SPF hairspray?

londonpenguin

The Voice of Reason
Slathered myself with Bullfrog to go to the Highland Games last weekend -- worked great. The bit that got sunburned, though, was a line on the top of my scalp where my hair parts. Now it's peeling a bit, and it looks like I've got icky dandruff! :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of a hairspray with SPF? I'm not a hat person, but I don't want to suffer from "part burn" during our week at WDW.

I always use at least 15 SPF on my part. Put a little on your finger and run it along your part area. Don't overdo it for the "greaseball" look, but a little will protect you and not ruin your "style."

I thought I had heard (several years ago) of something like this. SPF mouse, or shampoo or something like that.

I am not a hat person either but at disney or when I am out in the sun for extended period (like Saturdays during soccer season) I wear one anyway.

I was a little curious about this myself. I have a "crew cut"...(hair is less than 1/4"). Should I just rub sunscreen all over my dome, or should I let it go? I really hate to wear a hat (hot and sweaty).

Bullfrog also makes a spray gel, that I use on my DS's head every day for day camp. I spray it in my part as well. So far all summer no burns. I DO love that Bullfrog.

Originally posted by CWIPPERMAN
I was a little curious about this myself. I have a "crew cut"...(hair is less than 1/4"). Should I just rub sunscreen all over my dome, or should I let it go? I really hate to wear a hat (hot and sweaty).

Coppertone now makes an SPF 30 Gel. It is ridiculously expensive, but it would work in hair that short, and will not leave you greasy.

Or you could try this Bullfrog stuff, which sounds interesting! Will have to get some for myself.

Bullfrog is the next best thing to peanut butter as the say.Recommended by our Pediatrician when my boys were younger, as one has red hair and the other burns easily. You can put it on and not reapply for hours, since we started using it no one in my family who was using it, has had sun burn both at the ocean or at WDW in the hot Florida sun, even in summer. It is waterproof and does not wash or sweat off...get the gel it is better, clear stuff, rubs on easily and no greasy feel or smeary cream on you.

As far as heads and parts go..my older red haired son is in the Army and when he was in Saudi Arabia, he used the spray on bull frog on his head, it is a pump spray and he has almost a shaved head. When he was working with his helmet on he did not need it of course, but in off hours he would spray it on..I kept him well supplied with the stuff from home. He said it was not greasy but I think you would need to wash your hair each day after spraying it on your part or head.

Banana Boat makes an Ultra Sunblock Quick Dry Spray (SPF30). It is oil-free and leaves no greasy residue. Smells great, too! I found a 6 fl. oz. bottle at Big Lots for $2.99.

I have seen a sunblock hairspray specifically made for getting those hard to reach places. It was made either by Hawaiian tropic or Coppertone. Last time I saw it was at Jewel/Osco a couple years ago- but I haven't searched for it since. It has a neat spray attachment that lets you spray right near your scalp and it is supposed to be non-greasy so that you don't feel all gross after applying it!

Toys R Us. It's called Baby Blanket tender scalps sunblock. It is alcohol-free, and non-greasy. The SPF is 45+, and is waterproof. It was only 4.99 a bottle.

Shannie:p :p :p

Not having kids myself, I didn't think about looking for a product for babies, but it just seems so obvious now! Can you tell me if the BabyBlanket stuff smells like baby powder? Can't stand that smell --- I get nauseated.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Just opened it up, and it doesnt have any smell to it at all. I'm like you, cant stand to smell lotions all day long....lol

Hope that helps ya!!

Shannie:p :p :p

The DIS is such an informative place!! Going to tell my kids about the tender scalp products for the grandchildren. If anyone reads this that uses the Bullfrog gel...How about the Bullfrog products? Is the gel something I might use. I am fairskinned and "older".:)

Faith:

I don't really like the Bullfrog gel. It's true that it dries quickly and leaves no greasy residue, but I''ve found that once it dries if you rub your arm, leg, whatever, it leaves little balls of goo....I'm guessing it's the gel. Anyone else had this problem?

We got Banana Boat Hair and Scalp SPF 15 spray for our trip. It is water-based and sprays on just like hairspray -- no residue, no stickiness. It worked great, no complaints here. I found it at K-Mart for $4.99.

Another vote for Bannana Boat Hair and Scalp. Bought this at Target and used it for our trip last Feb, and will be taking it with me for our trip tomorrow:Pinkbounc

We used the coppertone sport spray. It's in a blue bottle. It's a little pricey compared to the lotions, but you just use a couple of squirts instead of a handful! DD got her hair braided on the cruise, and the spray was the BEST way to keep the part from burning.

It's in a spray bottle. I lightly misted it on every morning and it lasted all day. I didn't burn at all on my last trip to WDW (in April). Love the stuff!

Faith,

I too am very fair skinned and use Bullfrog ALL the time (and I'm 36, so definitely not a kid! :p )

Sandyrob,

I agree, the regular gel does tend to peel or something. But...the spray gel does not at all. I spray DS every morning before he goes to daycare, they spray him before they go outside in the morning and the aftenoon. We have not had ONE burn, and the spray does not seem to do what the regular gel does.

Hope this helps

Debbie

Faith,

Thanks for the tip! We really like how the gel goes and how quickly it dries, but thought the peely stuff was yucky :) Next time, I'll buy the spray!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter