• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Air and Personal ECVs??

clkelley

<font color=purple>I squealed really loud!!<br><fo
Hubby is going to WDW this summer without me. (That's OK, I have other equally fun plans)

Anyway, he travels with his personal ECV. Previously, our only experience has been with Delta Connection commuter jets and has been a positive one with gate checking the scooter and getting it back at the tarmac in Orlando.

This time the Delta fares just weren't there, and today I got a Ding! from Southwest with a great direct flight fare from Birmingham to Orlando.

So what is ya'lls experience with Southwest and ECVs? Their disability page reads almost identical to Delta's. But what is the reality??

Southwest does say he may have to give the chair up to one hour before boarding which is not a problem. The small walking distance from the gate to the plane is acceptable. It's the long hike through the airport that kills him and being pushed in a regular wheelchair is not something he likes to do.

Thanks,

Carol

Call them up, especially if you can get their actual office at the local airport. Generally he should be able to "gate check" the ECV. He would be either at the top of the jetway or actually at the entrance to the plane. They will put it in the baggage compartment and return it to him at the destination gate.

Your husband should be able to gate check his ECV with Southwest.
If he has Gel or sealed batteries and they say they are airline approved they will let you gate check his ECV. Just phone them and let them know he will be travelling with an ECV and they will note his reservation. I travelled with mine in Dec. and Southwest was great. If they need to take it early they will bring you a wheelchair to use. They had mine waiting for me at the plane door came up before the strollers. Good Luck

Sounds like it is the same way Delta does it!! That sounds great.

It does have dry cell batteries, and does fit through the cargo door with the seat and tiller folded down, so this should be exactly the same way he is used to. I have called Southwest and let them know he'll be flying with it.

The only difference is I think the planes with SW all use the jetways, where the commuter flights we take with Delta load from the tarmac.

So he should be dropping it off and picking it up at the gate inside instead of outside.

As long as he can drop it off and pick it up at the gate, he won't need a wheelchair to board and disembark from the plane.

Thanks for the information!!

Carol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter