Southern beaches not running crazy with COVID

I have the same restrictions as you do, OP, with hot spots and returning to work. North Carolina is a hot spot for us so probably for you too.

I was looking around in Maryland (not a hotspot) and all the way up to Rehobeth. Again, no hot spots. Thing is, there aren't any real "motels" that are Ocean Front there. You can get a condo or something though. There was plenty of availablility a few days ago when I was looking.

Bay County Florida (Panama City Beach) has a cumulative 305 cases for their 175,000 population. That is .174% of the population. I would not consider that a hot spot and that will continue to be a problem where they lump massive areas together that have very different case loads. Just got back from a long weekend with the family and had a great time. No problems staying an appropriate distance away from others while on the beach, in the ocean, or in the pool.

What states are considered hot zones to your employer?
There is a formula they use, taking the average of cases per 100,000 people in our 4 county/city service area and then multiplying by 1.75 (with a couple of extra steps thrown in) to get a number per 100,000 people and we should avoid going anywhere the cases per 100,000 is higher than. Not sure where they got that formula, somewhere official like the Dept of Health I assume. You can go on each states Dept of Health webpage and find the information for each county. Right now our number not to go above is 542.

I have the same restrictions as you do, OP, with hot spots and returning to work. North Carolina is a hot spot for us so probably for you too.

I was looking around in Maryland (not a hotspot) and all the way up to Rehobeth. Again, no hot spots. Thing is, there aren't any real "motels" that are Ocean Front there. You can get a condo or something though. There was plenty of availablility a few days ago when I was looking.
I really hadn't thought about Rehobeth, but only DD has been there so it would be new to DH, DS and I. That would probably be similar to Myrtle.

I don't know what your state considers a hotspot but I'm in NY and pretty much the entire south is considered one. I just got an email from work yesterday saying that if we travel to one of the hotspot locations, then we will be forced to quarantine and either work remotely, if possible, or have to take leave.

I understand about needing a quick getaway. Traveling is very important to DH & I, but really research and know your restrictions before you go. We considered Myrtle Beach, New Orleans, and even a Universal trip. I was also going to visit my Mom in SC and now that's off the table. Now we just decided maybe staying in state was the safest way to go and are heading to the Catskills in a few weeks for a long weekend.

If you still want to head south, I second Hilton Head. It's much more low key than Myrtle and it's a relaxing time. Best bet is renting a condo or house if you can find anything available. I know there are plenty of beaches on the gulf side, like Alabama & Mississppi, but I'm not familiar with them at all. More north is Cape Cod, but summer is super peak season and might get expensive pretty quickly.

I really hadn't thought about Rehobeth, but only DD has been there so it would be new to DH, DS and I. That would probably be similar to Myrtle.
I think I heard recently that Rehoboth was shutting down restaurants on the beach or something because they had too many crowds a couple weekends ago. I could be wrong on this too, but think that is what a I heard. I would suggest just calling the Chamber of Commerce before you booked anything. Good luck!

I really can't help you much because I have no way of knowing how your employer determines what is or is not a hot zone. You'll have to do that. Myrtle Beach is a hot zone by almost any definition I could imagine, however. I would go to an area with a fairly long group of beaches. Stop by the main city beach first and if it's crowded, take note of whatever flags are up and then head somewhere else with a smaller access point and less crowds. And above all, don't go to bars or clubs where you'll be in close proximity to people.

I’m not in the mental health field but I have experience with one of my kids getting a life threatening virus that took over a year to fight. I can tell you with 100% percent certainty, it is much harder to deal with that, than trying to deal with boredom staying at home...and I don’t have to ignore and move on. I am allowed to post my opinion just as much as you are.

Last edited:

We are going to Palm Coast Florida in 2 weeks. Flagler County. We rented a house on the canal with its own pool. We plan on going to the beach first thing in AM just to walk and play in the sand. Won’t be going to any restaurants Inside and probably won’t outside dine either with the numbers in Florida

You’re wanting to go to a beach on the east coast during high season and want to stay ocean front. It’s going to be expensive wherever you chose.

I think I heard recently that Rehoboth was shutting down restaurants on the beach or something because they had too many crowds a couple weekends ago. I could be wrong on this too, but think that is what a I heard. I would suggest just calling the Chamber of Commerce before you booked anything. Good luck!

I believe the Delaware beaches are now closing bars this weekend due to a recent outbreak stemming from a party situation.

Bay County Florida (Panama City Beach) has a cumulative 305 cases for their 175,000 population. That is .174% of the population. I would not consider that a hot spot and that will continue to be a problem where they lump massive areas together that have very different case loads. Just got back from a long weekend with the family and had a great time. No problems staying an appropriate distance away from others while on the beach, in the ocean, or in the pool.

This didn't age so well, as today they're already reporting 173 new cases and the day isn't complete yet...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter