Spend the day in LA?

Thank you for the replies. My husband is not interested in Hollywood and the comment about unsafe to leave our luggage really sealed the deal for him to pass. My friend who has family from that area also mentioned Hunnington Beach. Perhaps we will just pass through and stop at In N Out along the way. Rest and enjoy Disneyland. We go to WDW annually and are very excited for Disneyland.
The key with the luggage is whether its visible. If you rent a vehicle with a trunk and keep everything in there, you are at no more risk than anyone else. Thieves are looking for visible valuables so they can smash and grab.

An extra precaution you can take is to not even open the trunk when you willl be parking the vehicle. For example, if going to the beach from the airport, keep everything you will take with you to the beach in the passenger part of the car. That way any would-be thieves waiting for an opportunity will not even see that you have luggage in the car.

This is just a normal precaution. Just like when you go shopping. Never put your purchases in your trunk and then walk away to do more shopping.

Now if the rental car is an SUV or hatchback, I wouldn't leave it anywhere unless you can keep a constant eye on it. Tinted windows and covers help, but its still risky.

All that said, they really aren't looking for luggage. Yeah, they might grab it in some situations, but really they are looking for visible electronics and small bags. Things they know have value and they can quickly get away with. They really aren't interested in swiping a big suitcase full of what is likely dirty clothes or toiletries.

The key with the luggage is whether its visible. If you rent a vehicle with a trunk and keep everything in there, you are at no more risk than anyone else. Thieves are looking for visible valuables so they can smash and grab.

An extra precaution you can take is to not even open the trunk when you willl be parking the vehicle. For example, if going to the beach from the airport, keep everything you will take with you to the beach in the passenger part of the car. That way any would-be thieves waiting for an opportunity will not even see that you have luggage in the car.

This is just a normal precaution. Just like when you go shopping. Never put your purchases in your trunk and then walk away to do more shopping.

Now if the rental car is an SUV or hatchback, I wouldn't leave it anywhere unless you can keep a constant eye on it. Tinted windows and covers help, but its still risky.

All that said, they really aren't looking for luggage. Yeah, they might grab it in some situations, but really they are looking for visible electronics and small bags. Things they know have value and they can quickly get away with. They really aren't interested in swiping a big suitcase full of what is likely dirty clothes or toiletries.
All very good advice! Since these folks have 4 adults and 4 good-sized (non-baby) sized kids, I think they will be in an SUV where luggage would be difficult to conceal (especially luggage for 8 people, unless they all pack much more lightly than my family!!). But great to have the comments about a car with a trunk for others who might be reading the thread and can fit into a car with a trunk.

All very good advice! Since these folks have 4 adults and 4 good-sized (non-baby) sized kids, I think they will be in an SUV where luggage would be difficult to conceal (especially luggage for 8 people, unless they all pack much more lightly than my family!!). But great to have the comments about a car with a trunk for others who might be reading the thread and can fit into a car with a trunk.
Good point,

Considering they would need a premium SUV or minivan to fit 8 people plus luggage, it would probably be more economical to rent two sedans though. At least that has been my experience with pricing out these types of rentals. 7 passenger vehicles are expensive, but moving to that 8th passenger usually really shoots up in price.

Which would bring the trunks back into play. Of course all of this is a hassle, but just saying it could work.

My concern would be that, while the adults might like to see Hollywood, Venice and Santa Monica, the 8-11 year old kids might be bored. Not to mention the fact that Hollywood Blvd and Venice Beach can get pretty sketchy.

Right now, at noon on a Friday, Google Maps is showing 56 minutes from LAX to Hollywood and 1 hr, 20 min from Hollywood to Disneyland. That's a lot of drive time to try to keep everyone happy.
My humble opinions as a native Angelino in my 40's.

I wouldn't take kids that young to those places. Maybe SM. Hollywood is a lot of garbage and pee pee. Like, maybe drive down Sunset blvd and up Hollywood blvd but it is just traffic and not much to see. Crack heads dressed like cartoon characters berating tourists for tips. Venice is about the same. Watch the show Californication, American History X, I Love You Man, and White Men Can't Jump and you'll see all you need to see of Venice.

The Hollywood Bowl is cool out of all of that and I believe you're allowed to go in there when there are no concerts.

I'm going to a concert there in a week and a half so I was doing some research on my seats.

Traffic will be terrible and worse depending on the time you're there. I bought my car in Beverly Hills back in August and had to go down there two days in a row (once to buy once to pick up). I was taking Highland back to the 101 and got stuck in Tears for Fears traffic by the Bowl the first evening around 6pm. It took me 40 minutes to go 2 miles. The next evening no event at the Bowl and it took almost as long at the same time. Maybe 20 min less. Plus the drive to Anaheim after a travel day will have everyone hangry and cranky. Just my $0.02

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter