• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space mountain with lights on

While I've never ridden it with the lights on, I think I'd prefer it that way. At least I'd be able to see what's coming and prepare my body for it. As it is now, just get jostled around too much.

Its a custom wild mouse, you just experience it with the lights off and heavy theming.

This is the biggest persistent myth. Space Mountain, the original Magic Kingdom version, is not now and never has been any form whatsoever of a "custom wild mouse." Its DNA is far more historic. It's a derivative of Disneyland's Matterhorn, the first steel roller coaster ever built.

Tip for fellow chickens: I can do Space Mountain if I sit in the front. That way you can see the track in front of you from the little bit of light and it's not so scary and maybe a little bit fun! When you get to the loading spot just ask politely if you can ride up front. I've never been denied. But I agree that I think riding it fully lit would be really scary.

I've never been denied either and I can't even remember the last time I rode not in the front except by choice. The front is also the smoothest experience.

Ive seen SM with the lights on too, and while interesting I was kind of bummed seeing the tracks layout. I enjoyed it more not knowing what it looked like inside.

While I've never ridden it with the lights on, I think I'd prefer it that way. At least I'd be able to see what's coming and prepare my body for it. As it is now, just get jostled around too much.

You could always watch some YouTube videos of both sides of Space Mountain with the lights on. Years ago I did that to memorize the MK version of the track. But I'll tell you it made the ride a lot less thrilling and kind of boring. So I spent a lot more time trying to forget the layout in order to enjoy it again!

For what it's worth, I brace with my feet and hold tight to the safety bar with my knees. It stops the worst of the side to side and bottom of the final drop jostling.

I loved when my 7 and 5 year old were quizzing me on if they actually just went to Mars. Far as I'm concerned, its an underrated ride. I love the interactive nature of it, and in a child's mind, its straight up real.

It was very cool, wasn't it? My first trip to DLR I was 10, my parents & an aunt went along with us. When we exited the ride, my mother seemed to have some doubt as to whether we had actually traveled somewhere. My aunt just hung her head in shame.:laughing:

It was very cool, wasn't it? My first trip to DLR I was 10, my parents & an aunt went along with us. When we exited the ride, my mother seemed to have some doubt as to whether we had actually traveled somewhere. My aunt just hung her head in shame.:laughing:

Like an early version of Star Tours and Mission: Space. Just required a tad bit of suspension of belief, which in Disney, is never a problem for me.

I keep crossing my fingers that one of the groups that gets to ride it lights on will invite me along.

Rode with the lights on = TERRIFYING!!! So much worse than dark. Those tracks so close and tight you are sure you are going to die.

As a college program cast member many many many years ago I spent several hours riding SM with lights on-they were putting in a new braking system and guess who they test the fine tuning on? Cast members! Scary at first-although I still duck during a part of the ride (do NOT put hands up if you are tall lol) and brace myself on second to last turn - the part they were testing at the time. Funny how muscle memory comes back even decades later :rotfl:

As a college program cast member many many many years ago I spent several hours riding SM with lights on-they were putting in a new braking system and guess who they test the fine tuning on? Cast members! Scary at first-although I still duck during a part of the ride (do NOT put hands up if you are tall lol) and brace myself on second to last turn - the part they were testing at the time. Funny how muscle memory comes back even decades later :rotfl:

There's an easy way to learn not to put your hands up. If you put your hands up in the blue light tunnel at the beginning, your fingers will very easily sweep the dust off the ceiling. If clearances are that tight in there, I shudder to think what they are on the rest of the ride. I think that's possible because ride safety in Florida is not regularly reviewed by the state for theme parks. I'm pretty certain the clearance standards on Space Mountain in Anaheim are much more forgiving, because California takes no prisoners in that regard.

Scary at first-although I still duck during a part of the ride (do NOT put hands up if you are tall lol)

They used to announce a dozen times between getting in and starting you (including a recording going up the climb) to not put your hands in the air. I even prepped my daughter that her hands can't go up but was surprised they stopped saying that. Interesting to know that spot is still there with no warning now. I know someone that started to put their hands up at just the right time and any more extended it wouldn't have went well but that was 10+ years ago it happened. I just assumed the ride was tweaked but I guess not 100%.

Had the day off so went over this morning for a few hours today
Got to the park around 10am and by 4:00 I was heading out I was able to ride
Haunted mansion
Thunder mountain
Pirates
People mover
Carousel of progress
All with about 25 minute waits but on the People mover I was able to get a few pictures with the lights on space mountain.

Also had a great salad for lunch too. All in all had a blast today.

Ron

View attachment 214684 View attachment 214685 View attachment 214686 View attachment 214688 View attachment 214689
The College Program routinely raffles off the opportunity to ride with the lights on.
It is also a tradition for Tomorrowland CPs to ride together with the lights on at the end of their program.

This is the biggest persistent myth. Space Mountain, the original Magic Kingdom version, is not now and never has been any form whatsoever of a "custom wild mouse." Its DNA is far more historic. It's a derivative of Disneyland's Matterhorn, the first steel roller coaster ever built.

I disagree heartily. Look at the track layout.

Wild Mouse roller coasters did not exist when Matterhorn was built. They came after Matterhorn proved steel-tracked coasters were viable. Space Mountain's track system (except for the computerized block braking system), ride vehicle, loading zones, and lift hill layout were lifted almost directly from Matterhorn. The rest was designed specifically for the 1975 version of Space Mountain, with no reference to Franz Mack's 1960s carnival coasters. Except for the initial, single 180-degree turnback after the lift hill at the beginning of the ride, there is no similarity to a Wild Mouse track layout at all. It is very easy to learn the difference between the feel of a Wild Mouse in the dark and any version of Space Mountain. The Dark Knight coasters at Six Flags parks are Wild Mouse coasters in the dark, and they're awful.

A wild mouse is a single car that seats 4 or less and doesn't bank on turns. Space mountain is not a wild mouse.

edit: I think it also needs to contain a switchback to fall under that classification and never really clear on what "custom" changed so no clue if that changes things.

Wowsa, Space Mountain must really be going down a lot! We just got back from a trip and rode the People Mover twice on different days and each time the lights were on. It was a bummer for the People Mover part of the ride, but it was really cool to see the lights on the tracks. My DH is very tall and now I'm positive he'll never ride Space Mountain again! :scared:

Wowsa, Space Mountain must really be going down a lot! We just got back from a trip and rode the People Mover twice on different days and each time the lights were on. It was a bummer for the People Mover part of the ride, but it was really cool to see the lights on the tracks. My DH is very tall and now I'm positive he'll never ride Space Mountain again! :scared:

Remember that Disney rides are loaded with safety sensors. Some to make sure the cars are in the right place and some to make sure idiots don't try to get out of the rides while they are running. IF any sensor detects a problem the ride cannot run. They have to make sure the sensor did not detect a real problem before they start out.

The Imagineers have allocations of time that the ride is allowed to be down per month during park open hours. I know that Dinosaur in AK has a limit of 20 minutes down per month! If it is down more than that they have to do major maintenance to correct the problem to get it back to higher reliability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter