Sore muscles and blistered feet

ninjamicmic

Earning My Ears
Anyone have tips to help with sore muscles and blistered feet? We are leaving for disneyworld on sept 6 and my husband and i have been getting back in the habit of going for walks around our neighborhood at night to help get back in decent shape so we wont be huffing and puffing our way through vacation. The problem is, is that we are already sore and we arnt walking as nearly as much as we would. I dont want this to ruin our vacation so does anyone have any tips?

I don't get blisters often, but keep up with the walking. Your body will get used to it more and more and soreness will lessen. Stretch afterwards when muscles are warm and stretch more than once. If it's really bad, use heat compress. Where are you getting sore?

All of the above. And properly fitted walking shoes with a good arch support that have been broken in. I know that I'm going to be sore, regardless, so I take a Motrin before I leave the resort in the morning, and another around dinner time. More for the antiinflammatory effect than as a pain remedy. If possible, after we get back at night, I hit the hot tub for a while. Then a nice leg and foot massage with peppermint foot lotion. This works even better if your spouse does it for you!.

DH will occasionally have a hot spot develop on one of his feet. We will immediately apply moleskin to the area. It works. I always have some in our park bag.

I got blisters on EVERY single Disney trip by the end of the first day. Last year I greased the bottom of my feet up really good every day, I put my socks and shoes on and headed to the parks. No more blisters. Worked like a charm. I'm telling you, this works and it's a very simple thing to do.

Last edited:
I try to alternate my shoes and not wear the same pair every day, I don't get blisters but I always carry moleskins and bandaids into the parks. Every night I run a hot bath, take a couple of advil (or a glass of wine) and soak before bed. Make sure your shoes fit well and if you don't switch out every day, at least have a second pair in case of rain so you don't have to wear wet shoes the next day.

I have gotten blisters so bad on my heals and feet I had to go to the doctor! I am diabetic and for some reason I am very suseptable to them! I cannot use mole skin because it makes me break out....any other suggestions? This time I found some FANTASTIC gel shoes from Asics and have made sure they are well worn befor we go...along with some Body glide and good socks I'm hoping it does the trick.

I love the custom fit shoe inserts, they have made a life changing difference on my life and not just at WDW. My last ones I actually got in DTD in the sporting shoe store and while pricer, they have held up extremely well and still use them even though I've worn out my sneakers. Dr scholls makes a line of them and I think they have a find a store with the machine to find out exactly which ones you should buy.

The only time I ever got blisters at WDW was wet socks, have extras with you and protect them from rain(ziplock bag) in case you get wet.

I also agree with every PP, do not break in your new shoes at disney, start wearing them weeks before you go so they are comfortable when you get there.

The only place I ever get blisters is at Disney. And they are horrible. One trip I had 13 on just one foot. Wore the same shoes I always were at home and never had any issues until Disney. Last trip I wore the socks that have the individual toes (feels funny at first but got used to it fast) and since they were pretty thin I wore another thin sock over them. Not one blister! Dh and I started walking outside in the heat about 3 weeks ago and will continue until our trip Sept. 5th. We also did this last trip and it made a huge difference over previous years when we didn't.

My skin is really sensitive and I have a horrible time getting blisters. With my tennis shoes the best way to not get blisters for me is a good pair of socks (under armor are my favorite) and I tie my shoes differently. You can find how to do it on running sites or youtube, but its called a locking lace or something like that and it makes it so at the top of your shoe is tight so it doesn't slip at all. That has solved getting blisters on both the back of the heel and on my ball of my foot. Body glide is great!! I use it for my legs but I imagine it would help for feet.

For sore muscles using either a roller, or tennis ball, to work out the sore muscles help a lot! Icy Hot is also incredible for sore muscles. I like the kind with a roller ball on the end. Arnica also helps if you prefer more holistic stuff. Make sure to stretch after walking while your body is still warm and keep walking as that will loosen up your tight muscles.

Also I forgot, make sure you are not using the same shoe 2 days in a row. It actually takes at least 24 hours for your shoes to go back to normally after wearing them for a long time. My doctor suggested rotating 2 or 3 pairs of shoes.

I always take an extra pair of shoes to wear every other day...it helps to prevent blisters because each pair of shoes has different hot spots.
Body Glide works great but if you don't want to spend that much money buy an anti-perspirant stick (it does the same thing at a minor cost...a travel size would do for the trip).
Take a tennis ball or hand ball, to massage sore feet and calves.
Salon-pas patches instead of Icy Hot...they take up less room and you don't have to worry about it leaking in your luggage.
I also take Johnston's Foot Soak...it works wonders on really sore and tired feet.

lots of good advice here, I would add make sure that your current shoes are comfortable in lots of situations.... feet change over time, so try some out while walking at home, and work your way up to longer walks...you can also do 'spurts' where you walk slowly for 5 minutes,then speed walk for 2 mins,etc etc until you finish your walk. try to go a few miles daily,as disney walking is miles daily. *The shoes I used to swear by for long long days in all situations...well I wore them on a 2 mile walk last week and my feet HURT.(crocs) I know what shoes feel best right now,and have given up the crocs on long walks.My point is, find 2 pairs of shoes that feel good,and bring those* ---the good thing about disney is ,yes,it's lots of walking, but it can also be at your own pace,and rest as needed....

You need to work up to walking miles and miles, but first you need to be fitted for shoes that fit properly and are constructed for any problems of gait such as overpronation. I wear cushioned, moisture-wicking socks from New Balance as well as New Balance shoes for my wide feet. Styles with numbers below 800 do not work for me. I bought a couple of pairs of New Balance shoes before a trip to Disney and did not need to break them in. Be sure to rotate a couple of pairs of shoes. While at Disney, you may also want to change socks during the day.

Def a good pair of walking shoes to prevent rubbing. I love new balance shoes, great fit and come in wides if you need them.

On our last trip in May, I saw many folks returning from their days in the parks with plantar fachiitis, a plainful inflammation of the band on the bottom of the foot connecting the heel to the toes, Having had it a few times it is no fun and can seriously impact your trip. It is caused by wearing shoes that don't provide adequate support, People complaining the loudest were those wearing flip flops. I bring two newer pair of New Balance shoes, plus a dress shoe. Good socks too. What is your favorite sock?

Body glide all over your feet. I blister easily and used to get blisters every trip, but I have not gotten even one blister since I started using it. I put if on in the morning and I am good to go. I use it for new shoes at home too because I used to get blisters about every time I wore a new pair of shoes.

As far as sore feet and legs, I started wearing Bernie Mev shoes and now my feet aren't even tired at the end of an open to close park day at WDW. They have a bunch of styles, but I usually wear the comfi or cuddly in the parks. Skechers and a few other brands are making a knock off version now, but those aren't as comfi.

Something else to help with any body aches is to drink lots of water and take an ibuprofen before bed.

Ditto the body glide....I learned about it on this board many years ago and have used it ever since on feet, legs, panty lines, etc to prevent blisters and chaffing. I am a runner and my kids are athletes. It is wonderful. I also know recommed the product Sportslick, which I purchase at our local running store.
Drink lots of water now as you are working out and drink lots of water then also. Dont quit walking bc you are sore now! Keep it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter