Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

Thanks everyone for your replies! Jus starting to think about booking this with my Dad and we would be flying in from different cities. There is only 1 flight per day from my local airport and it lands at 6:30AM. The better flight for my Dad would land 5 hours later and I would prefer not to hang in the airport. Also I did note that Long Beach, as well as LAX, are currently described as acceptable airports for arrivals and Santa Ana is also acceptable for departures.

ABD is usually reasonably flexible with their transfers, and at least for this ABD, if your group arrived at different times, they would pick up each group separately.

In a previous ABD, we were going to rent a car at the end of the trip, and the guides were nice enough to get a car for me to get to the rental place (it was less than a mile away, so it's not that big a deal, but they were not required to).

Hi all:
How far in advance do you know the names of the adventure guides that will be with you? Or is it a mystery until you get to the Adventures by Disney desk at LOEWS ?
Typically it will be a surprise. Unless you are on a trip organized by the DIS that is. The DIS folks (kevin@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com) usually find out the guide's names beforehand because they've developed a working relationship with ABD.

Hi all:
How far in advance do you know the names of the adventure guides that will be with you? Or is it a mystery until you get to the Adventures by Disney desk at LOEWS ?
ABD used to tell you the Adventures Guides' names a few weeks ahead of time if you asked, but then people started complaining if they had to switch Guides for some reason, so they don't do that anymore. Sometimes, when you check into the hotel before the ABD, you'll get a letter from the Adventure Guides (especially if you do pre-nights) telling you about the first day's timing, and that will be signed by both Guides.

Sayhello

2nd day, after Tam O Shanter, agenda says there’s another activity and then you’re in your own for the evening. Anyone know (ballpark) what time the on your own time would typically start that day? Just curious. Also would love to hear about what others decided to do with that time

2nd day, after Tam O Shanter, agenda says there’s another activity and then you’re in your own for the evening. Anyone know (ballpark) what time the on your own time would typically start that day? Just curious. Also would love to hear about what others decided to do with that time
We got back to the hotel around 4:30, and the guides had one more optional activity right nearby that ended at 5:30. Maybe half our group left to do their own thing at 4:30.

We were fairly tired after a long day of touring around... We opted to relax at the hotel, and ordered light room service for dinner. Honestly, not sure what anybody else did.

We were fairly tired after a long day of touring around... We opted to relax at the hotel, and ordered light room service for dinner. Honestly, not sure what anybody else did.
After the last activity with our guides, I grabbed sushi and a drink from inside the mall attached to the hotel. It wasn't anything special, and I think next time I'm going to find a restaurant.

What's the typical makeup of families on the non adult only trips? We are booked for next March, leaving kids at home, and they didn't have any adults only options that would fit for us. Is it a mix between adults vs families or is it mostly families with kiddos with them?

What's the typical makeup of families on the non adult only trips? We are booked for next March, leaving kids at home, and they didn't have any adults only options that would fit for us. Is it a mix between adults vs families or is it mostly families with kiddos with them?
It really, really varies, based on when spring break is, and other variables. You can call ABD, and they will give you the age breakdown of the kids on your trip.

Sayhello

Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying a magic band "as a souvenir", as we live in Spain and they don't have magic bands at Disneyland Paris (which would be our "easier to go" park).
Would you recommend to use a magic band+ for the days at the parks? We will also extend our stay 2 more days.
Follow-up question: Do we need to use magic bands for the whole family? or is it ok if I just buy one for me as a souvenir and use it while on property?

We are doing this ABD in August and we will REALLY want to see Rogers the Musical. How hard do you think it will it be for me to secure a virtual queue at 10:30am while we are doing things with the group? Do you think this is something the Guides could help with or will I be in my own? Any input is appreciated on how virtual queues like this have worked in the past. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm thinking about buying a magic band "as a souvenir", as we live in Spain and they don't have magic bands at Disneyland Paris (which would be our "easier to go" park).
Would you recommend to use a magic band+ for the days at the parks? We will also extend our stay 2 more days.
Follow-up question: Do we need to use magic bands for the whole family? or is it ok if I just buy one for me as a souvenir and use it while on property?
You don’t need a magic band, most on our trip didn’t have them. But we liked ours, so much easier to tap for ride entry and payments (and that was only needed on our “free” time). Remember that you need magic band + at Disneyland, the others don’t work.

We are doing this ABD in August and we will REALLY want to see Rogers the Musical. How hard do you think it will it be for me to secure a virtual queue at 10:30am while we are doing things with the group? Do you think this is something the Guides could help with or will I be in my own? Any input is appreciated on how virtual queues like this have worked in the past. Thank you!
On the last day of the ABD (the one where you just have breakfast, and then leave for the airport according to the intinerary), if you are planning on staying an extra day, that would be the best time to schedule to see the musical, since your ticket is still valid that day to visit the park all day. That is when I am planning on seeing the musical on my ABD in August.

Assuming you do NOT have the ability to do this (and also assuming that the show is not part of the ABD):
The musical will take up around an hour of your time all told. If you are willing to lose that much time from the group, then I am sure that the guides will assist you as much as they can to make it happen. I do not think they will assist you in getting a virtual queue spot (it pretty much has to be done on your phone/account), but honestly I do not think it would be that hard to obtain one as long as you keep track of when the queue opens.

That will probably be tough, since you'll be backstage. I would talk to your guides and see if they can get you a spot, either through the queue or other magic.

Question for recent travellers. I have seen that the Griffith park Merry Go Round has reopened lately. Has this been included again in the tour?? This is one of the main things that I want to see during the trip. Hope it is included again!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter