Southern California and Disneyland Adventure

Since we won't be doing a trip report, here is my cancellation report!

We were booked on the Jan 16th 2022 SoCal ABD, and my mom got the call that it was being cancelled on 10/29. The CM told my mother that they couldn't run the trip since Imagineering is being moved to Florida. So that was their explanation of why the trip was cancelled. If that is the truth, I honestly don't understand how they are still advertising future dates.

We made our final payment a little bit early, so I don't remember if the cancellation came after the official PIF date. They offered us a full refund or we could rebook another trip with $350-500 off the list price, depending on the trip and whether it was domestic or overseas. We booked this trip 3 years ago for October 2020 for $2,900 per person, and they let us rebook for this one (Jan-2021) at the same price (took 3 calls and a stern email to get this). With everything that's happened and not getting any info, not to mention the price going up by $1,000, we requested a full refund. I understand the market is different now, so that was the best decision for us. I hope ABD made some smart stock investments with my deposit over the last 3 years....

Here's my little rant - feel free to skip over (TW: mentions Universal)! We knew that cancellation was a strong possibility and had planned to go to LA/DL on our own anyway (flights not booked through ABD). But once I looked at the Grand Cali room rates and all the coordination it would take, it just didn't seem worth the money and energy without the magic of ABD. I know it's not apples-to-apples, but we have pivoted to a 4-person family trip to Universal in Florida and were able to get 4 nights at Hard Rock Hotel, Club Level, Express Pass included for about half of what it would cost for 3 nights in a standard room at the Grand Cali. I'm not trying to be one of those "I'm done with Disney" people, but I am looking forward to splurging on HP souvenirs with that ABD refund!

How disappointing! I'm sorry this happened. This exact scenario is what has made me hold back from booking that tour (one I have dreamed of taking).

Glad you found a new vacation that you will enjoy. If you ever do want to do Disneyland again I'd encourage you to look at some of the other hotels around Disneyland. Some really nice ones have opened recently and I don't think staying at a Disney hotel makes a real difference out on the west coast.

How disappointing! I'm sorry this happened. This exact scenario is what has made me hold back from booking that tour (one I have dreamed of taking).

Glad you found a new vacation that you will enjoy. If you ever do want to do Disneyland again I'd encourage you to look at some of the other hotels around Disneyland. Some really nice ones have opened recently and I don't think staying at a Disney hotel makes a real difference out on the west coast.
I totally agree with this. I have never stayed at a Disney hotel at Disneyland. While the idea of walking out of the Grand Californian into DCA or Downtown Disney is very cool, it's not really worth the premium, as there are other, MUCH more reasonable hotels almost as close. Many are literally across the street from the gates (a short walk across the dropoff area), and some of the furthest ones are all of a 15 minute walk from door to door. You can walk that far from the bus dropoff to the gates at WDW. Except for the Grand Californian, the Disney Hotels are actually *farther* away from the gates than most of the Disneyland Good Neighbors hotels. It's just not the same as staying on property at WDW.

Sayhello

UGH!! I didn't even think about this.

We're booked for May 2022. We originally booked for July 2020 and had to cancel (before Covid was announced), so we have a credit. So we rebooked for an overseas trip in Dec, but canceled that because I didn't have a good feeling about it. I was able to put the deposit toward the May 2022 Cali ABD trip. I hope I don't have to rearrange it again otherwise Kevin at Dreams is gonna put me on a "Difficult" list soon - LOL :)
I'm also booked for the May 2022 trip but haven't made my flight reservations yet (and now I guess I'll hold off?). It's been a dream of mine to get to see the inside of Imagineering so this all stinks. No idea what I'll do with the credit if it's cancelled. I'll also be giving Kevin a headache sadly.

If Imagineering was no longer part of the trip, I could understanding reaching out to people who booked and explaining "Imagineering is no longer part of the trip. If you want to cancel because this is a big change, we'll give you refund or a credit." Imagineering is such a small part of the trip overall. There are so many other things you see and do. It doesn't make sense to cancel the entire trip for everybody because of one change. I am sure there are plenty of people who would still pay to do the trip even if Imagineering was not part of it.

Also, (this next part is speculation based on little more than a guess) this trip might make more money for Disney (the overall corporation) than others because you spend so much of the time in Disneyland Resort. People are in the parks buying food and souvenirs, and/oror spending money at the on-property hotel for meals and drinks.

If Imagineering was no longer part of the trip, I could understanding reaching out to people who booked and explaining "Imagineering is no longer part of the trip. If you want to cancel because this is a big change, we'll give you refund or a credit."

That's a good point, we definitely would have mulled over the cancellation decision a bit more if they had come to us with a plan in place. Even if they were cancelling our Jan trip to buy a little more time, we may have considered another date if they said "this is what we are likely to do going forward if you want to rebook." I'm really trying to bite my tongue on my dissatisfaction here because it's just my speculation and not based on fact. I would not be surprised if there are other issues with the itinerary, especially with travelers visiting Jim Henson, Disney Studios, and other places where people have certain workplace protections.

Thanks to those who recommended the local hotels. Great advice, and we will definitely consider that down the road.

If Imagineering was no longer part of the trip, I could understanding reaching out to people who booked and explaining "Imagineering is no longer part of the trip. If you want to cancel because this is a big change, we'll give you refund or a credit." Imagineering is such a small part of the trip overall. There are so many other things you see and do. It doesn't make sense to cancel the entire trip for everybody because of one change. I am sure there are plenty of people who would still pay to do the trip even if Imagineering was not part of it.

Also, (this next part is speculation based on little more than a guess) this trip might make more money for Disney (the overall corporation) than others because you spend so much of the time in Disneyland Resort. People are in the parks buying food and souvenirs, and/oror spending money at the on-property hotel for meals and drinks.

I'm not so sure... the trip in WDW was a flop, and assumption is it was the lack of the parts of this trip that they couldn't offer that did it. I, for one, only went for the access to Imagineering and the studios. Without those stops its just a very expensive guided DL trip - you can (or at least could) tour many of the backstage areas without going through ABD.

I, for one, only went for the access to Imagineering and the studios. Without those stops its just a very expensive guided DL trip - you can (or at least could) tour many of the backstage areas without going through ABD.

I agree. If the trip is only the behind the scenes at Disneyland, than it might not be worth it. I would be okay without Imagineering if we still went to the all of the other places like the Walt Disney archive and Jim Henson Studios.

Jim Henson studios was great as an add on but its not enough on its own. If they flesh out the studios portion maybe they could lose imagineering. Maybe I'm just putting too much weight on my own agenda, but that day MADE the trip for me.

We are on the Feb 13th, 2022 trip. We have not PIF yet and hope we find out soon if it will still go on, not looking good. Our first trip that was booked, Costa Rica had to be rebooked, and we went with this trip because we thought being in the United States, it would more likely happen.

I'm actually doing the Disneyland Resort and Southern California Escape, which is a shortened version of the full one on March 22-25. This also goes to Imagineering, so now I am worried that this will also get cancelled ☹. My pay in full day is in two weeks. I've been to Imagineering, so I would still go on it, if they had something good enough to replace it.

Jim Henson studios was great as an add on but its not enough on its own. If they flesh out the studios portion maybe they could lose imagineering. Maybe I'm just putting too much weight on my own agenda, but that day MADE the trip for me.

I haven't done the trip before but I am looking forward to it. I'm also a huge Muppet fan so that infleunces my feelings on the Henson studios visit. My feeling is that imagineering isn't the only special behind the scenes thing you do outside of Disneyland. Yes, it would be beyond amazing to see it, but people would still get to see the Walt Disney Studios and Archives (once they allow visitors again).

We are on the Feb 13th, 2022 trip. We have not PIF yet and hope we find out soon if it will still go on, not looking good. Our first trip that was booked, Costa Rica had to be rebooked, and we went with this trip because we thought being in the United States, it would more likely happen.

If it happens, please let us know how it goes and what they do, especially since they will probably have Genie+ and Lightening Lanes fully operational by then. I hope your trip happens and you have a wonderful time.

I'm actually doing the Disneyland Resort and Southern California Escape, which is a shortened version of the full one on March 22-25. This also goes to Imagineering, so now I am worried that this will also get cancelled ☹. My pay in full day is in two weeks. I've been to Imagineering, so I would still go on it, if they had something good enough to replace it.
We are booked on this same trip! We were originally supposed to go March 2020. One of the main reasons for doing this ABD is our daughter’s goal is to be an Imagineer. She’s now a senior in high school, so the timing is good, but if Imagineering is removed, she will be thoroughly disappointed. I’m hesitant to PIF until we know for sure that the trip will happen as planned. Fingers crossed that is the case!

This is so true! Yes, Imagineering is a really fun stop. But its only ~ 3 hours out of a week long trip. There is so much more to this ABD trip,

True - we've been on it before 10 years ago on one of the original Dis Exclusive trips. It was definitely very cool to see, but yes, it's really only a snippet of the whole trip. That's why I find it so strange that they cancelled someone's trip and used that as an explanation. Also, the Imagineering move has been in the works for a long time. I can't imagine it "just dawned on them" -- I'm concerned they are using it as a convenient excuse.

Imagineering was a huge part of it for my family, but I don't think the absence of it would make us choose not to do the trip as long as something else fun took its place. As someone who has been to DL twice since re-opening, I think they would be able to make things happen there within the masking guidelines at the parks. The reservation system should not be an issue at all with the ABD except I would be curious how they would handle the last day since you don't enter as a group. I think the bigger issue to keep in mind is that here in California we have been much slower in re-opening. Many businesses are still remote and many of those that have started re-opening are limiting external visitors. Additionally, I believe LA county has just instituted a vaccine mandate for restaurants. My thoughts are that while the DL portions of the trip could probably go now without issue, the Studios, Imagineering (to whatever extent there is still team here), Henson Studios, etc are not yet up for public tours.

My thoughts are that while the DL portions of the trip could probably go now without issue, the Studios, Imagineering (to whatever extent there is still team here), Henson Studios, etc are not yet up for public tours.

If that is the case and the trip becomes Disneyland only, then it makes total and complete sense to cancel the trip, because people are paying for more than a behind the scenes tour of Disneyland. To cancel the entire trip because there is no longer a 3 hour visit to Imagineering is stupid. To cancel because almost half of the trip is no longer available sounds like the right call.

We'll see what happens. My trip is in the spring so hopefully things will be better but right now it's wait and see.

Imagineering was a huge part of it for my family, but I don't think the absence of it would make us choose not to do the trip as long as something else fun took its place. As someone who has been to DL twice since re-opening, I think they would be able to make things happen there within the masking guidelines at the parks. The reservation system should not be an issue at all with the ABD except I would be curious how they would handle the last day since you don't enter as a group. I think the bigger issue to keep in mind is that here in California we have been much slower in re-opening. Many businesses are still remote and many of those that have started re-opening are limiting external visitors. Additionally, I believe LA county has just instituted a vaccine mandate for restaurants. My thoughts are that while the DL portions of the trip could probably go now without issue, the Studios, Imagineering (to whatever extent there is still team here), Henson Studios, etc are not yet up for public tours.
I was wondering about all that. Thanks for the level-set.

Sayhello

We previously have done the full ABD Southern California trip. This year we were scheduled for the Rhine River Cruise but chose not to go due to all of the Covid issues. Since our trip was not cancelled we could only use our deposit as a placeholder (no refund). We chose to do the short escape in March of 22 which we need to pay off this week but I'm pretty sure it won't happen. For us, I would prefer if they cancel if no Imagineering/Studios since that's my main reason for booking this trip again. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

Disappointed they are back to making people pay 120 days in advance for a trip that probably won't happen anyways. Does anyone know if you can use the Disney Visa and get 0% on the ABD trips so I can just leave it on my card till they refund?

We previously have done the full ABD Southern California trip. This year we were scheduled for the Rhine River Cruise but chose not to go due to all of the Covid issues. Since our trip was not cancelled we could only use our deposit as a placeholder (no refund). We chose to do the short escape in March of 22 which we need to pay off this week but I'm pretty sure it won't happen. For us, I would prefer if they cancel if no Imagineering/Studios since that's my main reason for booking this trip again. Fingers crossed it actually happens.

Disappointed they are back to making people pay 120 days in advance for a trip that probably won't happen anyways. Does anyone know if you can use the Disney Visa and get 0% on the ABD trips so I can just leave it on my card till they refund?

Yes, ABD qualifies for the 0% financing on the Disney Visa.

I'm in the same boat you are in - we had the Rhine Cruise booked for 2020 and ended up with a placeholder that I need to use by Jan. 3, 2022. I am hesitant to book an international trip for 2022 and most of the domestic trips hold zero interest for us. I was going to book SoCal, but won't do so until the itinerary is worked out. It's all very discouraging and, once I use up these deposits, I don't think we'll book with ABD ever again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter