• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sooo Torn

paigeag

Earning My Ears
We had our first family trip to Disney 10/2012 and stayed at Kidani (rented points). We absolutely loved it! I'm starting to plan our next trip which will be Thanksgiving week 2014. We'd like to try a new resort. Originally I was set on BLT, however, now I'm second guessing myself and thinking VWL might be the way to go (Christmas decorations, etc). Plus we will likely have our Thanksgiving meal at Artist Point. The group consists of me, my husband, our 2 girls (3 and 5) and Grandma/Grandpa (same group as last time). Love that you can walk to MK from BLT, but the theme doesn't seem as warm/inviting as VWL. I'm sure we will love where ever we stay since it is Disney, but maybe you guys can help guide me in the right direction? I also read that VWL was going to have some renovations done this year? We plan to have likely 2 days of down time (we hit the parks hard last time we were there) so having things to do around the resort is somewhat important. I know I need to get my request in soon or I'll miss out all together.

VWL is a great resort for Christmas vacations being that it is next to WL. The boat ride to the MK isn't bad either. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

VWL is amazing! The resort feels warm and comforting, BLT is more sterile and modern (IMO). Roaring Forks is a great counter service dining option. The pools are perfectly sized for the ages of your kids.

Boat from WL to MK is nice but the bus is quicker!

We had our first family trip to Disney 10/2012 and stayed at Kidani (rented points). We absolutely loved it! I'm starting to plan our next trip which will be Thanksgiving week 2014. We'd like to try a new resort. Originally I was set on BLT, however, now I'm second guessing myself and thinking VWL might be the way to go (Christmas decorations, etc). Plus we will likely have our Thanksgiving meal at Artist Point. The group consists of me, my husband, our 2 girls (3 and 5) and Grandma/Grandpa (same group as last time). Love that you can walk to MK from BLT, but the theme doesn't seem as warm/inviting as VWL. I'm sure we will love where ever we stay since it is Disney, but maybe you guys can help guide me in the right direction? I also read that VWL was going to have some renovations done this year? We plan to have likely 2 days of down time (we hit the parks hard last time we were there) so having things to do around the resort is somewhat important. I know I need to get my request in soon or I'll miss out all together.
You'll note that my signature line gives away the fact that I'm biased, but VWL would be a wonderful selection for the holidays. You're correct in that the decorations and theming at the Lodge are unmatched, and for the Thanksgiving/Christmas season, I want to get that traditional feeling. WL and VWL deliver. There are plenty of family things to do during your down time, too. Others will likely chime in, but a few options you have I've listed below:
- s'mores on the beach followed by a family movie (moved indoors during inclement weather)
- bike/surrey rentals
- nature trail leading off from the bike rental OR
- walking path leading between WL and FW, about a mile one way (the nature trail hooks up to the walking path, too)
- Hidden Mickey search (get a handout from the front desk)
- Cubs' Den: club for little ones where they can play games, watch movies, do activities. Nominal cost but worth it.
- put your name in to be flag family for a day

Of course, there is the easy access to MK, either by boat (the most fun) or by bus (sometimes the quickest). Bus service, in general, has always struck me as being above average. I say go for it. Certainly, you won't know until you try VWL. ;)

Thanks everyone! I submitted a request for VWL, now I wait to see if there is availability. So excited!

Great decision. You won't be disappointed. VWL is the number 1 choice at Christmastime.

We stayed at VWL Dec 2011. It was wonderful and it was decorated so pretty for Christmas! I agree, it felt so warm and inviting. It has a very homey feel to it. Pull up a rocking chair next to the fire, and you'll never want to leave. Roaring Fork is a great counter service. I loved we had our own tree in the Villas building. I love that resort!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter