Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

Question for anyone who‘s done the Universal VIP tour, was it worth it? It’s so pricey, but then tickets with express pass plus paying extra for early entry to Nintendo World is pretty pricey too, so I figured I’d ask.

Worth it is subjective. But I woudl say yes. The ability to walk around the sets and other studio areas, the awesome lunch and the vip entrances into the rides (they use these when it is extra busy) during the tour, all make it worthwhile. Also after the tour you can still use universal express lines.

Worth it is subjective. But I woudl say yes. The ability to walk around the sets and other studio areas, the awesome lunch and the vip entrances into the rides (they use these when it is extra busy) during the tour, all make it worthwhile. Also after the tour you can still use universal express lines.
That’s all good to hear. It’s likely the only time we’re going to go so I feel like it might be worth spending a little more and this sounds like it would be worth it.

Thanks for the answer! Another concern, mosquitoes. I live in Valencia (Spain) and we have a major problem with mosquitoes. Should we bring mosquito repellent with us?

Thanks!
Hi - not sure when you are coming to SoCal, but it appears there is a bit of a mosquito issue in Anaheim right now. One of the intersections mentioned in this post is very near to Disneyland, at the southeast corner behind DCA. I was at the parks a few days ago and did not notice them at all, so it may not be a problem there.

https://abc7.com/orange-county-mosquitoes-vector-control/13864879/

Have the best time! Ours is three weeks from Sunday. I have a favor to ask, if you don't mind. I'm curious if they will move the World of Color viewing to Wednesday instead of Thursday (since the Oogie Boogie tickets are for Thursday.) Would you mind sharing upon your return? I've seen it during my last ABD a few years ago, but my Mom hasn't seen it and I'm really hoping she gets the chance. Enjoy your trip!

The Warner Brothers studio tour is also really interesting- I did that the last time I was in LA in 2019 and really enjoyed it
Okay, we're back. GREAT TRIP. And YES, the WOC viewing was moved to Wednesday night. We had primo seating for the "Magic Happens" parade at Disneyland at 6:30, and then primo seating for WOC that same night -- I forget the time -- maybe 8:15? 8:30? (We didn't make it to WOC, though -- absolutely bushed.)

Okay, we're back. GREAT TRIP. And YES, the WOC viewing was moved to Wednesday night. We had primo seating for the "Magic Happens" parade at Disneyland at 6:30, and then primo seating for WOC that same night -- I forget the time -- maybe 8:15? 8:30? (We didn't make it to WOC, though -- absolutely bushed.)

Parade & WOC—was it reserved SEATING or standing area?
Why was the WOC moved a day? What did that do to the whole schedule?

Thanks for all the information.

More Qs:
For those on the trip when there were two times for some activities, what time did the group attend? For example, when we are there in November, there will be DL Parades at 3:30 & 6:30 pm; WOC will be at 9:00 & 10:15 pm.

What night do they schedule Fireworks viewing? Will be at 9:30 pm on our trip. Will it be reserved viewing space?

So looking forward to all the holiday activities...

I don't think there is a set schedule as far as which of the two (if available) you would attend. With that said, the parade typically is during the day, and WOC is typically the first one. However, I wouldn't plan on that being the case.

Fireworks has typically been on the first night you arrive (the same day that you go to Imagineering and have the long drive from LA to Anaheim). But again, no guarantees. The space is reserved, but it is just standing (or you can sit on ground). There is plenty of space for the group, and no one else can be in that area. In my latest trip, there was slightly blocked view of the fireworks by trees.

Please understand that everything is fluid, and could change based on schedules, etc. For example, I've been on trip 3 times. One time the parade viewing was Paint the Night, and we had standing view right in front of Plaza Inn reserved. On the latest trip, we had standing room for the parade, starting on side road going to Alice/Matterhorn, etc, closer to the castle. I believe on the second trip for the parade, we were actually in the center hub area near Walt and Mickey's statue, also just standing room.

Parade & WOC—was it reserved SEATING or standing area?
Why was the WOC moved a day? What did that do to the whole schedule?
WOC moved because of OogBoogBash.

More Qs:
For those on the trip when there were two times for some activities, what time did the group attend? For example, when we are there in November, there will be DL Parades at 3:30 & 6:30 pm; WOC will be at 9:00 & 10:15 pm.

What night do they schedule Fireworks viewing? Will be at 9:30 pm on our trip. Will it be reserved viewing space?

We saw the 6:30 "Magic Happens" parade. Prime viewing spot. Everyone else was crowded in there like sardines, while our group had a huge area to stand in.

Fireworks -- although there were no fireworks, just the projections on the castle -- were the first night we got to DL. 9:30 show, I think. *Reason for no fireworks on week nights is because the residential areas around DL don't appreciate it. They save the fireworks for weekend nights.

More Qs:

We did fireworks on the same night you arrive at Disneyland, reserved standing area with a good view. The parade was the 3:30 time and WOC was the 9:00 showing.

Thank you for the information- really appreciate you taking the time to respond. So glad you had a great trip!

WOC moved because of OogBoogBash.

We saw the 6:30 "Magic Happens" parade. Prime viewing spot. Everyone else was crowded in there like sardines, while our group had a huge area to stand in.

Fireworks -- although there were no fireworks, just the projections on the castle -- were the first night we got to DL. 9:30 show, I think. *Reason for no fireworks on week nights is because the residential areas around DL don't appreciate it. They save the fireworks for weekend nights.
I'm thinking we'll go back to DL park Friday night of the trip (sinc eit's over by then) to see the castle show with the fireworks.

Linking to the app. During the tour, when you get to the GCH, they will give you physical tickets. You can scan these in to your disneyland app on your phone, and you will now be setup. it is highly recommended you do so, Jimmy mentioned some good reasons above. It is also a good idea to take a picture of the tickets on your phone, just in case.

You have to do dining reservations each day, unfortunately. There is no advantage given to hotel guests.

I don't think DL app really links your hotel stay unless you buy a package deal (hotel stay + tickets) from them, and even then it's rather limited. The ABD is different, and thus your hotel is not in the app. the DL app is definitely missing some features.

So yes, you just book what you want in the app (or website). Please note that the following are difficult reservations to get, so you need to book them quickly (or get lucky later on): Blue Bayou, Trader Sam's, Oga's, Lamplight Lounge. Carthay Circle also can get booked quickly. The others you shouldn't need to rush as much.

You shouldn't buy Genie+ except on the last day (after the good bye breakfast), or any additional post days, they are pretty generous with the lightning lanes. We didn't get extra Genie+ on this trip, and it was fine, but we had already seen most of what we wanted. Of course, if you really want to, you could get it on any of the days.
I just booked this today for March 31-April 5th next year. I kept asking the Vacationista about Lightning Lanes and Genie+ and she really didn't give me any answers. How many lightning lanes can you do during the days that are part of the tour? Will they let you go on rides like Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, etc? Or is it just kinda the big show stoppers like ROTR and Radiator Springs Racers? Any info you can give me would be helpful, because my husband scoffed and claimed that "Disney was being cheap" by not giving us Genie+ included.

I just booked this today for March 31-April 5th next year. I kept asking the Vacationista about Lightning Lanes and Genie+ and she really didn't give me any answers. How many lightning lanes can you do during the days that are part of the tour? Will they let you go on rides like Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, etc? Or is it just kinda the big show stoppers like ROTR and Radiator Springs Racers? Any info you can give me would be helpful, because my husband scoffed and claimed that "Disney was being cheap" by not giving us Genie+ included.
I just got back from my ABD Backstage Magic. Your husband is wrong; they are not being cheap by not giving you Genie+. Why? Because they provide you with plenty of Lightning Lanes for your days in the park. PLENTY. The only attractions not covered by these LL are Rise and Mickey/Minnie Railway. Since I was determined to ride Rise, I purchased LLs for that one. Never got around to Mickey/Minnie. We were there during the Halloween season, so we had a special LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday. Space Mountain is down for refurb, so that wasn't an issue. Again, your LLs are good for every attaction except Rise and MM. That's the way it was on our trip, anyway -- it's always up for revision.
Hope that helps.

I just got back from my ABD Backstage Magic. Your husband is wrong; they are not being cheap by not giving you Genie+. Why? Because they provide you with plenty of Lightning Lanes for your days in the park. PLENTY. The only attractions not covered by these LL are Rise and Mickey/Minnie Railway. Since I was determined to ride Rise, I purchased LLs for that one. Never got around to Mickey/Minnie. We were there during the Halloween season, so we had a special LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday. Space Mountain is down for refurb, so that wasn't an issue. Again, your LLs are good for every attaction except Rise and MM. That's the way it was on our trip, anyway -- it's always up for revision.
Hope that helps.
So we didn't realize they were going to give us ANY lightning lanes so that's where the "cheap" comment was coming from. Are they generic LL that you can use for any ride? How's it actually work?

So we didn't realize they were going to give us ANY lightning lanes so that's where the "cheap" comment was coming from. Are they generic LL that you can use for any ride? How's it actually work?
"Because they provide you with plenty of Lightning Lanes for your days in the park. PLENTY. The only attractions not covered by these LL are Rise and Mickey/Minnie Railway. Since I was determined to ride Rise, I purchased LLs for that one. Never got around to Mickey/Minnie. We were there during the Halloween season, so we had a special LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday. Space Mountain is down for refurb, so that wasn't an issue. Again, your LLs are good for every attaction except Rise and MM."

"Because they provide you with plenty of Lightning Lanes for your days in the park. PLENTY. The only attractions not covered by these LL are Rise and Mickey/Minnie Railway. Since I was determined to ride Rise, I purchased LLs for that one. Never got around to Mickey/Minnie. We were there during the Halloween season, so we had a special LL for Haunted Mansion Holiday. Space Mountain is down for refurb, so that wasn't an issue. Again, your LLs are good for every attaction except Rise and MM."
How many kids on your tour? I hope my 9 year old has as much fun as I'm planning on having.

That‘s good advice about the Uber, the cost will be worth not trying to get the luggage there ourselves.

I’m trying to figure out our Hollywood days before the trip. We arrive two days before on 1/12. On 1/13, we’re going to go to Univereal. But what to do for 1/14 before we meet for the group dinner. I was thinking maybe the Warner Brothers tour, jf I’m not sure if my son wants to do that. Where exactly do they take us in Hollywood? I would want to duplicate anything.
What was the rate for a night after the trip at the GCH that they were quoting you? I think it might be easier for us to stay an extra night and not catch a red eye home flying with me who can't sleep on planes....but I also don't want to spend like 900 dollars on another hotel night.

What was the rate for a night after the trip at the GCH that they were quoting you? I think it might be easier for us to stay an extra night and not catch a red eye home flying with me who can't sleep on planes....but I also don't want to spend like 900 dollars on another hotel night.
I don’t remember exactly, but it was something like $800 a night, which is why we’re going to be staying at the Parkvue for two nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter