Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

My general strategy when it gets above 90 degrees in Anhaeim (F) is to go back to hotel room/pool around 1:30 or 2pm until 5:30 or 6pm, and then come back to the park. That time period (1:30 to 6pm) is also typically some of the busier times for attractions.

Unfortunately, since this is the about the ABD trip, you don't really have the luxury of that (unless you want to leave the group).

We are doing it too and I have a question: how humid is it in California? I have seen that, at the hottest time of day, the humidity is around 30%. Is it like that always? Is it usually dry? Or humid like Orlando?

Southern California is almost always dry. 30% humidity is the most it will reach unless it's actively raining, in which case the temperature will drop.

My husband and I are booked on the DIS ABD Backstage Magic October 1-6. Can't wait! (Well, I can't wait since I'm the Disney fan in our union. Him? He's being a really good sport! LOL) We're actually coming in a day early on Saturday, September 30. We get to LAX at an ungodly early hour (8am!!). Trying to decide on what to do that Saturday. It's either Universal or the Motion Picture Academy Museum. Kinda want to do Universal, but I don't want to start this strenuous ABD already worn out!

My husband and I are booked on the DIS ABD Backstage Magic October 1-6. Can't wait! (Well, I can't wait since I'm the Disney fan in our union. Him? He's being a really good sport! LOL) We're actually coming in a day early on Saturday, September 30. We get to LAX at an ungodly early hour (8am!!). Trying to decide on what to do that Saturday. It's either Universal or the Motion Picture Academy Museum. Kinda want to do Universal, but I don't want to start this strenuous ABD already worn out!
I'll be doing Universal this Saturday and Sunday before the ABD starts, so I'll let you know how it goes,

We did the Academy Museum last year as a plan B, and I would only recommend it if you're really into movie history. They have some cool props, but not that many exhibits to see.

I loved the Academy Museum! It's really fascinating. Loved the costumes and the props and the videos and the "making of" background stuff. We were there around 4 hours, and really enjoyed it.

Sayhello

I would do Warner Bros Studios if you are really into movies and TV series.
The nerd in me says you should go to Griffith Observatory haha

Nice that he's being a good sport!
I'm also the bigger the Disney fan in our union, but I've successfully converted my husband through years of training, lol. He won't say he's excited but he'll show it once we're there and are shown cool stuff.

I would do Warner Bros Studios if you are really into movies and TV series.
The nerd in me says you should go to Griffith Observatory haha
I reaaaallly wanted to do the Warners and Sony Studio tours -- but they're only available on weekdays. Closed on weekends ... and this is for Saturday. Oh, well...

Nice that he's being a good sport!
I'm also the bigger the Disney fan in our union, but I've successfully converted my husband through years of training, lol. He won't say he's excited but he'll show it once we're there and are shown cool stuff.
I think that's the way it's going to be for us, too. He'll grouse a little, and roll his eyes a bit -- but tell him we're going to see stuff that the general public doesn't get a chance to? He's all over that. LOL

Before my last Backstage Magic we did Universal VIP tour and it was awesome! So much so that I did it again :-). I loved the mix of the studio and the theme park. We stayed at the Hilton right across the street and took an Uber on Sunday to Lowe's to start our ABD. I'd definitely recommend it.

Before my last Backstage Magic we did Universal VIP tour and it was awesome! So much so that I did it again :-). I loved the mix of the studio and the theme park. We stayed at the Hilton right across the street and took an Uber on Sunday to Lowe's to start our ABD. I'd definitely recommend it.

Tomorrow I'm flying to LA to start my second Southern California and Disneyland trip. Now that I've been to all the major locations, I'm really excited to see what I missed the first time around and what's new. Tomorrow and Sunday morning I have tickets to Universal, including early entry to Mario World. It's also my first time at Universal Hollywood after going to Orlando's many times. I'll start a formal trip report when I get back, but after a busy week at work the excitement is finally hitting me!

If I had more time I would love to try this one day. Universal does a great job with their tours.

Thanks for this tip! It's a bit pricey but then we're already spending plenty on the ABD tour, what's another $400 per person? Lol.

Tough because we could do 2 day tickets plus the early entry for Nintendo world on Sunday for both of us for the price of one VIP tour... Hm.

Thanks for this tip! It's a bit pricey but then we're already spending plenty on the ABD tour, what's another $400 per person? Lol.

Tough because we could do 2 day tickets plus the early entry for Nintendo world on Sunday for both of us for the price of one VIP tour... Hm.
Yes- it is definitely a little more expensive than just the normal tickets. It includes breakfast, a backlot tour with special access depending on the day you are there (we got to tour the stage they filmed Superstore since they weren't filming that day), front of the line access on multiple rides/experiences, a fantastic lunch and then it turned into the express pass after the tour was over for the rest of the day. I've done it twice in Hollywood and once in Orlando and wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

If you choose to do it, you won't regret it. But, you also can't go wrong if you want to do the 2 day ticket and early entry for Nintendo! You'll have fun either way for sure!!

I wish we could go to Universal before this ABD, but due to other obligations, we aren't flying in until Sunday morning of the trip. I really want to see Nintendo world. I guess I'll just have to wait until we go to Japan :-)

Have the best time on your trip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter