Souvenirs for Kids

liquidatestuff

Earning My Ears
As I try to figure out what our souvenir budget is going to be, I've read tips in some of the guide books and such about a few items kids will 'want' to get as a must have souvenir. (mine are ages 7 and 9).

One of the items was a small hand-held game that automatically came on when you were in line for some of the rides. Is this true?

Others are magical pins, etc.

Does anyone have any comments?
What other types of souvenirs do kids think they have to have?

~Christy~

Disney has a 100 Years of Magic pin for each park. These pins light up at various places in each park. You can also touch them and make them light up.

These pins are rather large and run on batteries. I was told by one CM the batteries will last between 4 - 6 hours depending on use. The batteries are watch-size.

These are nice for kids or adults.

On our most recent trip my 6 and 9 yr. olds got bitten by the "pin bug". They each bought a lanyard and several pins. Also each wanted a stuffed animal and a hat. We save our change year round in a special jar then before a vacation have the kids sort the coins and that is their spending $. Also Grandma gave them each $10 to spend too.

We saw those light up pins but my kids didn't get into that. Also a big money pit are the light up toys they sell at Fantasmic and Spectro. We saved a ton of $ using tips from these boards about taking your own glow necklaces, my kids were very happy with theirs that I bought at Target.

Depending on age and if it is there first trip or not. I would say definitely mickey ears. For my dd's first trip in 1999, we were in DTD and got her a christmas ornament, the mickey head one and had the artist there put "Kerry's first Disney trip, July 1999." We also got her a stand for it and it is displayed on her dresser in her bedroom. We plan to do the same this yr for our 16 month old son.

I'm going home real soon :bounce:

I read in a recent trips post about the "Mickey's Magical Moments Game" they bought it for $19.99. I don't know what it does except that it starts up in some of the rides lines. Does any one know what sort of age range it might be good for?

This would be great. Does anyone know anything about this game? Have they bought one? Is it worth it? I have 2 kids and they would both want one. But if it's worth it....

Thanks!
~Christy~

Originally posted by trayletha
I read in a recent trips post about the "Mickey's Magical Moments Game" they bought it for $19.99. I don't know what it does except that it starts up in some of the rides lines. Does any one know what sort of age range it might be good for?

But if it's worth it....

It's definately worth it!! Our DD4 STILL plays it constantly, it's by far the best 20 bucks we've spent. It kept her busy in lines and while waiting for Fantasmic, etc. We ended up buying 2 actually, because DH and I both wanted to play too, but she was always hogging it! :)

It's shaped like a mickey head (very fun!) and it starts off with one game (cinderellas castle) and then when you walk by certain attractions the system "downloads" a new game. Example, you get a Tower of Terror game to play when you are by the hotel. BUT, you can 'download' them yourself all at once if you want by pressing a certain sequence of buttons on the game. (We did this because our daughter didn't really 'get' the downloading thing.

ChiTownZee - Thank you for the info. I'll be putting that on my to buy list for sure. Where do you get them?? Any particular store or park?

Where do you get them??

I saw them in all the parks in all different stores. We got ours at MGM under the big hat, because that was the first park we went to.:D

My 7 yr old dd has the pin bug because daddy does
She got a lanyard for christmas & some pins
She can't wait to get back to disney to buy/trade some more

she loved the stuffed animals when we were there
She likes the ones that are like oversized beanie babies
She still sleeps with the lion she got in AK

Off the subject, but on................each of my kids ages 8, 5 and 3 have "Mickey Jars". We go yearly (or twice this year). If they do a task, periodically I give them some money (coins or bills, depending on the task and task committment). They cannot "ask" to be paid. They put it in their jar. Also relatives are programed to give Disney Dollars on holidays. Santa puts them in their stockings, Easter Bunny in the baskets, etc. (I try to keep an eye on the jars and keep them balanced). When WDW time arrives, we DO NOT buy souveniers for them (well, maybe some small item now and then!). They buy their own. Amazingly, they buy neat stuff. Last year they all bought the old fashioned alarm clocks with the bells on the top! Each bought a couple of other items. In the spring, my five year old bought himself the Disney Railroad set with his birthday/Mickey money! They are much more conscious of what they buy! :cool:

Mickey ears
Park tee shirt
Autograph book

Also...my DD purchased a really cool toy during a parade in October. This thing still works, on the original batteries...AWESOME purchase. It's a little stick you hold, Pooh is sitting on top with his honey pot & it has these "arms" protruding from it that spin & light up when you push the button. VERY cool & the kids just love it. I think it was only about $5-$8. Wise investment!

Thanks for the info...

Chitownzee I have a question about the GAME thingy...is it black and red with ears? Erich got a game boy-ish type thing in Oct. Is this the interactive game and I don't know it...and I'm missing tons of fun with it?!?!? :) Enlighten me!Thanks! =0)

If you can take a trip out to Belz Mall.GREAT place to find t-shirt,toys all sorts of park goodies at bargin prices like half price or more!

The resorts have started putting out small water globes,think they're around $10 of each resort.We' started collecting them in May with our first from the AKL.

Jonathan has a collection of the baseballs for the different rides.Pressed pennies are high on Erich's list.They both usually get a t-shirt.

Originally posted by Baloo
Thanks for the info...

Chitownzee I have a question about the GAME thingy...is it black and red with ears? Erich got a game boy-ish type thing in Oct. Is this the interactive game and I don't know it...and I'm missing tons of fun with it?!?!? :) Enlighten me!Thanks! =0)

I'm not sure I would say "interactive". One of the ways to 'get' all the different games is to walk by a certain attraction. Example, you go near the Rockin roller coaster and the roller coaster game 'downloads'. It become a bit of a quest for the kids, because they have to hunt down all the right attractions to get all the games. OR, you did what we did, and press a certain sequence of keys on the game and instantly get all the games at once.

I have started buying stuff on clearance from the Disney store (and anywhere I find them!) I have t-shirts, funky pooh lollipop thing, washcloths, beanies, pez dispenser, glow sticks etc...as well as colored disappearing sunscreen, toothbrushes, band-aides, and other necessity items.
I am going to mail them to our room a week ahead of time (for about $8)
I checked the rates online.
The kids will be excited to see there "presents from Mickey"
I will be excited if we 'forget' any of the necessity items I don't have to worry! :)
PS I have put them in the cheap $1 sand buckets (they can use at pool - water parks)

I bought one for DS last week. It is called the Magical Moments Game and costs $19.99. You can find them all over the parks. If you want one early you might call Disney Merchandising or check with Gifts of a Lifetime. It has 16 games and takes 3 AAA batteries. The game comes with batteries. The quickest way to activate the games in the park are to go to the Fast Pass stations. You will know the game has activated when Sourcer Mickey appears and pixie dust comes out of his wand. The games are Cinderalla Castle, Splash Mt, Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mt, Pirates of Carribean, Small World, Space Mt, Dinosaur, Tough to be a Bug, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Hollywood Tower of Terror, Kilimangaro Safari, Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Rock N Roller Coaster, and Walt Disney Studios. If you don't get to all of the rides, just use the up and down arrow to activate.

Thanks so much guys!!! This sounds like the perfect thing to keep my 6 yr old nephew occupied and interested during the day....trying to find & download the games!!! (I was worried he wouldn't be interested too much in epcot or animal kingdom.)

Colette

we had the Magic Moments game - it's really good, although we had the same problem, my dd wanted to play with it, and so did we!

Those light-up things - there are 2 kinds, the spinning round kind which are quite expensive, about $12 I think, or another kind with fiber optics that come out of mickey's head. This was only about $6 and was brilliant - it's really good if your child is nervous on dark rides - we switched it on and said let's go in here where it's dark and Mickey will work (he didn't work well in bright sunlight) - and suddenly the dark ride was much more appealing.

Only thing I would say, is make sure it's switched off, because it's hard to tell in the sunlight, and if they are left switched on then the batteries run down.

Bev

I agree with many of the ideas here. If this is your first trip to WDW everyone needs a set of mickey ears with your name on them. Anothe good idea is an autograph book. One of our favorite things to get are the smashed pennies, they have machines all over the parks and resorts.

I've been reading about this game and would like to know if DD(9) and DS( 12) would enjoy them. Also once you download the games do you keep them forever or do you just have them while at DWD? thanks you people are the best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter