• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spare cell phone battiers on planes-lithium batteries

DWeav

Mouseketeer
Not sure if this is an okay place to ask this or not. I recently bought some spare lithium batteries for my LGG4 Smartphone. We are flying into Orlando in 8 days, woot woot! I read that you must carry on any lithium batteries (not store them in checked luggage on the plane).

Anyone else do this? Do they ever give you an issue with a lithium cell phone battery or power bank? Doesn't sound like they do, based on the power sizes, but i also just have them loose (not in a special holder or anything). Should i have them in plastic bags or something when taking them through security?

Am i thinking too much into this?

Thanks!

No problem. I carry a spare power bank in a carry-on all the time. Just put them in the suitcase and leave them there unless TSA tells you otherwise. No plastic bags are necessary.

I guess I'm more thinking of the cell phone batteries themselves. The LGG4 allows me to swap out the battery easy and since they are cheap $5 each, I have 3 spare ones. But when they are not inside the phone, I supposed the terminals on the batteries are exposed. Wasn't sure if that was an issue.

I don't think they will get you for having loose batteries. For piece of mind, maybe put each in to a snack size ziplock.

Loose lithium batteries (i.e. not in a device) are prohibited in checked luggage. Large (like, bigger than most laptop batteries) have special rules for carry on baggage. As long as they’re in your checked bags, you should be fine.

A “power bank” is not the same as a loose battery. Loose batteries have the special rules.

I had no idea there were any restrictions. I also have a LGG4 and 3 extra batteries. Traveled 4 flights on Southwest through CMH, TPA, and MCO last month with extra batteries and phone in my carry on. No problems whatsoever.

I'm glad that you posted this thread because I am considering buying a lightweight, foldable wheelchair to use on the airline travel which also uses rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. The three-wheel mobility scooter that own has become to heavy for me. I also enjoyed reading other poster's comments.

The following is what I found out from the F.D.A about rechargeable versus throw away lithium-ion batteries:

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/hazmat_safety/more_info/?hazmat=40

Pack Safe
Wheelchairs and mobility devices with lithium ion batteries, collapsible design, battery removed

Electric wheelchair, mobility scooter

This description is for a wheelchair or mobility device that does not have a protective housing for its lithium ion battery. Lithium ion battery size is limited to 300 watt hours (Wh) or 25 grams equivalent lithium content (ELC). One spare battery not exceeding 300 Wh or two spare batteries not exceeding 160 Wh (13.5 grams ELC) each may be carried in carry-on baggage.

Lithium metal (non-rechargeable lithium) batteries are forbidden with these devices.

Lithium ion batteries must be removed from this type of mobility device and battery terminals protected from short circuit. The lithium ion batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only. The passenger must advise the airline of the battery location. The airline must notify the Pilot-in-command of the battery location in the cabin.

For complete passenger instructions contact your airline. Advance arrangements and extra check-in time may be necessary.

Though allowable, airlines may not be able to accommodate the folded-up wheelchair/device in the passenger cabin. The device, with batteries removed, may travel as checked baggage

Not sure if this is an okay place to ask this or not. I recently bought some spare lithium batteries for my LGG4 Smartphone. We are flying into Orlando in 8 days, woot woot! I read that you must carry on any lithium batteries (not store them in checked luggage on the plane).

Anyone else do this? Do they ever give you an issue with a lithium cell phone battery or power bank? Doesn't sound like they do, based on the power sizes, but i also just have them loose (not in a special holder or anything). Should i have them in plastic bags or something when taking them through security?

Am i thinking too much into this?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter