Southwest rapid reward program changes

keishashadow

Proud Redhead...yes, I have some bananas!
Starts Spring 2024

Redeem with Cash + Points.
Cash + Points will let you pay for your flight with a with a combination of cash and Rapid Rewards points–starting with a few as 1,000 points1

Starts 1/12024

Your credit card spending will get you to
tier status 2X faster. We're cutting the spend requirement for our TQP bonus in half! Get 1,500
tier qualifying points (TQPs) towards
A-List and A-List Preferred with every
$5,000 spent? on your Rapid Rewards
Premier, Premier Business, Priority,
or Performance Business Credit Card.

Fewer flights to get A-List status.

Getting to A-List status is about to get a lot easier. Starting on January 1, 2024, you'll need to fly only 20 one-way qualifying flights3 (or earn 35,000 tier qualifying points4) in a calendar year to earn A-List status-and all the perks that come with it (see all A-List benefits below).

fewer to get to A-List Preferred.

Getting A-List Preferred status is also getting easier. Starting January 1, you’ll need only 40 one-way qualifying flights3(down from 50 flights, previously) or 70,000 tier qualifying points4 to earn A-List Preferred status. That comes with everything from Priority Boarding5 to free inflight Internet6, and lots more (see all A-List Preferred benefits below).

Starts 11/6/2023:

A-List Preferred Members will get two FREE premium drinks.
Members with A-List Preferred status will recieve up to two complimentary premium drinks per flight7.

The fine print:
Terms and Conditions:

1Cash + Points: Cash + Points will allow Rapid Rewards® Members to combine points with other eligible forms of payment to purchase flights, starting in the spring of 2024. Not all Customers will see Cash + Points as an available payment option during the initial rollout. Cash + Points bookings will not earn Rapid Rewards points, tier qualifying points for A-List or A-List Preferred status, or Companion Pass® qualifying points.

2 Rapid Rewards Credit Card Holders can earn more tier qualifying points (TQPs) on credit card purchases: Tier qualifying points (TQPs) earned through spending using the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card, Rapid Rewards Premier Business Credit Card, Rapid Rewards Priority Credit Card, and the Rapid Rewards Performance Business Credit Card will count toward A-List/A-List Preferred qualification based on when they are posted to your Rapid Rewards® account and NOT based on spending date. The points post to your account after your statement closing date, which will be different for each Customer.

The Contactless Symbol and Contactless Indicator are trademarks owned by and used with the permission of EMVCo, LLC.

JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. Member FDIC SOUTHWEST RAPID REWARDS PROGRAM INFORMATION

The Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card is brought to you by Southwest Airlines® and Chase. Southwest Airlines is responsible for the redemption of Rapid Rewards points toward benefits and services. The number of points needed for a particular Southwest flight is set by Southwest and will vary depending on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare type, point redemption rate, and other factors, and is subject to change at any time until the booking is confirmed. Rapid Rewards points can only be transferred to the primary Cardmember's Rapid Rewards account. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Southwest.com/rrterms. Southwest reserves the right to amend, suspend, or change the program and/or program rules at any time without notice. Rapid Rewards Members do not acquire property rights in accrued points.

3 Reducing the number of tier qualifying flights required for A-List and A-List Preferred status in a calendar year:
Tier qualifying flights are revenue flights purchased and flown.
4.Tier qualifying points are earned from revenue flights during the qualifying year or through select Rapid Rewards® Credit Cards from Chase and are exclusive of bonuses or promotions.

5. A-List status: Points can be earned from (a) qualifying flights booked and flown through Southwest or (b) through qualifying purchases with our Rapid Rewards partners. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers®, gift cards, or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points.

Boarding positions will be automatically reserved for you and the Passengers on your reservation 36 hours prior to the flight. You and Passengers on your reservation will still need to check in within 24 hours of scheduled departure to retrieve your boarding passes. Some restrictions apply. These restrictions include, but are not limited to, your reservation must be booked 36 hours prior to scheduled departure, and on Group Travel itineraries, priority boarding will only apply to A-List and A-List Preferred Members.
Qualifying flights include flights booked and flown through Southwest and flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards or travel funds, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points. Priority Lane and Express Lane, where available.
Free same-day change/standby
Same-day change: On the day of travel, you can switch free of airline charges to another flight with space available departing on the same calendar day between the same origin airport and destination airport as your original flight. Wanna Get Away fares are not eligible for free same-day change. Same-day standby: You can list for same-day standby via a Southwest Customer Service Agent at the airport or the Southwest app or mobile web. You will receive a message based on the contact preference selected during booking if you are cleared on the flight.
For both same-day change and same-day standby, you must change your flight or request to be added to the same-day standby list at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your original flight or the no-show policy will apply. If using the app or mobile web for standby, you must list your name 30 minutes ahead of scheduled departure. You will be required to pay any government taxes and fees associated with these itinerary changes, but refunds will be provided. Your original boarding position is not guaranteed. Southwest Business Customers booked through travel agencies may need to see a Southwest agent at the airport for both a same-day change or standby listing. See Southwest.com/standby for more details. If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, same-day standby and same-day change will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation.
If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-Passenger reservation, same-day standby and same-day change will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation. For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who have also qualified for a Companion Pass, A-List, and A-List Preferred benefits are not available to the Companion unless the Companion is also an A-List or A-List Preferred Member. A-List Preferred status: Points can be earned from (a) qualifying flights booked and flown through Southwest or (b) through qualifying purchases with our Rapid Rewards partners. Qualifying flights include flights paid entirely with dollars, Southwest LUV Vouchers, gift cards, or flight credits, and with no portion of the purchase price paid for with Rapid Rewards points.
Boarding positions will be automatically reserved for you and the Passengers on your reservation 36 hours prior to the flight. You and Passengers on your reservation will still need to check in within 24 hours of scheduled departure to retrieve your boarding passes. Some restrictions apply. These restrictions include, but are not limited to, your reservation must be booked 36 hours prior to scheduled departure, and on Group Travel itineraries, priority boarding will only apply to A-List and A-List Preferred Members.
Free same-day change/standby
Same-day change: On the day of travel, you can switch free of airline charges to another flight with space available departing on the same calendar day between the same origin airport and destination airport as your original flight. Wanna Get Away fares are not eligible for free same-day change.
Same-day standby: You can list for same-day standby via a Southwest Customer Service Agent at the airport or the Southwest app or mobile web. You will receive a message based on the contact preference selected during booking if you are cleared on the flight.
For both same-day change and same-day standby, you must change your flight or request to be added to the same-day standby list at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your original flight or the no-show policy will apply. If using the app or mobile web for standby, you must list your name 30 minutes ahead of scheduled.

6Drink coupons for A-List Preferred Members: On flights traveling 176 miles or more, A-List Preferred Members receive up to two complimentary premium drinks per leg. Flights traveling 175 miles or less only serve water. Drink coupons are subject to availability. Service may also be limited at Southwest's discretion. This coupon has no cash value. Drink coupon is void if altered, sold, purchased, brokered, or bartered. Non-exchangeable for other goods or services. Southwest Airlines® reserves the right to discontinue its drink coupon program at any time. Coupon is invalid after expiration date and will not be updated or replaced. Must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcoholic beverages. Alcohol purchased with drink coupons must be consumed onboard the aircraft.

All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Southwest.com/rrterms

Starts Spring 2024

Redeem with Cash + Points.
Cash + Points will let you pay for your flight with a with a combination of cash and Rapid Rewards points–starting with a few as 1,000 points1

I've been hoping to utilize this option soon, anyone have any insight on when this is actually going to be available? I know spring still has about 2 months to go, but I'm hoping sooner rather than later!

I've been hoping to utilize this option soon, anyone have any insight on when this is actually going to be available? I know spring still has about 2 months to go, but I'm hoping sooner rather than later!
Nothing that I've found. But considering they just changed the entire user interface, it might be coming very soon.

Every airline has some sort of 'frequent flyer' program. Depends on which city you fly from (or if you have other nearby choices) and where you typically travel. If you fly a LOT on any one airline, you likely will accumulate enough points to be of some value. If you don't fly often, doubt it matters and you probably will never get enough points to be worthwhile. The benefit of various credit cards offered also depends on how much you spend annually. Mostly they are just gimmicks to get you to sign up and over time most programs tend to raise the number of 'points' needed to get certain benefits.

It's there now.....you have to start by selecting your flights.....then when you get to the part where you put in your personal info scroll down to "Cash + points and other forms of payment"....click there and it will appear....good luck

It's there now.....you have to start by selecting your flights.....then when you get to the part where you put in your personal info scroll down to "Cash + points and other forms of payment"....click there and it will appear....good luck
I just tried it- I’m still getting notice that I need more points to purchase and my options are to buy more points or pay cash, but not a combo of the two.
This was via the app on my phone, I’ll try later on website and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks!

The cash+points option only comes up on the app or mobile version, not on the full website (from what I can tell). Also, you must select money $ prices (not points) during your flight search in order to get the cash+points payment option. It does not seem like a good value (for instance, 5,000 points for $50 off the fare).

The cash+points option only comes up on the app or mobile version, not on the full website (from what I can tell). Also, you must select money $ prices (not points) during your flight search in order to get the cash+points payment option. It does not seem like a good value (for instance, 5,000 points for $50 off the fare).
Thanks for the tip, I just tried it via the app and it did show up! Thanks again, appreciate the heads up!

FYI, I did it on the desktop so it is working👍

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter