• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest - Getting off plane at Layover

MMCD

Mouseketeer
I was booking flights that I noticed there is an airfare that I can fly from Midway to MCO for $99 that goes through Dallas. Flight to Dallas is $270. What If I book the Midway to MCO for $99 but get off at Dallas. I will not be checking in any bags. Will I get in trouble if I do not make the Dallas to MCO flight portion? Will they make me pay the difference of the 270-99? I only fly SW cuz the airport is so much closer to me than the bigger airports.

Thank you

This has been a weird loophole that has been around for a long time.
you will not get in trouble if it all works out but SW has been changing flight times and layover stops constantly. your layover stop could change a day or 2 before your flight and SW will only let you switch to another flight with the same Final destination at no charge.
two years ago, I would’ve said go for it but I don’t think I would risk it with the way things are now.

I think most/many people book two one-way flights on SW, so likely not an issue but airlines can (will) cancel the return portion when this is done (it's called "hidden city ticketing")

I completely agree with @Traveling on cc points. There are other considerations, as well.
  • You can't check any bags (not a problem for you)
  • You will not earn any Rapid Rewards points
  • Your flight to DAL could be diverted, due to weather, and Southwest could reroute you, based on your final destination of MCO
  • There is the factor that you may be taking away a seat from someone needing to fly DAL-MCO
If you do go ahead with this, you will need to notify the gate agent in DAL that you will not be boarding the DAL-MCO flight.
As @SirDuff mentioned, a r/t will automatically have the return flight cancelled.

I suggest you keep looking for a lower fare, if Southwest's current fare is too high; if this is a cash booking, you can search fares on other airlines. It looks like Southwest has a monopoly at MDW for this route. Can you fly from ORD? Have you tried using the Low fare calendar?

Others have mentioned some potential issues. Another to keep in mind is that hidden city ticketing is against most airlines contract of carriage. You can read the small print if you'd like to check. So even though most people get away with it, if you're caught and the airlines cares you could be penalized in different ways including having to pay the fare difference or having your return fare cancelled (if you had booked). So it's really up up to you if you want to take the chancel. Lots of people get away with it but there are potential ramifications.

I did it once. Flight from west coast to Newark was $150 more than west coast to PHL, which went to EWR first, and then I would have switched to a very small plane to PHL. (one seat on each side of aisle). I live between the 2, but closer to Newark, so I just skipped that last hop to PHL. I was not aware it was taking a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter