• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Airlines....

Thank you for your response. It is quite a bit of difference today. I appreciate the suggestion of doing each one way. That is what we are going to do! thanks again!!

I have been watching a flight for DH and myself in October. Honestly, I have only flown one time and my DH has never flown before. We always drive with the family to WDW. I checked today and the flight is $60.00 more than it was two days ago. Is is like to go down again? I don't know how all of this works and now I wish I would have booked a couple of days ago. We are really trying to keep the trip economical, as I am sure is everyone else. We are hoping to spend our 30th anniversary with the Mouse.
If you plan to fly during a peak time such as Easter time, Christmas, TG, spring break, President's Day, etc. then book asap. Also Sunday returns are more in demand and will rarely drop in price. If you're flexible and can fly mid week, you'll usually pay less. Once you search for specific dates it will display "low fare finder" or something like that. It shows the lowest fare for each day in a monthly calendar. Very handy if you can be flexible with dates.

I just booked for early March and our March 6 Sunday return went from $158 to 196. Mid week is still $99.

It's all about supply & demand so if you want to save $, fly when the demand is lowest. :)

I like Southwest, and try to book with them whenever possible instead of the other airlines.
I have found the staff to be friendly and accommodating, more so than on some of the other airlines I have flown.
I also appreciate the fact that when you see the price on Southwest's website, that is the price. When I've booked flights with other airlines or on other travel sites, the price looks great, and when you go to check out, the taxes, fees, airport charges, this fee that surcharge etc. get added and my reaction is usually :scared1:
And I like the free checked bags.

Southwest is one of the few airlines that fly between my home airport and my daughters. My DD, son-in-law, and I have all flown on Southwest. Love that you can check two bags and have a carry on for free. DD's husband is in the military so he can take more bags (although he doesn't). They do offer military discounts.

On the negative side. Most of our flights have been delayed, especially evening flights. DD's flight home was late in January so she was not going to make the connecting flight. They would not let her board the plane since she couldn't make the second flight. She ended up stuck in Pittsburgh overnight only to have the same issue with her flight the next morning. (First flight was late and would not make 2nd flight). Finally Southwest put her on a flight to Chicago to connect but then stopped flying to Chicago due to weather although other airlines were still flying. DD spent a second night in the airport at Chicago before booking another airline to get home. She finally arrived home two days after her scheduled flight. It really messed up her work schedule.

DD's husband had the same problem. His first flight was delayed so he didn't make his second flight. He ended up having to sleep in the airport in Baltimore and arriving a day late. That wasn't due to weather but they still refused to put him up in a hotel.

Don't fly the last flight of the day if you can avoid it.

Flight delays aren't uncommon for Florida it seems. When we took jetblue last year, in July and October, we were quite delayed. October's was so late that we didn't board the plane until well after we should've been back in Connecticut.

Love them. I always figure paying for EBCI as part of the total cost, and it is still usually cheaper than flying Delta or United out of my home airport.

My last flight on them (this past May) we had a large number of wheelchair guests that needed help boarding. They started to board them early to make sure we still had an on time departure. Then, near the end of the flight they announced they had a 90th birthday girl on board. They had us all close our windows and turn on our call lights, and then sing Happy Birthday. Our call lights were to look like birthday candles. It was very cute.:cutie:

More LOVE for SW! Booked our flights to MCO with points - the price decreased from when I booked, so I was able to cancel and rebook - no change fees!

We flew on SW in April (Disney Cruise) - our suitcase was damaged, small slit in it. I went to the SW lost baggage area, hoping to get a patch for my suitcase. The SW Agent gave me a new suitcase (YUP, brand new beautiful suitcase).

My husband flew on SW the other day...he was delayed for about 2 hours. The SW staff offered free adult drinks - never heard of another airline doing that.

No baggage fees, you can earn miles through RR shopping, e-rewards, other promotions - okay, I will stop gushing about how much I LOVE SW!!!!

Love them. I always figure paying for EBCI as part of the total cost, and it is still usually cheaper than flying Delta or United out of my home airport.

My last flight on them (this past May) we had a large number of wheelchair guests that needed help boarding. They started to board them early to make sure we still had an on time departure. Then, near the end of the flight they announced they had a 90th birthday girl on board. They had us all close our windows and turn on our call lights, and then sing Happy Birthday. Our call lights were to look like birthday candles. It was very cute.:cutie:
That's adorable. It's good to see customer service still exists these days.

Love Southwest and haven't flown with anyone else in several years. My flights are almost always on time, the staff is generally really sweet, and I don't mind the open seating. I got their credit card and have been able to get a bunch of flights with points since then.

Southwest is my favorite airline to fly. Just booked a flight to Orlando a few weeks back on Southwest and saved 10% by buying Target gift cards from Gift Card Zen and then buying Southwest Gift Cards from Target... A little extra work, but my round trip airfare from PDX was about $350. Cheaper than any of the alternatives, especially when you can check 2 bags for free!

If you do fly Southwest, make sure you check in online as soon as you can (24 hours before the flight) so that you can pick better seating!

Southwest is my favorite airline to fly. Just booked a flight to Orlando a few weeks back on Southwest and saved 10% by buying Target gift cards from Gift Card Zen and then buying Southwest Gift Cards from Target... A little extra work, but my round trip airfare from PDX was about $350. Cheaper than any of the alternatives, especially when you can check 2 bags for free!

If you do fly Southwest, make sure you check in online as soon as you can (24 hours before the flight) so that you can pick better seating!

Just to make sure I'm getting this correctly, you buy the Target gift cards at a discount, and then use them to get the 5% off on the Southwest cards thru Target?

Just to make sure I'm getting this correctly, you buy the Target gift cards at a discount, and then use them to get the 5% off on the Southwest cards thru Target?

Yes, we buy Target gift cards at 10% off (sometimes they are more or less depending on the website you use). I like to wait until Gift Card Zen has a sale on them to buy them, so it costs around $45 for a $50 gift card. Then buy the Southwest giftcards from Target, and if you have a little less than $50 on a gift card, you can also use the Target Red Card to save another 5% on that (but you have to pay at least part of it with the debit card to get that discount). Hope that's a little more clarification!

Yes, we buy Target gift cards at 10% off (sometimes they are more or less depending on the website you use). I like to wait until Gift Card Zen has a sale on them to buy them, so it costs around $45 for a $50 gift card. Then buy the Southwest giftcards from Target, and if you have a little less than $50 on a gift card, you can also use the Target Red Card to save another 5% on that (but you have to pay at least part of it with the debit card to get that discount). Hope that's a little more clarification!
This also works for Disney Gift cards too!

You don't need to pay for part of the Disney or Southwest GC with the Target REDCard (credit or debit) in order to get the 5% off online. You get the discount even if you pay for the entire amount with a Target GC.

If you're making your purchase in a store, you will only ge.t 5% off of the amount paid for with the REDCard

You don't need to pay for part of the Disney or Southwest GC with the Target REDCard (credit or debit) in order to get the 5% off online. You get the discount even if you pay for the entire amount with a Target GC.

If you're making your purchase in a store, you will only ge.t 5% off of the amount paid for with the REDCard

Oh, I didn't know that. That's even better! Thanks.

I fly SW whenever we can. They tend to have the fewest flight delays, but anything can happen at any time of year.

I would NEVER pay for early boarding. We prefer to sit at the back of the plane as there is usually more overhead space available, less crowded and you have a better chance as having an empty middle seat. We just sit and relax after the plane lands. It is less stressful i the back.

I love Southwest, in fact it is the only airline I have flown on in the last 10 years. Are there delays? Yes but honestly what airline doesn't have any. The flight attendants are warm and welcoming and prices can't be beat. I just booked Chicago to Orlando for $49/each way in November which left enough money in the budget for us go for an extra day! We usually get Early Bird because we like sitting towards the front of the plane but it isn't neccesary. Would reccommend this airline over all others.

I prefer Southwest to United

Doesn't everyone? United is run by complete idiots. The CEO should have been fired years ago. The only thing holding United together is they still have some decent front line employees, but the management is terrible. If I were you I would fly Southwest even if the price were double United.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter