Space Mtn WDW v Space Mtn DLR?

austinelsa

Mouseketeer
i am a DLR girl, taking my 2nd trip to WDW next week.
(I've been to WDW, but like 15 years ago and before i had kids)

Space at DLR is my absolute fave ride in the entire world. The music really just hits for me. I prioritized it and go on it multiple times when Im at DLR and just love it.

Am I going to be disappointed without the music at WDW since they are so different? I ask b/c im trying to prioritize rides and LLs with my fam, and trying to decide if its worth putting alot of effort into riding the WDW space.

I would be riding alone - my kids are both too young and also scared of fast coasters/dark.

thanks!

i am a DLR girl, taking my 2nd trip to WDW next week.
(I've been to WDW, but like 15 years ago and before i had kids)

Space at DLR is my absolute fave ride in the entire world. The music really just hits for me. I prioritized it and go on it multiple times when Im at DLR and just love it.

Am I going to be disappointed without the music at WDW since they are so different? I ask b/c im trying to prioritize rides and LLs with my fam, and trying to decide if its worth putting alot of effort into riding the WDW space.

I would be riding alone - my kids are both too young and also scared of fast coasters/dark.

thanks!
I used to live in Southern Cal so I understand your dilemma. First... DLR's Space Mountain wins in terms of experience. However, Space Mountain in WDW is very different, yet totally fun ride. It is not a ride that I prioritize in WDW, but that's not to say I don't enjoy it. Do miss the music and the Loooooonnnggg walkway up to the ride. There's still a long walkway, but it's inside and dark. I'd make an effort to ride because...why not! Just realize that though the names are the same, the experience is different. That can be said of Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates..... Just enjoy it for what it is. Have a great trip!

I like SM at DL better than at WDW, but the one at WDW is still a fun roller coaster, and as above it's completely different from the one at DL. We don't ride anymore because it's too hard to get out (the seats are more toboggan style), but if they fixed that problem, SM would be back as one of my "must do" rides.

If you love DL version you’ll still love MK version. But yes no music is a bummer and the ride vehicle and load aren’t as good as DL. The overall queue is still pretty cool though.

Space is one of my favorite rides at DL and I ride it as many times as I reasonably can when there. After riding the DL version I stopped bothering with the WDW version. DL's was so much better in my opinion and it just didn't seem worth it anymore at WDW. But, as you can see from the comments above mine, you may still love it and won't know if you do until you try it. I hope you have a great trip!

WDW too jerky.
I stopped riding it.
Seating is one in front of the other instead of 2 together. DGS like DL, but didn't like WDW because of the seating. He needed reassurance of someone by him

You should try it at least once. The version at Disneyland is significantly better, but WDW is unique too. I still love the long tunnel queue of WDWs version, but mostly due to nostalgia. I spent my childhood going to WDW, but DL has been my home park for over 20 years now so I'm biased. Be prepared for how rough WDWs is, though. It's similar to Matterhorn in terms of being a rough ride.

Disney World's Space Mountain is no fun for me. Disneyland's Space Mountain is FANTASTIC. However, I don't really remember much about the difference in music between the two, I just remember the SMOOTHness of Land and the horrific, headache inducing JERKINESS of World. If the music matters to you and there is a difference in that area, then go ahead and skip it. The actual ride is not worth it in my opinion. I like the queue better than Land, however...but the difficult to get in and out of ride vehicle and the really awful track and ride at World is super bad.

We thought the ride was much better at DL, so smooth. WDW's SM is pretty rough in comparison, but it has a super cool queue. The queue at DL is awful, IMO. I think you need to experience it for yourself. Since it's definitely different it should go on your to do list.

Space Mountain at WDW is pretty much as rough as Matterhorn. Space Mountain at DL is far superior IMO. You should experience it once but chalk it up like a few other sister attractions SW and POTC do it once to experience it but DL is better

I think you got to try it once with an open mind. I've done the DL version once and to me that version didn't live up to DW because of the music. To me, the music both before you ride and on the ride at the DW version makes the ride special moreso than any other ride at any of the parks. Even though I didn't like it as much, I am still glad I tried the DL version though.

It is a matter of perspective though. The queue is very different and the music on the ride is very different. But the DW version is absolutely special to many people before, during, and even after you ride.

If the conflicting advice from this thread doesn't help you decide, you can get a taste of Space Mountain from riding the Peoplemover. Maybe riding.that would help settle your mind.

It is a rough ride. The good people of Disboards are not kidding about that.

I prefer WDW -- feels faster and overall more exciting to me. The DLP version is awesome, but by North American standards it's more Rock'n'Roller Coaster than Space Mountain.

I refuse to ride SM at WDW anymore. It's absolute junk compared to DLR's SM. It physically is painful for me. I'm 5'10 and I have to cram myself into the ride vehicle. The ride is so jerky that the last few times I've ridden, I've had bad back/neck pain the rest of my trip and/or ended up with a migraine. I think if you're used to the smoothness of DL's, you'll definitely be disappointed. 😕

I don't bother with Space Mountain at WDW, if my kids aren't riding with me. Too much else to prioritize.

WDW's SM is more thrilling, but also a rougher ride. I always hang on tight, to smooth it out. Of course, I do that with any coaster that I consider rough. As long as they're not painful, I sitll enjoy riding them.

Both versions are must rides for us, on either coast.

I prefer DL and my daughter prefers WDW.

We like the differences the ‘same’ rides offer at each park so we ride them with an open mind and and joy both the similarities and differences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter