(spin off) What is the WORST Christmas gift you've ever received?

The first Christmas after DH and I got engaged he gave me a $50 Stop & Shop (grocery store) gift card :crazy2: I had mentioned how much all the Christmas groceries/baking supplies were costing and I guess he thought to offset some of the cost.

My adult neice was sitting with us when I opened it and she started dying laughing. I couldn't help myself and said, "this is the WORST GIFT EVER!" He still hasn't lived that down, but we still joke about it to this day! His and my co-workers love hearing that story every year!

Last edited:
The first Christmas DH and I were dating (in the early 90's) he gave me a Chicago Greatest Hits CD. I like Chicago but at the time I didn't have a CD player since they were still relatively new and kind of expensive for my budget. He said he got it for me but I could keep it at his house and listen to it whenever I wanted. :rolleyes2

We used to do Secret Santa with DH's siblings/spouses. My BIL drew my name and got me nothing, nada, zippo-he totally blew it off. I was a little embarrassed and really wanted it to die down but he followed me around for the rest of the day with a check.

The in laws...

My BIL and his girlfriend once gave me jewelry, a necklace and the gem was a tanzanite. Um...you are not my husband nor do I love you two and I don’t like tanzanite, I like diamonds but I will also take emeralds, opals or rubies but not from someone who is not my husband. Needless to say it sat in a drawer for a few years then I threw it away~didn’t care if it had monetary value.

Same BIL/GF gave me multiple years in a row the same 2 candle scents:balsam fir and evergreen (or something like that). Now I love a real Christmas tree and the smell of it but I do not like those scents. So in return I would get them candles that I liked, you know like Macintosh, pumpkin spice, etc...

Other BIL gave us one of those coffee table/side couch table zen water gardens. This is gong back about 15-20 yrs ago. I never used to and threw it away. Same BIL gave me a bunch of Disney snow globes. At least he knew I liked Disney but I am really not a dust collector person and those gloves require dusting of the small parts.

MIL- a taco salad maker, well the thing you put a wrap in and bake it so it comes crunchy in the shape of a taco bowl. Books to write about the house upkeep..um, there are computer programs for that, and pillow last year with a poinsettia. Ow I like those plants but they are not pretty on a pillow! She also gave me a blanket last year of a color I would not choose and really geared towards a males style.

I know there are more but I can’t recall. Oh one year my DH bought me a bunch of ornaments. Let’s just say quite a few are ugly, not something we participate in-he bought a Santa on a baby grand piano, um, neither of us plays a piano or has any interest in listening to a concert with a piano player. Every year I tell him a few of the ornaments I hate and he knows it! I am mean but hello...bad gift and you are my husband I had to train you that first Christmas!

A tanzanite necklace? I can't imagine the horror you have faced and yet you live to tell the tale...I think I have a new hero.

My brother and SIL got my mom a dog poop scooper a few years ago. They thought it was a great gift. My mom was so horrified, it was all she could do to not cry.

Wow, you’re pretty tough to please. None of the things you mention are totally outlandish and your reaction to the necklaces is actually kinda bizarre. Maybe tell all your friends and family to just go with Amazon gift cards and keep their heads down from now on...:duck:

Sorry but you sound super rude in this incident. That's a fabulous gift. It may not be your style but to just throw it away and be ungrateful. Wow.

This may be the strangest post I've ever read on these boards. Even if you didn't like the necklace, why would you throw it away? That makes no sense. I don't think any of that is "needless to say" at all...

Sorry to be the downer to your reading but the question was what was the worst Christmas gift you ever received, meaning what was MY worst gift. So these were my worst gifts. I just showed my DH slippers I got for him and he cringed so they are going back before he opens them on Christmas morning and he can find a pair that he likes and I will get them for him to open, am I pissed because they felt so super comfy? No, he does not like him, they are not his style of slippers. We all have what we consider like and don’t like and worst or best, right? These were my worst. I am not ungreatful, I was kind and polite at the gift receiving time. If I knew where the necklace came from I would of returned it to the store but that would be rude asking them that, don’t you think?

And to get a piece of jewelry from a BIL that I see once a year and have no relationship with *is*outlandish to me. Actually it was creepy to me. I mean, a man I have never hugged, kissed or spoke more 10 words to a year to and have no affection towards this man or his girlfriend, creepy! It is my DHs brother and they are not your typical brother to brother relationship or sibling relationship so it’s no skin off his back if I have no feelings towards his brother, most days he can’t tolerate him-long story, not into that story telling now. FYI, I don’t wear jewelry other then my wedding band/engagement ring. I have 2 bracelets from my boss and a watch bracelet and they don’t get worn either. I keep looking at them to toss but I can’t as long as I am still working there.

And what what I supposed to do with the necklace, it sat in my drawer for a good 5 years. I never wore it, never planned on wearing it and never planned for my girls to wear it. My husband told me to throw it away vs being a pack rat like his father was and how his brother is now. And the candles I got, yuck, not my choice of scent. I opened them both years I received the same scents, smelled them and said it’s so nice, capped them and returned them. Hmmm....I’d never buy perfume for someone not knowing for what scent they like, similar to candles, why would I want to burn a candle to a scent I don’t like.

Every year I tell my DH to tell his family to get me NOtHiNg since I know better. I want nothing, wait I expect nothing from them. I have already told him to tell them not to buy me anything this year and every year they do, But of late they have finally started to listen to my DH if they insist on getting me something.

It is difficult to buy gifts as is, but when you don’t know the person it is more difficult. That is why I have always made my DH ask his brother what his girlfriend would like. Just so I have ideas and I don’t get her something she has no use for. And no I have no desire to have any relationship with my BIL or his girlfriend. We come from different worlds.

Sorry if you don’t like MY opinions on MY worst gifts. Sorry you don’t like what I chose to do with MY worst gifts.

I like olives. A friends mom gave we a huge (like 1 gallon) glass jar of olives.
Only when I got them home, before I opened them, did I notice that molded in the glass was this: "FOR DECORATIVE USE ONLY, DO NOT EAT"

I received a gift that was supposed to be a Chinese lamp. It was made from plastic. I was afraid to plug it in thinking it might short out. It fell apart. I pretended I really liked it though.

I like olives. A friends mom gave we a huge (like 1 gallon) glass jar of olives.
Only when I got them home, before I opened them, did I notice that molded in the glass was this: "FOR DECORATIVE USE ONLY, DO NOT EAT"
LOL....I feel your pain. Decorative olives would only make me salivate on a regular basis.

The in laws...

My BIL and his girlfriend once gave me jewelry, a necklace and the gem was a tanzanite. Um...you are not my husband nor do I love you two and I don’t like tanzanite, I like diamonds but I will also take emeralds, opals or rubies but not from someone who is not my husband. Needless to say it sat in a drawer for a few years then I threw it away~didn’t care if it had monetary value.

Same BIL/GF gave me multiple years in a row the same 2 candle scents:balsam fir and evergreen (or something like that). Now I love a real Christmas tree and the smell of it but I do not like those scents. So in return I would get them candles that I liked, you know like Macintosh, pumpkin spice, etc...

Other BIL gave us one of those coffee table/side couch table zen water gardens. This is gong back about 15-20 yrs ago. I never used to and threw it away. Same BIL gave me a bunch of Disney snow globes. At least he knew I liked Disney but I am really not a dust collector person and those gloves require dusting of the small parts.

MIL- a taco salad maker, well the thing you put a wrap in and bake it so it comes crunchy in the shape of a taco bowl. Books to write about the house upkeep..um, there are computer programs for that, and pillow last year with a poinsettia. Ow I like those plants but they are not pretty on a pillow! She also gave me a blanket last year of a color I would not choose and really geared towards a males style.

I know there are more but I can’t recall. Oh one year my DH bought me a bunch of ornaments. Let’s just say quite a few are ugly, not something we participate in-he bought a Santa on a baby grand piano, um, neither of us plays a piano or has any interest in listening to a concert with a piano player. Every year I tell him a few of the ornaments I hate and he knows it! I am mean but hello...bad gift and you are my husband I had to train you that first Christmas!

Wow. I have to believe you are just trolling or something. Nobody is this ungrateful

My uncle got a sack of onions as a gag gift (the real gift was hidden inside). He was actually thrilled to get the onions LOL

My uncle got a sack of onions as a gag gift (the real gift was hidden inside). He was actually thrilled to get the onions LOL
My DH was over the moon one year when just for a lark I wrapped up a pound of bacon and put his name on it. It was the "good bacon", the thick-sliced, $12/lb stuff I never let him get when we're grocery shopping...:rotfl2:

My MIL gave my 6 yr old son 2 sets of special left handed scissors. Blunt and sharp.... my son is not left handed and when we asked her why she got these she told me maybe I can teach my son to be left handed like his father..... worst present, it made for a very awkward rest of the day. I’ve decided she’s crazy.

When I was a junior in high school, my then boyfriend got me these earrings. I don't know how to describe them other than we made these types of things in the 4th grade. There is a round black plastic base in a mold, then you pour clear plastic stuff in and put in a mining pan with gold specks. When it dries you take it out of the mold.

He was best friends with the most popular guy in school. His friend was dating my good friend that I had lived across the street from for years. The two guys thought the earrings were great. My friend didn't want to be around when I opened them because she thought they were ugly too.

I am friends with him on facebook now and glad I dodged that one. He plays pirate all the time in some group. It appears it's every day from the pictures.

:o
icon11.gif
A little regifting story from the heart...
A few years ago, my Dad mailed to me my Christmas gift (from Michigan) and well....let's just say that it was ummmmmmmm nice but the word tacky would have been an understatement of the year.

Ok....I know he meant well but........

He sent to me what looked like a wood carving of a oval shaped raised looking Donald Duck like meat platter......shelacked with some sort of a finish.
confused.gif

But the whole thing just looked like you could have placed it outside the entrance of a Tavern or bar in Colonial Philadelphia - advertising the establishment (I hope this gives a proper description of what that gaudy thing looked like).:scared1:

So...... me being the creative person that I am, decided to attend a local radio station's promotional after Christmas party called a "Regifting party."

.....and I bamboozled my wife partner to tag along with me
rolleyes.gif
.:headache:

FYI: NEVER NEVER bring your maritial spouse along with you to a regifting party - GO ALONE:laughing:.

That way you can pick out what Y-O-U want.:woohoo:

I digress -

So, she and I went in to the local shopping mall and attended the event. I tell you what there were row after row of the most gaudy stuff I have ever seen! I dang near got:sick: just seeing these things!

From neon candles, pink Flamingos to Harley Davidson piggy banks....it was there!

No, wait a minute - I spied a Harley Davidson piggy bank! So I got to thinking.......:rolleyes1

Since the rules of the game was to put on the table what you were regifting.....one could pick up from the table a gift that you actually wanted.

So, with great pride - I showed the DJ's what gift I was giving back (the Donald Duck wood carving) and picked up what I thought woudl be just the ideal gift for a friend of ours....who just happens to like Harleys.

As I walked back to my beloved, I showed her my booty......just to have her give me a stern look as she points back to the umteen row after table row of regifted items and says, "Put that disgusting thing back!.":headache:.

I settled on some stationary for her (peace offering)
wink.gif
.:littleangel:

Long story short - we get home.

Later on that eveing, we were watching tv around 9:55pm.

THEN - "IT HAPPENED."popcorn::

The local news was about to come on. The tv announcer was giving a tease to lead into the 10pm news. It went something like this:

"Coming up next - a local radio station has a regifting party. Lot's attended. See what was regifted. your local news is next."

NOW MIND YOU, , this tv station is on the air on tv's in the WHOLE DANG STATE OF TEXAS ......and I have a brother who lives in Houston, Texas....popcorn::

And she has family locally....

Anywho -

The video of the 2 minute tease is what just dropped us to our knees.....

cuz.......

they had an establishing shot of the outide of the Shopping Mall (Grapevine, Texas).......

Then they did a quick cut to the food court (where the regifting party was held; thus showing the radio station & ALL the regifting tables)......

Then a did another quick cut to ALL the regifting tables.....

AND......

OF ALL THE TACKY REGIFTED GIFTS THEY COULD HAVE CHOSEN TO AIR ON STATE OF TEXAS WIDE TELEVISION..........

take a wild guess which one they chose to to cut to ??

And S-T-A-Y-E-D focused on for the WHOLE STATE OF TEXAS TO SEE??

:idea:

YUP - You guessed it!

That Donald Duck "Meat platter" thingee! (or atleast it looked like a meat platter... I really don't know to this day what it was).

I digress -

She & I looked at each other after what appeared to be about 2 minutes of video of that tv station showing our Donald Duck meat platter......

as we both did a great imitation of that kid from the "Home Alone" movies as we yelled something like "ACCKKKKKKKKKKK"!!!!!!! to each other while we held our hands to the sides of our face...just cringing in disbelief.

We both really hoped that both familes DIDN'T see that video clip......that played continously throughout the WHOLE DAY:3dglasses on that tv station.

Moral of the story??

1) NEVER TAKE your spouse to a regifting party
wink.gif
.:thanks:
2) be discreet when you regift:lmao: cuz if ya don't watch out....you may have to backpedal verablly back to the giver of the gift and or their offended families.....like a MIL OR FIL
eek.gif

...and that would make you an ungiver of the attempted gifted gift as you tried to regift it and gifted an ungifted gift is ungift like if not discreet:lmao:.

3) and most importantly, tell your families who your favorite Disney character is cuz in my case......

MY FAV DISNEY CHARACTER IS - GOOFY:goodvibes.

P.S. Besides.....atleast I was able to keep the $25 shopping mall gift certificate for myself since I "gifted her" the stationary.....as I was singing Jeff Foxworthy's "12 Redneck Days of Christmas" (I participated in a fruit cake toss tossing it through a hole 50 feet away and won a gift certificate):yay:.

T.T.F.N.
&
Merry Christmas YA'LL:santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter