Specialty Restaurants: Book ahead?

kathleendsm

Mouseketeer
We're doing our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Liberty in March (after having cruised on Disney twice). I'm wondering how critical it is to make specialty restaurant reservations before the cruise, and whether they're fairly available once on board. We're also in a Grand Suite so will have access to the concierge. My assumption has been that the concierge will be able to help us get them, and I'm not sure what nights we'll want to eat in them yet, but I definitely don't want to lose out! Any advice is helpful.

We're doing our first Royal Caribbean cruise on Liberty in March (after having cruised on Disney twice). I'm wondering how critical it is to make specialty restaurant reservations before the cruise, and whether they're fairly available once on board. We're also in a Grand Suite so will have access to the concierge. My assumption has been that the concierge will be able to help us get them, and I'm not sure what nights we'll want to eat in them yet, but I definitely don't want to lose out! Any advice is helpful.

when we stay concierge, we generally just wait to book onboard and have the concierge do it for us. the last couple of times we went to chops on liberty, it was half-empty, anyway. i'm not sure why, as it was very good -- way better than chops on some of the other ships. in any case, you're fine letting the concierge do it once you're onboard.

the only exception might be if you are a very large group; then i might book ahead. the concierge can always change your reservation times/dates for you. also, i can't promise it always works this way, but on liberty there have been a couple of times i've had to cancel restaurant reservations or shore excursions, and when i've had the concierge do it i've not been charged, even if i'm within 24 or 48 hours or whatever their policy is.

when we stay concierge, we generally just wait to book onboard and have the concierge do it for us. the last couple of times we went to chops on liberty, it was half-empty, anyway. i'm not sure why, as it was very good -- way better than chops on some of the other ships. in any case, you're fine letting the concierge do it once you're onboard.

the only exception might be if you are a very large group; then i might book ahead. the concierge can always change your reservation times/dates for you. also, i can't promise it always works this way, but on liberty there have been a couple of times i've had to cancel restaurant reservations or shore excursions, and when i've had the concierge do it i've not been charged, even if i'm within 24 or 48 hours or whatever their policy is.

Thanks, that's helpful! Not a large group, just the 4 of us (2 parents and 2 kids). My expectation is that the ship will be fairly crowded since it's spring break week here in Texas and she'll be fairly fresh out of drydock with new upgrades. Hopefully the concierge will be able to get us in! We're pretty flexible on times, the only night I'd like to definitely eat in the MDR is on formal night because we do like to go all out.

Thanks, that's helpful! Not a large group, just the 4 of us (2 parents and 2 kids). My expectation is that the ship will be fairly crowded since it's spring break week here in Texas and she'll be fairly fresh out of drydock with new upgrades. Hopefully the concierge will be able to get us in! We're pretty flexible on times, the only night I'd like to definitely eat in the MDR is on formal night because we do like to go all out.

a party of 4 should be fine. if it helps, formal night is almost always night 2; if the cruise is 6 nights or longer, there will be a second formal night, usually on night 5 or 6 (if a 7-night cruise). so if you decide to book ahead of time, you'd probably be safe on nights 3 and 4 - those will most likely not be formal. we also like to dress up for formal night so avoid the specialties on those nights. :)

wait until you board. there are packages where you get a discount if you book more than one night. plus a couple of nights are taken up by the mystery Dinner. also if you book ahead you are charged immediately,. whereas on board you can use OBC.

I HIGHLY recommend you use Chops for breakfast too. far more intimate than the buffet and far faster service than in the MDR.

the first two nights specialties can be much more crowded due to the BOGO offer for C&A members.

I've sailed on Liberty - it's a beautiful ship! I'd wait and let the concierge handle your reservations.

When I have concierge access, they always come through

Wait til you board. The concierge can easily book what you want. Last time the offered deals since most were under booked

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter