Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

Oh, good to know that the Academy museum is one of the things we might do since that’s one the things I was considering. We’ve been to Disneyland numerous times, and LA once, where the only touristy things we did was see the Hollywood sign and go to the La Brea tarpits. Oh, and I think we went to the Grove and the Farmers market. The day I’m looking for ideas is the day the tour begins, before the we
come dinner, so I don’t want to go too far out of the way since it’s only part of the day available.

I love old movie history. My son likes it but likes animation, modern tv/movie history, and music too.
Paramount used to have a tour specifically (or at least focusing) on old movies and history. They haven't brought it back since Covid.

However, Warner Bros added something similar
https://www.wbstudiotour.com/tour/classics/

On the paramount tour (especialyl the VIP version), you could probably tell your guide you are interested in old movies and they can focus on that, their is a lot of history in the Parmount lot.
https://www.paramountstudiotour.com/paramount-history.html

Last edited:
I love old movie history. My son likes it but likes animation, modern tv/movie history, and music
The old Egyptian Theatre, in disrepair for many years, has been restored by Netflix and will be reopening in November. It is a few blocks down from the El Capitan past the Pantages. No info yet on whether tours will be offered, but since you like old movie history, might be fun to see it from the outside at least.

https://www.dailyitem.com/wire/we-t...cle_db0429f2-cada-509d-8628-5c0ae6551164.html

The old Egyptian Theatre, in disrepair for many years, has been restored by Netflix and will be reopening in November. It is a few blocks down from the El Capitan past the Pantages. No info yet on whether tours will be offered, but since you like old movie history, might be fun to see it from the outside at least.

https://www.dailyitem.com/wire/we-t...cle_db0429f2-cada-509d-8628-5c0ae6551164.html
I'm definitely dating myself, but I sat in line outside the old Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. on May 24, 1983, waiting to watch the first showing of Return of the Jedi at 12:01am on May 25th. I'll never forget that! I'm so glad they've restored it! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in L.A.!

Sayhello

I'm definitely dating myself, but I sat in line outside the old Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Blvd. on May 24, 1983, waiting to watch the first showing of Return of the Jedi at 12:01am on May 25th. I'll never forget that! I'm so glad they've restored it! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in L.A.!

Sayhello
That is very cool. The theater I saw it in was just a local one and it closed down decades ago. But seeing it in a theater like that must have been wonderful.

That is very cool. The theater I saw it in was just a local one and it closed down decades ago. But seeing it in a theater like that must have been wonderful.
It really was wonderful! The funny thing is, as 12:01am approached, the audience began, in unison, to count down to zero. And, surprise, surprise!, the movie started EXACTLY as the crowd hit zero! (If I was running the projector that night, I would *definitely* have done that, too! :D )

It was a fabulous crowd and a fabulous movie in a fabulous theatre!

Sayhello

The countdown has started. Getting picked up by our Uber at 4:45am (erg...) tomorrow for a 6:25am flight to LAX. Warner Brothers Studio Tour tomorrow afternoon. ABD begins on Sunday!
Have the best time! Ours is three weeks from Sunday. I have a favor to ask, if you don't mind. I'm curious if they will move the World of Color viewing to Wednesday instead of Thursday (since the Oogie Boogie tickets are for Thursday.) Would you mind sharing upon your return? I've seen it during my last ABD a few years ago, but my Mom hasn't seen it and I'm really hoping she gets the chance. Enjoy your trip!

The Warner Brothers studio tour is also really interesting- I did that the last time I was in LA in 2019 and really enjoyed it

Hi everyone, we are going on this tour next year and was just wondering how linking to the app works. We are adding extra days at the start (for universal) and extra days at the end (just to enjoy DL at our own pace and do Napa Rose, Trader Sams etc on the Friday/Saturday once the tour has ended)

I know at WDW you can book dining reservations for your ENTIRE stay 60 days out. Does DL do this as well? Or would I have to wake up every morning 60 days out from when I want to book a reservation for?

Also is your hotel reservation linked in the app before you go. Or would I just log onto my account and book whatever dining I want without a hotel stay linked?

When you get your physical tickets did you just link them in the app when you got them? What if we want more than the lightning lanes they “surprise” us with. Can we choose to buy Genie+?

Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone, we are going on this tour next year and was just wondering how linking to the app works. We are adding extra days at the start (for universal) and extra days at the end (just to enjoy DL at our own pace and do Napa Rose, Trader Sams etc on the Friday/Saturday once the tour has ended)

I know at WDW you can book dining reservations for your ENTIRE stay 60 days out. Does DL do this as well? Or would I have to wake up every morning 60 days out from when I want to book a reservation for?

Also is your hotel reservation linked in the app before you go. Or would I just log onto my account and book whatever dining I want without a hotel stay linked?

When you get your physical tickets did you just link them in the app when you got them? What if we want more than the lightning lanes they “surprise” us with. Can we choose to buy Genie+?

Thanks in advance!
I never linked my Grand Cal hotel stay with the app. It looks like DL does not do the 60 days plus length of reservation for dining, you would have to make them at 60 days out for each one. I would personally not recommend any reservations for the days during your ABD trip except the farewell day, since the guides may have other activities planned. If there is a table service restaurant you're dying to try, get it for the post-nights.

I linked my physical ticket in the app. This was good, because you can see how many passes you have left, adjust your park reservation for the final day if you'd like, and buy Genie+. I really doubt you'll need Genie+ for the full ABD days, but it's nice to get on your last day.

Thanks in advance!
Linking to the app. During the tour, when you get to the GCH, they will give you physical tickets. You can scan these in to your disneyland app on your phone, and you will now be setup. it is highly recommended you do so, Jimmy mentioned some good reasons above. It is also a good idea to take a picture of the tickets on your phone, just in case.

You have to do dining reservations each day, unfortunately. There is no advantage given to hotel guests.

I don't think DL app really links your hotel stay unless you buy a package deal (hotel stay + tickets) from them, and even then it's rather limited. The ABD is different, and thus your hotel is not in the app. the DL app is definitely missing some features.

So yes, you just book what you want in the app (or website). Please note that the following are difficult reservations to get, so you need to book them quickly (or get lucky later on): Blue Bayou, Trader Sam's, Oga's, Lamplight Lounge. Carthay Circle also can get booked quickly. The others you shouldn't need to rush as much.

You shouldn't buy Genie+ except on the last day (after the good bye breakfast), or any additional post days, they are pretty generous with the lightning lanes. We didn't get extra Genie+ on this trip, and it was fine, but we had already seen most of what we wanted. Of course, if you really want to, you could get it on any of the days.

Hello! We’re looking to book this trip next year but ideally would want to use DVC points for the post trip night? If we did this would we still get the transfer to the airport or is this only included if we booked the extra night via ABD? Also do your Disneyland tickets also include photo-pass? Thanks 😊

Hello! We’re looking to book this trip next year but ideally would want to use DVC points for the post trip night? If we did this would we still get the transfer to the airport or is this only included if we booked the extra night via ABD? Also do your Disneyland tickets also include photo-pass? Thanks 😊
They included transfers when I booked post nights with DVC points in 2022, and I think they usually do, but I'm not sure if that was an extra perk because it was a Dis-Exclusive trip.

DL tickets do not include photopass, but some of the meals you do with ABD include pictures with characters.

They included transfers when I booked post nights with DVC points in 2022, and I think they usually do, but I'm not sure if that was an extra perk because it was a Dis-Exclusive trip.

DL tickets do not include photopass, but some of the meals you do with ABD include pictures with characters.
Thank you! That’s good to know.

I don't think DL app really links your hotel stay unless you buy a package deal (hotel stay + tickets) from them, and even then it's rather limited. The ABD is different, and thus your hotel is not in the app. the DL app is definitely missing some features.
The DL App will link to a room-only hotel stay, whether cash or using DVC points. I’ve done both. You do need to add the hotel stay by reservation number on the Disneyland website after logging in, then it shows up in the app. The digital key in the app also works just fine.

The DL App will link to a room-only hotel stay, whether cash or using DVC points. I’ve done both. You do need to add the hotel stay by reservation number on the Disneyland website after logging in, then it shows up in the app. The digital key in the app also works just fine.
Oh neat, guess I haven't tried that in a while.

As far as DVC post night stays, as others have said, at least on this ABD trip (versus non Southern California ABD trips), as long as you are staying in a DLR hotel, Disney will likely agree to get you a transfer to the airport. They will likely even setup a transfer from a DLR hotel to Loews at the beginning of the trip, if you want your pre nights to be at DLR.

You just need to call or email them and ask nicely :teeth:

They will likely even setup a transfer from a DLR hotel to Loews at the beginning of the trip, if you want your pre nights to be at DLR.
I can see this happening, because they offer that service for people who drive in rather than fly in. From the En Route info on the AbD website -

Car – If you plan to arrive by your own car, please drive to the valet area of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Just mention to the hotel bellman that you are with Adventures by Disney and receive complimentary valet parking for the duration of your adventure. Since your Southern California adventure will conclude at this hotel, your car will be conveniently located at your vacation's end for your trip home.

• Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is located at: 1600 S. Disneyland Drive, Anaheim, CA 92802
Along with complimentary parking, on Day 1 of the adventure receive a one-time transfer from Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa to Loews Hollywood Hotel. In order to take advantage of this transfer, please plan to meet your driver at 1:00 PM outside the main entrance of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. In the event you are unable to locate your transfer vehicle or its driver, get help by introducing yourself to a valet and saying that you are with Adventures by Disney. Your driver and the valet will be available to assist with your luggage

They will likely even setup a transfer from a DLR hotel to Loews at the beginning of the trip, if you want your pre nights to be at DLR.

You just need to call or email them and ask nicely :teeth:
I've also heard they will do it from any Disneyland resort. Pretty cool option if it's someone's first ever time there, so they can experience the parks 100% on-stage before the tour.

I can see this happening, because they offer that service for people who drive in rather than fly in. From the En Route info on the AbD website -

Car – If you plan to arrive by your own car, please drive to the valet area of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Just mention to the hotel bellman that you are with Adventures by Disney and receive complimentary valet parking for the duration of your adventure. Since your Southern California adventure will conclude at this hotel, your car will be conveniently located at your vacation's end for your trip home.

• Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is located at: 1600 S. Disneyland Drive, Anaheim, CA 92802
Along with complimentary parking, on Day 1 of the adventure receive a one-time transfer from Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa to Loews Hollywood Hotel. In order to take advantage of this transfer, please plan to meet your driver at 1:00 PM outside the main entrance of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. In the event you are unable to locate your transfer vehicle or its driver, get help by introducing yourself to a valet and saying that you are with Adventures by Disney. Your driver and the valet will be available to assist with your luggage
I actually did the car thing on my first ABD disneyland trip (when I lived in southern calfiornia). Worked out well.

Question for anyone who‘s done the Universal VIP tour, was it worth it? It’s so pricey, but then tickets with express pass plus paying extra for early entry to Nintendo World is pretty pricey too, so I figured I’d ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter