SPACE RESTAURANT WATCH THREAD—Entrance photos post #1609!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but from the concept art, I think the tables are affixed and may not be portable where they can easily remove some and spread the rest out, which means they would likely go the route of many places and just have every other table not being used. I'm also assuming that the tables had already been installed since they were SOOOO close to opening ("soon") when COVID hit, so not likely that they would adjust how many they put in at first and add more later.

I can't remember what the concept art looks like, but yes that makes sense.

One obstacle with a dining experience like this is probably a high operating cost. With lower capacity it could just be the math doesn't work well. Maybe they've figured it best waiting for capacity to expand first, which may be starting to happen soon.

Just thinking out loud but wondering if Disney is working hard to open a restaurant during reduced seating times that was already going to be in great demand? Would it be good PR for them to open something when the majority of people are unable to get a reservation? I can see a lot of disappointed people when it first opens.
In the past, Disney has loved the buzz of the high demand (think, CRT !). Having limited capacity can only help fuel that sense of scarcity and limited availability, which makes it more desirable. I don't think that is the reason why they are not opening. I think it is what @Runnsally said. It's an issue of revenue vs expense. Even without a pandemic, restaurants operate with smaller margins compared to other industries. And they had to have imagine that the demand for this one would have been high. So, having to cut down the capacity must really hurt what they would have projected.

Plus, then they have to also maneuver through the potential impact of the pandemic on the restaurant. Restaurant workers have been hit hard. Kitchen areas are closed, confined spaces. If it isn't a clear win in the revenue vs expense department, waiting until things are a little better and capacity is a little higher can make a big difference.

I thought there was new movement in the area - trash cans put in place etc. recently? Do we think they are holding off on this until October for the 50th Anniversary? Or is there a chance this restaurant will not open at all? Perhaps it's a Covid thing and they can't open the elevator part of the concept...

Just spit-ballin' here, but wouldn't it make more business sense to re-open the existing eateries around the property before adding additional venues? I could easily see this being pushed to 2022. Disclaimer: I'm just some random guy on the internet so I have no idea, just a hunch.:)

Just spit-ballin' here, but wouldn't it make more business sense to re-open the existing eateries around the property before adding additional venues? I could easily see this being pushed to 2022. Disclaimer: I'm just some random guy on the internet so I have no idea, just a hunch.:)

I don't know how the revenue share for operating partners works, but this one is owned and operated by Patina Restaurant Group. It could be that Disney isn't getting any rent or revenue from Patina until the restaurant actually opens - and for what it's worth, all of Patina's other WDW restaurants have reopened already.

(On the other hand, the owner of Big River Grille had been trying to open back up since last summer, but Disney refused to let them reopen until a little over a month ago.)

I am also just theorizing, but I think *if* the 220 kitchen is large enough for the chefs to properly socially distance themselves it could open before other existing restaurants. My understanding is that tight kitchen quarters has held up reopening for some popular QS and TS. I do think it isn’t going to be any time soon though, maybe late fall 2021.

This might be my favorite thread. It's like a Seinfeld episode. Goes on forever with no real conclusion.... Still watching....Still waiting.... I can't wait for it to open, but I'm afraid it will be like the little boy who cried 'wolf'....Maybe I won't take it seriously when it really IS open. Fingers crossed!

That’s exactly what this forum is like! It’s one of the things I love most about Disney people. We can spend years speculating and theorizing about something that may or may not open. I’ve planned half of our trip next year around making sure Space220 is the last dinner but I don’t even know if it will even be open 😂

We will be at WDW for Christmas this year ( subject to borders opening and being allowed to fly from the UK!) I have planned for us to eat dinner at Space 220 on Christmas eve for my daughter's birthday. I guess the back up plan would be good old faithful garden grill!

That’s exactly what this forum is like! It’s one of the things I love most about Disney people. We can spend years speculating and theorizing about something that may or may not open. I’ve planned half of our trip next year around making sure Space220 is the last dinner but I don’t even know if it will even be open 😂
Yes! Still following since hmm I can’t remember, but has been months 😂! Still waiting😂

Total speculation: opens early September, $55 prix fixe for breakfast, $75 prix fixe for lunch/dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter