• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spending Disney gift cards: What works for YOU?

perchy

WDW Resort Hopper
I struggle with finding a method that consistently works for me to spend our gift cards.

I can earn points when I use my Disney Visa.
That checkout bill always settles before I can apply any cards.
I am wondering how everyone prefers to use their cards in a way that works for them.

Let's hear it.

I struggle with finding a method that consistently works for me to spend our gift cards.

I am wondering how everyone prefers to use their cards in a way that works for them.

Let's hear it.
  1. I pay my DVC dues with them.
  2. I carry a physical GC with me and pay with it at most locations.
  3. When I have used my MB to make charges back to the room, I go to the front desk that evening and settle my account before they can push the charges through on my CC.

I used my Disney Rewards to pay my DVC dues. I thought that was awesome.

I go to the front desk every other day and pay down any charges using my gift cards. And again the evening before checkout. I've never had any issues doing it that way.

Let's hear it.
Are the gift cards from using your Disney Visa? Or buying them at other stores? Just curious, don't have a Disney visa.

I used my Disney Rewards to pay my DVC dues. I thought that was awesome.
I can purchase the gift cards for at least 5% off, most times more than that. Why settle for 1%-2% in Disney Visa Rewards from their co-branded Visa card?

I plan on using them for Genie+, ILL$, balance of hotel, food, merch, and anyplace else that will accept them. I have used my Disney Visa for all expenses over the last three years and have racked up quite a bit of rewards to use in conjunction with the Giftcards I purchased at a discount.

As far as the room charges, I always make sure I go down the evening before we check out and settle any charges with gift cards.

This past trip, I just used the gift cards at TS restaurants because they didn't have the handheld MagicBand scanners most places to do a room charge.

Let's hear it.
I hand them to my wife and say "Dinner is on Mickey!" :smickey:

We go to front desk night befroe check out and pay our room charges with gift cards.

Also use gift cards to pay part of trip total before going

Use Disney rewards redemption card to pay for mobile ordering, gennie+, and ILL on our most recent trip!

1. I pay my DVC dues with the cards I buy and my redemption card.
2. I use the cards that are gifted to us to buy souvenirs for our kids.
3. I let the kids each use their own cards for whatever they want.
4. If I have any cards with leftover amounts after #1, I use them towards our AP renewals.

1. I pay my DVC dues with them.
  2. I carry a physical GC with me and pay with it at most locations.
  3. When I have used my MB to make charges back to the room, I go to the front desk that evening and settle my account before they can push the charges through on my CC.
I found that some things pushed through before night (AKL) which was really frustrating for me. So, I ended up intentionally not using the MB even though that was my preference. One CM at the front desk said that disabling express checkout would help that problem (which they did after my third trip to the desk to fix this) and it was frustrating because the first CM I spoke to said that I could use the MB all the time and not visit the desk any until I checked out (which I knew wasn't usually the case). I ended up keeping the card accessible but slightly hidden in a compartment in my backpack and just using the physical card for purchases (save the 2 GC I had specifically for each kid and souvenirs, which had their names on them with marker).

We paid for our room and ticket package entirely with Disney Gift Cards (purchased for a discount at Sam's & BJ's Warehouse) and Disney Visa Rewards. We carried a physical gift card with us to pay for all our meals, snacks and Genie+.

I go to the front desk every other day and pay down any charges using my gift cards. And again the evening before checkout. I've never had any issues doing it that way.
I need to do this on this coming trip! I figure if I go down daily and pay it down it won't push to our credit card.

I use them for our food. When we still were able to buy the dining plan we liked the convenience but it was never a good deal for us. And I’m not going to waste money for convenience.

The gift cards were a good compromise. The money was pre loaded and earmarked for our dining so it allowed my husband to relax about spending it more than constantly pulling out a credit card.

I go to Disneyland. I used gift cards to buy our tickets and then went to the ticket booth on the last day to upgrade to Magic Key. While at the parks I use my gift card to pay for Genie+, food & drink - both in-person & mobile order, and any merchandise bought in the store.

We pay for the DVC dues with DGC.
Always go to the resort service desk and pay off the day's charges every evening.
We've paid for DCL cruises with DGC and anything we purchased on the ship. On the ship when a total charge hits $500, the CC on the account is automatically pushed through. I don't know what the limit is at WDW but we are trained to hit the service desk well before the $500 mark.

1. Before we are there, we pay for our room & ticket package (when staying on site) and Memory Maker with them.
2. We charge everything to our rooms and pay off the tab daily at the resort front desk.
3. We're staying off site this next trip, so will be carrying a card with us for all in-park purchases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter