Space Mountain: Mission 2 - How different?

TotallyAngelic

Disney Addict
Hi
Just wondering what everyone else thinks about the changes to Space Mountain. I am under the impression that only the lighting effects changed rather than the actual track layout.....but apart from the big moon that has now gone, I can't remember what it was like before. I think the weightless bit when all you can see is stars is amazing, and the bit with the bright green lighting. Does anyone know exactly what the differences are and what is actually new?

Great question........We go back next month and haven't been since they changed it, so we are dying to know !!

Rode mission space 4 years ago with my eyes shut, and Mission space 2 with my eyes open so it was a huge improvement for me. I did find though that my head nearly came off several times during the ride and my neck was quite achey for some time after. After the smoothness of Kraken, Duelling dragons etc.... I found it quite jerky.

I don't know about the technicalities of what exactly has changed, but I will say that for me, Space Mountain: Mission 2 is a completely different ride to the original Space Mountain. Speed-wise and comfort-wise it's very similar, and you may get bashed about a bit (especially if you don't keep your head back in the headrest) but I really love both rides.

I think the original ride has more nostalgic/happy feelings for me, simply because I have many happy memories of riding it with my sister when the park was closing and nobody was around. The cast members made it go "extra fast" for us (apparently!) as we were the only ones on it, right at the front. It was so much fun. :) So whenever I hear the original music, I remember that day and it makes me feel all warm and happy. So I do miss the original ride a lot.

But the new version is also very cool. The music is less magical (in my opinion) but that may just be because of the happy feelings I associate with the old music. There are some very cool special effects and the launch at the start is just as exhilarating as it used to be (possibly even more so). My advice, though, would be to board the train on the left platform rather than the right. For some reason, the only time we boarded on the right, we couldn't see anything all the way around and couldn't hear any music either. It may have just been a bad ride but I never had that trouble when I boarded on the left. Odd. Did anyone else experience this?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter