Sparkle Skirts?

camaker

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
My wife is going to be running her first ever 5k at SWDS next month and I thought it would be good to get her a nice, fun piece of running clothing since she has very little. I've seen Sparkle Skirts mentioned on here a number of times and they look very nice on their website. But $90 shipped for one in her size? That seems excessive (to me, as a clearance rack shopping guy, at least). Can anyone give insight on what makes them worth the cost or suggest an alternative?

People use "sparkle skirts" to describe both sparkle skirts.com and sparkleathletic.com. With $90 I'm assuming the former.

It's a skirt and compression shorts combined. If you get the right size the shorts supposedly don't creep up. They have a devoted following.

They aren't pleasing to my personal sense of aesthetics so I didn't buy any. I have a decent few from skirtsports, one from runningskirt, but I personally prefer separates. I love my compression shorts from sweetspotskirts and my sparkleathletic dot-sparkle overskirt combo.

Sparkle skirts might not be worth $90 to me but they might be to your wife.

If you are just wanting to get a 'sparkly skirt' for her to wear look on etsy.com they have a bunch for $20 ish for a single color and up..

SpakleSkirts (with the shorts and high price tag) are amazing, I've had one that I've been running regularly in for 4 years now and it's still in great shape. Plus, there's an abundance of pockets for the phone/keys/etc. when you're running. Honestly, they'll be at the expo so you can save on shipping and if your wife has a hard time finding running shorts that work for her, they're 100% worth it.

I'm one of the devoted followers (although my collection is puny compared to many). I'd echo @MightyDuck001 in that while the price tag is high, they are a very high quality. I always used to buy cheaper running skirts from Target or Academy, but once I tried a SparkleSkirt I was hooked. The shorts truly stay in place and with the multitude of pockets and such, I can carry everything I need during a race without a belt and with room to spare. The only problem with that is I often end up serving as my husband's pack mule. ;) Some of my skirts are now over 3 years old and they still look and wear like they are brand new, so I've certainly found them to be good quality. That doesn't mean the price isn't ridiculous (because it is), but I generally find most athletic clothing to be grossly over priced for what it is. Anyway, for a special treat and a surprise, you might want to spring for it.

They're worth it because...

1. If you get your correct size, the shorts don't creep up
2. They have awesome pockets (one on each short leg and a longer one with a zipper on the waistband) - so no fuel belt needed for longer runs
3. If you care for them properly, they last a long time (I still have, and regularly use, my first skirt that I bought in 2012ish)
4. The price is on-par with other high-end athletic bottoms (but they don't have nearly as many pockets)

Assuming they (SparkleSkirts) will be at the expo, maybe wait and have your wife buy one there. That way she can pick the pattern she likes and can try them on right there. You'll save on shipping but I think you'll have to pay tax.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about www.sparkleskirts.com

I would like to ask a follow up to the OPs question:

Will we know in advance that they will be at the Expo? And, if we aren't arriving until Friday (the second expo day?) will a variety of sizes still be available? Thanks.

@Sailormoon2 I just looked at the Dark Side Event guide - they'll be there.

Normally they're good about bringing a variety of sizes, but sometimes they have limited edition skirts that'll sell out on Day 1.

I would like to ask a follow up to the OPs question:

Will we know in advance that they will be at the Expo? And, if we aren't arriving until Friday (the second expo day?) will a variety of sizes still be available? Thanks.

If you look at the event guide, SparkleSkirts is listed as one of the vendors. They usually have a good variety of skirts and sizes. I love my SparkleSkirts and I feel that they are worth the money.

Just a tip, have your wife try on the skirts before you purchase one. The sizes can be a bit difficult to determine.

They're worth it because...

1. If you get your correct size, the shorts don't creep up
2. They have awesome pockets (one on each short leg and a longer one with a zipper on the waistband) - so no fuel belt needed for longer runs
3. If you care for them properly, they last a long time (I still have, and regularly use, my first skirt that I bought in 2012ish)
4. The price is on-par with other high-end athletic bottoms (but they don't have nearly as many pockets)

Assuming they (SparkleSkirts) will be at the expo, maybe wait and have your wife buy one there. That way she can pick the pattern she likes and can try them on right there. You'll save on shipping but I think you'll have to pay tax.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm talking about www.sparkleskirts.com

All of this! I "only" have 2 skirts but they are all I will do races and long runs in due to the pockets. I no longer have to wear a spi belt to carry my essentials. Plus I think they are more flattering on me than most running capri's are.

Just a tip, have your wife try on the skirts before you purchase one. The sizes can be a bit difficult to determine.

OP asked about shipping, which indicates to me this may be a surprise. This seems like dangerous territory, having to select a size, length, style, and pattern all on your own. Maybe a gift certificate?

OP asked about shipping, which indicates to me this may be a surprise. This seems like dangerous territory, having to select a size, length, style, and pattern all on your own. Maybe a gift certificate?

Thanks to everyone who has responded. There's been a lot of good information given and a good bit for me to think about. To clarify some of the questions that have come up as the OP, the pattern, style and length are not an issue as she previously looked through the site and showed an interest in a select few prior to deeming them "too expensive". Without going into too much detail, there is also only one size option that would work for her, otherwise they just won't fit. In an ideal world it would be great to have her try them on at the expo, but there is no way she is going to do that. She is far too self-conscious and will be completely overwhelmed by the crowds and closeness of the expo. That's why I really wanted to pre-order.

I believe that you can also put in a comment that you want to pick up the skirt at the expo and I think they will credit you back for the shipping. I don't remember the specifics of it, but if you call, or email, them I'm sure they can clarify that for you. Maybe sneak over and pick it up while your wife is off in a different area of the expo?

They don't always do expo pick-up, so I wouldn't count on that option.

OP, I think I get what you're saying concerning the sizing, and if you think you know what she'd like and that she'd feel better trying the skirt privately, that sounds like a very nice gift. At past expos their "dressing room" has been a small area surrounded by a curtain, and it can definitely be an overwhelming thing due to lack of space, knowing others are waiting, etc.

Make sure you familiarize yourself with their return/exchange policy in case it doesn't work out. :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE Sparkle Skirts! I was really hesitant before I bought my first one, mainly because of price. I was in love after my first run in one. I have more than I care to admit now. They are worth every single penny.

Another great thing about them is that as long as you care for them, they retain much of their value on the resale market.

As long as you are not getting a clearance skirt, they have a very generous return policy and they have great customer service!

I called sparkle skirts yesterday to confirm if they were going to have a certain skirt there, so calling to confirm stock is a good idea!

They are fantastic and non-judgmental people. I've tried on several skirts (haven't bought one - yet!) and they fit, feel great. They have many varieties for everyone. If your wife is starting running, I really recommend them. I really love skirts - freedom of movement and none of the nasty bunching that you get with pants.

The try-on booth is to the side of their display. I recommend trying the skirts on there. I don't have the best runners body, but if someone gets a little peek of me by accident, that's their issue, not mine. I'm there to get a skirt and I would never get something without trying on first. And don't fret about size, it's just a random number assigned to a garment.
And no one worries or cares at an expo, they are too busy with themselves!

Have your DW pick out something that if money was no option, she would like. Call sparkle to see if they will have it. The skirts will feel tight because they are compression. The staff there are great and will work to get her the right fit. Go to the first expo and get there as early as possible. You will get the best selection as well as the slowest crowds. Good luck, and I hope she feels great in a skirt!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has responded. There's been a lot of good information given and a good bit for me to think about. To clarify some of the questions that have come up as the OP, the pattern, style and length are not an issue as she previously looked through the site and showed an interest in a select few prior to deeming them "too expensive". Without going into too much detail, there is also only one size option that would work for her, otherwise they just won't fit. In an ideal world it would be great to have her try them on at the expo, but there is no way she is going to do that. She is far too self-conscious and will be completely overwhelmed by the crowds and closeness of the expo. That's why I really wanted to pre-order.

I'd totally email them about sizing/expo availability--they're a really nice, very personable company of people and have phenomenal customer service. Honestly, I can't afford a LOT of skirts, but I'm always happy when I shop with them and feel like overall it was a good value.

Love my sparkle skirts. I'm packing them for my trip to the beach next week. The legs don't ride. The pockets are amazing. If you follow the care instructions they will last a long time so well worth the cost. I have cheap ones that had to be tossed after a few wears because they fell apart or stretched or shrunk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter