• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sorry, one more dumb boarding pass question

Just something to note. We have flown out the new terminal in Newark where they have the new scanners that read the boarding pass and then open a door for that passenger to get down to the plane. We've seen at that type of entrance, the attendants made the person pass the phone back to their travel partner(s) to have them scan their own boarding pass. It's still ok to have the passes on one phone, but the new scanners seem to add the step of having to pass the phone. I expect we're going to see more of those types of scanners moving forward.

By 'both' are you talking about your spouse and referencing an airline boarding pass? It is usually faster for each adult to have their own boarding pass on their phone. I think it is possible to have both one phone, but you would have to be able to page through them.

Personally, I prefer the paper boarding passes since it is one less thing to go wrong when boarding if your phone suddenly dies, is doing some unexpected software update, app goes offline, etc.

Last edited:

You can have both on one phone, but if there are two adults who understand how to add something to their phone wallet, it's faster for each adult to have their own pass. But you can have more than one per phone, and I've done that for my child.

We've scanned both from one phone.

What I've also done as of late is take screenshots of the boarding passes and texted to my daughter/other family members when we travel. We've had airline apps go down before (and no service can happen) and this ensures there's a copy in our photo gallery.

(I've always carried paper passes until recently, but with a trip coming up this June with multiple stop points along the way for a car ride and other non-Disney things before we get to Orlando, I'm printing out everything, lol.)

I would say it's preferable for everyone to handle their own boarding pass (whether on phone or paper). But, it's acceptable to have all boarding passes on a single phone.

I keep all on my phone, but my kids aren't old enough to have their own phones yet. Also, I'd still have to keep track of all paper copies; so it's just easier to do it all from my phone. There have been a couple of times that there were issues with the carrier's app; so I just went to the gate agent to have our passes printed.

I've heard the gate agent request that each person (adult) hold their own, so you may want to be prepared for that.

I've heard the gate agent request that each person (adult) hold their own, so you may want to be prepared for that.
This is my experience with Southwest, which I fly almost weekly. For the past few months, the gate agent has required each passenger, including children, to present their own boarding pass for scanning prior to entering the jet bridge.

This is my experience with Southwest, which I fly almost weekly. For the past few months, the gate agent has required each passenger, including children, to present their own boarding pass for scanning prior to entering the jet bridge.
So what do they do if a parent shows up with two young kids and they just have the BP on their phone? Unless they make announcements to come to the desk to get paper BP (which you can't guarantee everyone will hear), that's a poor requirement IMO. As a request, I think it's fine.

So what do they do if a parent shows up with two young kids and they just have the BP on their phone? Unless they make announcements to come to the desk to get paper BP (which you can't guarantee everyone will hear), that's a poor requirement IMO. As a request, I think it's fine.
I agree this policy feels kind of... excessive?

In practice, it's been imperfect. Gate agents have been making numerous announcements prior to and during boarding, referring folks to the ticket desk for individual boarding passes as needed. Southwest has also had staff checking individually with the parents who line up early in the family boarding line. I only recall seeing one group turned away at the jet bridge, but can't speak to how often it actually happens. Because I travel so frequently, I tend to be among the first to board, missing any later boarding drama. Also, my weekly travel is limited to three or four midwestern airports, and I have little experience with what's happening in other regions.

When I travel with kids, I generally stop by the self-help kiosk on the way to TSA and print out all boarding passes, anyway. It's a good back-up in case my phone glitches, and the kids love carrying their own passes. And, they love using the boarding passes to navigate us to our gate!

I will say that airport staff are stretched thin. If I can do something small to make their day smoother (which, in turn, makes my travel smoother), I'll do it.

Back to my first point, though. As a policy, it feels excessive.

I agree this policy feels kind of... excessive?

In practice, it's been imperfect. Gate agents have been making numerous announcements prior to and during boarding, referring folks to the ticket desk for individual boarding passes as needed. Southwest has also had staff checking individually with the parents who line up early in the family boarding line. I only recall seeing one group turned away at the jet bridge, but can't speak to how often it actually happens. Because I travel so frequently, I tend to be among the first to board, missing any later boarding drama. Also, my weekly travel is limited to three or four midwestern airports, and I have little experience with what's happening in other regions.

When I travel with kids, I generally stop by the self-help kiosk on the way to TSA and print out all boarding passes, anyway. It's a good back-up in case my phone glitches, and the kids love carrying their own passes. And, they love using the boarding passes to navigate us to our gate!

I will say that airport staff are stretched thin. If I can do something small to make their day smoother (which, in turn, makes my travel smoother), I'll do it.

Back to my first point, though. As a policy, it feels excessive.
Just to clarify, I have no problem if they want to say "everyone holds their own boarding pass" as a policy. I just think that should be indicated before getting to the boarding gate.

I’ve heard that announcement pretty regularly lately. However, I’ve still seen parents boarding holding their kids passes with no issue. On our way to Orlando on April 6, we had A 3 & 4. I saw preboarders in wheelchairs where the family member had both paper passes & a preboard family where 1 parent had all the kids passes. The couple in A 1 & 2 was elderly, the wife had both passes on her phone. The agent didn’t say anything about any of these instances.

You can have both on one phone, but if there are two adults who understand how to add something to their phone wallet, it's faster for each adult to have their own pass. But you can have more than one per phone, and I've done that for my child.
You don't even need to add them to a "wallet." A screen shot texted to the other person should work just as easy, at least I just did it with my daughter on Southwest last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter