special needs on disney cruise

nanatink

DIS Veteran
Now the family wants to go on a cruise. I'm a little worried. You know the unknown, never been. My main concern is the the disease (CMT) I have causes me to loose balance and my walking ability is fair. I'm planning on not taking my wheel chair on the ship. With the help of my dh, I hold on to him for dear life sometimes, I should manage just find. Another thing I don't know about the seating for shows. I have trouble getting into seating at shows. I just can't turn my feet due to braces and I just step on people's toes and don't realise I did until I start to lose my balance. Do they have something like a gac on the ship that will allow me to have aisle seating or etc. Any information on cruising with a disabilty will be helpful. I know nothing about cruising but I would truly love to go. I do plan on going on shore excursions just to ride around and say I've been. I Know my limitations.:wave2:

I have been on DCL several times and will take a stab at your questions. Based on your post, I would very, very seriously consider taking your wc with you. The ship is big, and it is hence a big walk to get from one end to the other. There also often is no available seating if you are waiting (e.g., to be admitted at a show). Also, it is, of course, a ship and hence has the potential to be not totally steady. They do a good job with this, but weather is weather and there can sometimes only be so much they can do. It just seems easier to have your wc so you can use it if you'd like to. Take a look at http://allearsnet.com/cruise/cruise.shtml and click on the Magical Disney Cruise Guide links in the upper left for a great resource on what is available on board and then look at the deck plans on www.disneycruise.com. You will see there is a potential for quite a bit of walking/standing.

If it is easier to rent, DISers have reported renting wcs/ECVs for DCL from: http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
(800) 741-2282 (folding wc for 1 week cruise for $55 and $20 delivery fee).

Not sure about seating at shows as I just sit near the back so I don't have to go up/down too many stairs. They do have a wc area. I haven't heard of a GAC type thing for the ship, but suggest that you go to guest services when you board to ask or explain your needs to the CM directing seating.

Re shore excursions, you say you want to "ride around and say I've been." The excursions are not run by DCL, they are not subject to the ADA if you are outside the US, and it is hard to get reliable info on them. For example, I went on the trolley tour of Key West on the theory that I would see some sights and not have to walk. DCL told me it left from "very close" to the ship. So not true-- it was a big walk (15 min. in the heat) and then I had to stand for 10 minutes to wait for the trolley. If you tell us which itinerary you are going on, someone may be able to describe the shore situation better. For the 4-day cruise, we enjoy staying on board, having a leisurely meal, and relaxing when others are doing excursions (esp Nassau). Note that I also cannot tolerate a lot of sun, so my excursion choices are also limited by that.

To sum up: It just seems easier to bring your wc from what you have written. That way, if you want to use it for all or part of a day, you have it there. Also, feel free to post your itinerary for further comments on shore excursions. The cruise is a lot of fun!!!

:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter