way intersection with the side that used to be the weird loop now just bringing you into their parking lot.

Throwing lit cigarettes out the window. :furious:

Yes

That is funny.

My biggest driving pet peeve is people who do anything esle when they drive.

I know you're on your phone. If you aren't on your phone and need to look at your lap that much while you drive, you should think about seeing a doctor.

If you're holding a bowl in one hand and a spoon in the other what hand are using to hold the steering wheel.

Please put your make up on before you leave the house,. Your driving skills will not get better after you have poked yourself in the eye with the mascara wand.

I live in Austin, and bikes and pedicabs are two big annoyances. I don't mind if they follow the traffic flow and laws, but they only seem to want to do that when convinient.

Examples of things that don't apply to them (in their mind):
Stop signs, one way streets, Crosswalks.

I hate it when a bike is in the street, following vehicle traffic, then swerves onto the sidewalk to cross in a crosswalk against traffic as if they were a pedestrian.

Or pedicabs, when traffic is stopped at a red light and they drive up the sidewalk and then back in the road in front of the first car waiting at the light so the entire line of cars that had been waiting before them at the light now have to wait for them to get moving and up to speed.

and don't get me started on people jogging in the road when there is a perfectly good sidewalk two feet to their right.

In my town, we have a 4-lane highway (2 lanes in each direction), with a turn lane in the middle. Both sides of the highway are chock full of stores, businesses and restaurants. Thus, realistically, the right lane tends to move slower with people having to turn into and out of traffic.

SO...if I am going, say, all the way to Target with is about 8 miles away, I'll get into the fast lane in order to keep moving (in theory), and because I will need to make a left into that parking lot. The speed limit is 45, but inevitably, I get behind someone going 35. AND, it's usually the same person who will come to an almost complete stop (in the fast lane), before getting into the turn lane to make their left.

Drives me batty!!!!!

Probably the main one that steams me is when people choose a faster moving lane approaching a junction, knowing they really want the lane I am in, and then at the last minute cut in front of so they can go where they really want to go.

Ohhhh, this is my number one, too. Especially at one particular intersection in my city.

Technically, I do this sometimes on a road where two lanes merge, but only because I know the left lane gets tied up with people whole want to move over into a third lane to turn left. But then I also make sure I am far ahead of the person in the next lane before I move over.

People who ignore no left turn signs.

People who don't go when the light changes.

Idiots who go 10 miles an hour under the speed limit.

Maniacs who go 20 miles an hour over the speed limit and get annoyed with me when I'm going 9 over.

yes, the Carlin reference was on purpose.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter