SOOOOOO Slow

While the DIS has been intermittently slow over the past few weeks, each day there has also been at least an hour or two of high speeds UNTIL TODAY!

I am on the DIS for a minimum of two hours a day usually and TODAY IS THE WORST I can remember in recent months. I keep leaving a window open and going off to do other things online; checking back every 5 - 10 minutes and it's exactly the same slow status!

In particular, requesting a Reply is horrible and opening a thread is horrible.

Sending a Reply seems to be much faster than the two functions listed above.

What is happening today?

I've got Cruise Critic open in another tab and can read five threads to every one of the DIS.

I ran a decent sized board that uses the same software as disboards.. NOTHING as huge as this one though. I really wonder if it's not all the sigs that people use that causes a lot of it. If people wouldnt flip out, I wonder what either limiting them or turning them off for a while would do. /shrug. I've put my time in running boards, and it's a thankless job sometimes lol. So I hope they get it figured out :).

I've put my time in running boards, and it's a thankless job sometimes lol. So I hope they get it figured out :).

I agree! I appreciate the effort that the Dis puts into the boards. I think a bunch of people do not realize that there are 3 key pieces to the boards. The front end (web pages), the Database (The were the data is cataloged) and the SAN (Where the data is located). Databases this huge and with as much traffic as the boards receive generate a massive amount of read/writes to the Database. From the notices I saw this weekend, it looks like they are upgrading to some better/faster equipment to better handle the massive amount of traffic.

We will be upgrading to some new servers over the next 10 days or so
There will be some occasional periods of downtime as we get ready to migrate
Like now
We should be back up in an hour or so

Thanks for your patience
Alex

Wish the technical support people would address the questions on this thread and on this board. Not only are the boards loading and running incredibly slow, but today they started "mixing up" the posts. Responses to posts are appearing above the actual questions. Something seems very wrong, not just occassional slowness or trouble getting on the page.

Sadly the site is BEYOND painfully slow

The DIS Forum is SLOWLY but surely turning from :banana: to :headache:

Its clearly a Server issue....one that can be corrected with Updating/repairing it as a Priority.....

My visits are much less frequent as it simply wastes more time than the enjoyment factor....:sad2:

Please, let us know whats going on, how long will it take....
before we all abandon ship, really! :flower3:
vent over :rotfl:

Sadly the site is BEYOND painfully slow

The DIS Forum is SLOWLY but surely turning from :banana: to :headache:

Its clearly a Server issue....one that can be corrected with Updating/repairing it as a Priority.....

My visits are much less frequent as it simply wastes more time than the enjoyment factor....:sad2:

Please, let us know whats going on, how long will it take....
before we all abandon ship, really! :flower3:
vent over :rotfl:

Why threaten to "abandon ship?" The DIS offers these boards at no cost to you. There is no guarantee of service. The DIS is obviously upgrading their systems and while that happens, there will be periods of slowness and some downtime. I am very appreciative for the boards and realize they could go away at anytime for no reason or explanation.

I would suggest to be patient and realize the ends will justify the means. :thumbsup2

I will point you to the post below...

I've put my time in running boards, and it's a thankless job sometimes lol. So I hope they get it figured out :).

I agree! I appreciate the effort that the Dis puts into the boards. I think a bunch of people do not realize that there are 3 key pieces to the boards. The front end (web pages), the Database (The were the data is cataloged) and the SAN (Where the data is located). Databases this huge and with as much traffic as the boards receive generate a massive amount of read/writes to the Database. From the notices I saw this weekend, it looks like they are upgrading to some better/faster equipment to better handle the massive amount of traffic.

Here was Webmaster Alex had up on a placeholder over the past weekend while he was doing prep for the server move. :thumbsup2

Like now

Thanks for your patience
Alex

I am enjoying the "speed" in which the DisBoards are loading.

It takes me back to the good 'ol days of 2400 baud modems and reading monochrome BBS posts. The glory days of watching *ahem* pictures appear on the screen one line at a time. Back when you would communicate with your family by yelling at them, because they had the audacity to pick up the phone, resetting your internet connection.

Oh we knew things would get better eventually. By 1990 there were even 14,400 baud *gasp* dial-up modems on the market. Granted they cost around $1500, but you could use it FOREVER. I mean, who could possibly ever need more than 1.4k per second?

I am enjoying the "speed" in which the DisBoards are loading.

It takes me back to the good 'ol days of 2400 baud modems and reading monochrome BBS posts. The glory days of watching *ahem* pictures appear on the screen one line at a time. Back when you would communicate with your family by yelling at them, because they had the audacity to pick up the phone, resetting your internet connection.

Oh we knew things would get better eventually. By 1990 there were even 14,400 baud *gasp* dial-up modems on the market. Granted they cost around $1500, but you could use it FOREVER. I mean, who could possibly ever need more than 1.4k per second?

Thanks for the trip back in time! I'd forgotten all the trauma of dial-up and shared lines; makes wireless internet seem like heaven!

I am unemployed so I'm on the boards all the time, or at least I used to be. The obviously busy times are morning, lunch, around dinner, etc.

But even the other times of the day are slow too. :sad2: It's impossible to surf or even post on the Disboards.

I decided to take this opportunity to post on this thread, because this has become such a big issue...and I don't know when I'll be able to post again because of the speed of the board. :rolleyes:

This has been an issue for at least 2 - 3 weeks....I'm going into HUGE withdrawl!! :mad:

diznee25

Yes, what the heck is happening? I tried to get on 3 times today. I love visiting vicariously thru others when I can't make a trip to WDW, but at this rate, it's faster for me to drive there myself.

I would go back and read the whole thread. As mentioned by Webmaster Alex in previous threads, the DIS is getting ready to move so new equipment.

Like now

Thanks for your patience
Alex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter