• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sony A55

1st-9th, hope to run into you :) I'll be posting on twitter (CodyWDWFan)

I'm most disappointed about not having the awesome HD video, just our basic flash camcorder instead. I even bought a hotshoe mounted external mic in anticipation. Oh well..

I'll keep an eye on twitter and see where you are at. And keep an eye out for 3 identical little one's! :goodvibes

Have a great trip!!

This little lovely jumped into my bag just before I left MN.

SonyA55-2.jpg

I just missed getting to a KEH roadshow to see what they would offer for the A550. I wanted to see what they might give for it but my flight got in too late to go get boxes and such and get to the store. I think I'll see if I have any luck on Craigslist with the A550.

I'm looking forward to the smaller camera to carry at times and to the added functionality like the panorama, in camera HDR and the 10 fps! I had gotten the A550 for the 7fps and it did a very good job but 10 - can't wait! Played around with the video a little and so far I'm impressed. Sony of course placed just about every other camera on sale so it made the decision between the a580 and the a55 that much harder but the a55 is just so slick! All the camera store staff I spoke to were quite enthused over it. This was the last body only they had amongst 7 stores although they did have a couple of kits still. It has apparently been selling quite well.

Congrats on your purchase! I had an opportunity to play around with this camera and I was shocked at how fast it was. It's a little machine gun. Have fun with your new toy!

This little lovely jumped into my bag just before I left MN.

SonyA55-2.jpg

I just missed getting to a KEH roadshow to see what they would offer for the A550. I wanted to see what they might give for it but my flight got in too late to go get boxes and such and get to the store. I think I'll see if I have any luck on Craigslist with the A550.

I'm looking forward to the smaller camera to carry at times and to the added functionality like the panorama, in camera HDR and the 10 fps! I had gotten the A550 for the 7fps and it did a very good job but 10 - can't wait! Played around with the video a little and so far I'm impressed. Sony of course placed just about every other camera on sale so it made the decision between the a580 and the a55 that much harder but the a55 is just so slick! All the camera store staff I spoke to were quite enthused over it. This was the last body only they had amongst 7 stores although they did have a couple of kits still. It has apparently been selling quite well.

I'm ignoring this post, we know what happened when yu posted on here about your A700 purchase..

I got my a55 yesterday and the CZ16-80 lens last week. The lens isn't what I expected, the build quality isn't as good as Canon L lenses - I know, it doesn't have the price tag either. Definitely better in both build and image quality than the kit lens.

I tried out the HDR function quickly, nice, but it only works in JPEG. The features are pretty nice, but the image review is set to review in the view finder, which I don't like - But I haven't upgraded the firmware.

I do like the functionality, it's a great replacement for a point and shoot, but I don't see it ever taking the place of my 50d. But I'm sure it'll grow on me.

I got my a55 yesterday and the CZ16-80 lens last week. The lens isn't what I expected, the build quality isn't as good as Canon L lenses - I know, it doesn't have the price tag either. Definitely better in both build and image quality than the kit lens.

I tried out the HDR function quickly, nice, but it only works in JPEG. The features are pretty nice, but the image review is set to review in the view finder, which I don't like - But I haven't upgraded the firmware.

I do like the functionality, it's a great replacement for a point and shoot, but I don't see it ever taking the place of my 50d. But I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Congrats on getting the camera and lens!

The CZ16-80 never was known for it's build quality but I find the picture quality to be very good. And I personally haven't had any problem with the lens itself after owning it for 2+ years (and actually bought it used). It is the only CZ lens like this - the others are absolute tanks. And those have the price tag to match the Canon L lenses!

I haven't upgraded firmware and the image review is both in the viewfinder and on the lcd. (wasn't aware there was a firmware update actually) However I turned off the image review and do it manually if I want to look at something since I found it more annoying than useful in the viewfinder. Maybe just b/c it's different - time will tell. I imagine in some situations it might actually be helpful and will allow a quick review without removing the camera from your eye but since I don't review every picture I take I'll switch it on when I need it. And since your seeing a proper display of exposure in the viewfinder I could see review becoming even less necessary even in tricky situations. I do like that it switches automatically from the screen to the viewfinder when you place your eye to it.

I was hoping that they would have the camera switch to jpg automatically when you select the HDR but got used to it with the A550.

My A850 isn't going anywhere but so far I am liking the A55 also.

Congrats on getting the camera and lens!

The CZ16-80 never was known for it's build quality but I find the picture quality to be very good. And I personally haven't had any problem with the lens itself after owning it for 2+ years (and actually bought it used). It is the only CZ lens like this - the others are absolute tanks. And those have the price tag to match the Canon L lenses!

Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS EF-S, which is L glass in a slightly less-than-L-quality housing. But an amazing lens none the less.

I haven't upgraded firmware and the image review is both in the viewfinder and on the lcd. (wasn't aware there was a firmware update actually) However I turned off the image review and do it manually if I want to look at something since I found it more annoying than useful in the viewfinder. Maybe just b/c it's different - time will tell. I imagine in some situations it might actually be helpful and will allow a quick review without removing the camera from your eye but since I don't review every picture I take I'll switch it on when I need it. And since your seeing a proper display of exposure in the viewfinder I could see review becoming even less necessary even in tricky situations. I do like that it switches automatically from the screen to the viewfinder when you place your eye to it.

I was hoping that they would have the camera switch to jpg automatically when you select the HDR but got used to it with the A550.

Yeah, I should stop being so ANAL and just shoot in JPEG! :rotfl:

My A850 isn't going anywhere but so far I am liking the A55 also.

Yeah, not even in the same class, those two cameras. I have my eye on the A850, but don't think I could give up my Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT1 with an AC3 combo for external flashes. That has got to me one of my big annoyances with Sony, that damn hot shoe. Do you use any adapters reliably? I can't believe sony wants $100 for the adapter!

Yeah, not even in the same class, those two cameras. I have my eye on the A850, but don't think I could give up my Pocket Wizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT1 with an AC3 combo for external flashes. That has got to me one of my big annoyances with Sony, that damn hot shoe. Do you use any adapters reliably? I can't believe sony wants $100 for the adapter!

Sorry - can't help with any adapters or how reliable they are. It's not too often that I do flash photography and only use a Sony flash for the few times I am not using an on-camera. Perhaps someone else can chime in since I think a couple of the other Sony shooters do studio work.

I didn't run into Kathy, but I did get a chance to see an A55 on my WDW trip when I ran into a group of Pixelmania shooters. I was pretty impressed with the EVF.

But the question remains.. do I order it again? WDW was the main reason I wanted it and I won't be back for over a year (with family, anyway). But I'm still intrigued by the HD video at home, especially as my boys get more independently mobile. Also the great, responsive live view. So torn...

Also I bought this cheapo hotshoe microphone in anticipation of getting the A55, but I don't think it would be too hard to sell locally given the number of video DSLRs being sold now..

I think it's time to hit Youtube and convince myself to order it again :P

I have taken mine to the parks two days now. A couple things I've noticed:

Photo pass photographers are a bit weirded out by the camera and it's abilities, especially if I don't put it in auto before I hand it to them.

Sony's flagship 58 flash sure dwarfs this camera, the balance is off too.

The image quality is great and the flash's reach is pretty impressive for an on board camera

The battery life sucks

The articulating LCD is great for shooting over people's heads and from down low.

HDR is a cool trick to have in your bag.

GPS is working, not sure I'll ever use it effectively, but it works.

I love SD card media because I don't have to dig out a CF reader for my 50d

The compact size is pretty awsome!

I finally found a body-only A55 on ebay (after a month backordered on Amazon), it will be here Friday :)

Albert, I just saw your post about the hotshoe adapter.. I use a cheap adapter with my cheap radio triggers :rolleyes:.. hasn't given me any trouble yet.

Well, it's final. I bought a Sony A55 with a kit lens. Why? Well, beyond the GPS, it's the articulating screen - something I really want for Disney. Gunna pick up a CZ 16-80 f/3.5-4.5 lens for it. I would like something larger, but don't want that much bulk and think I won't be happy with the 16-105, which I seriously looked at.

I'm curious why you bought the camera with the kit lens if you had already decided to get the CZ lens. (Or maybe you hadn't?) Is there some purpose that the kit lens will serve? I'm asking because I already have an a55 with the kit lens, but I'm having some trouble with the lens. I'm still within my 30 day return window, so I stopped into the store to talk to them about it. Even though I'm happy with the camera, and it's just the lens that's not working right, I will have to return the whole set and wait for a new one. I'm debating just ordering the camera body only and putting the $100 towards a different lens. Then the issue of availability comes up. I can probably get a kit faster than a body only. Was that the reason you went with the kit?

This thing is a joy to use! Really loving the ability to snap a few shots then immediately transition to taking an HD video.

The size reminds me of my old Olympus E-510, even a bit smaller. I have big hands but when I had the Oly I got used to holding my pinky under the camera for a solid, stable grip, doing the same with the A55 and it works great. With a compact prime mounted, it hardly feels larger than a bridge camera (A55 + 50mm is a tiny powerhouse)

10fps is crazy, it's almost hard to just take one frame.. it has been great with my boys capturing those expressions that only last an instant. My reject key is going to get a workout every time I import into Lightroom :rolleyes:

I've been using live view + articulating screen almost exclusively when I'm with my boys, makes it so much easier to get down at their level. The responsiveness of the live view is awesome.

Video quality is brilliant, here's a video of my boys turning a crib into a mosh pit lit only by the 60W bulb in their room.. I'm impressed.

Speaking of video, I'm glad I got an external microphone.. it doesn't completely cut the AF noise (all my lenses are body-driven AF) but it helps a lot, and sounds better in general than the built in mics. I'm going to try to make a foam spacer to put between the camera and mic to dampen the AF motor vibration being transferred to the mic. Here's the camera with mic mounted, using a hotshoe adapter (lens is Tamron 17-50/2.8):

1158642907_Adp3U-L.jpg

I got it off ebay for $32.. not paying $150 for the Sony one.

Now the bad.....

Battery life sucks, but it's sort of understandable since the battery is small and it's basically using live view the whole time it is on. I'm glad I bought two extra batteries.. I don't have a problem with third party batteries - I picked up 2 of these Zeikos NP-FW50 clones for $25/each and they are lasting as long or longer than the stock one.

And the worst.....

I sort of expected this after reading about it beforehand, but all 3 of my Sigma lenses (30mm f/1.4, 10-20mm & 105mm macro) are old enough that they are having the aperture control problem and will have to be sent to Sigma for an update to work properly with the A55 :( Disappointing as I was very excited for A55 + my favorite lens (30/1.4) but oh well I can wait another week or two.

I'm curious why you bought the camera with the kit lens if you had already decided to get the CZ lens. (Or maybe you hadn't?) Is there some purpose that the kit lens will serve? I'm asking because I already have an a55 with the kit lens, but I'm having some trouble with the lens. I'm still within my 30 day return window, so I stopped into the store to talk to them about it. Even though I'm happy with the camera, and it's just the lens that's not working right, I will have to return the whole set and wait for a new one. I'm debating just ordering the camera body only and putting the $100 towards a different lens. Then the issue of availability comes up. I can probably get a kit faster than a body only. Was that the reason you went with the kit?

The A55 had just come out, stock was limited, when I found the camera, it was the same price with or without the kit lens. I got mine out of Canada on ebay.

Glad you were finally able to get the A55 body Code! I'm also really enjoying using the camera and just got back from my second trip to WDW with it. (Last minute conference in FL so I took a few days at the parks). I haven't used the video too much but did for a snipet of the CP in Dec and tried it on the MSEP last week. Very nice and I think the autofocus works very well.

Battery life is not great as you said but I haven't actually had to change a battery during a day. I've heard that turning the GPS off can help but haven't tried that and of course video really drains and I haven't been using that as much.

The surprising thing for me is how much I've really gotten to like the EVF and start missing it when I'm using a different camera! It's very nice to see what you're going to get including WB and exposure.

The A55 had just come out, stock was limited, when I found the camera, it was the same price with or without the kit lens. I got mine out of Canada on ebay.

Oh, it was the same price with or without the lens. Well, that would make the decision easy.

I returned my camera and lens. At the store, they tried another kit lens on the camera and got the same error, so maybe the problem was with the camera and not the lens. I have a Minolta lens that I never got the error with, though. :scratchin I decided to order 'body only' this time. And the wait continues...

I was looking at the A55 over the weekend and my only drawlback is the LCD viewfinder. I am glad to hear so many high praises for this camera. I am a Sony "snob" all of my digital cameras are Sony's, but I had all Minolta cameras also, so it made it really easy to move to Sony.

I am probably going to wait for a little bit to buy this camera. I just bought an iPad and I have to save up the money for it. I just need a body and not lenses.

I was looking at the A55 over the weekend and my only drawlback is the LCD viewfinder. I am glad to hear so many high praises for this camera. I am a Sony "snob" all of my digital cameras are Sony's, but I had all Minolta cameras also, so it made it really easy to move to Sony.

I am probably going to wait for a little bit to buy this camera. I just bought an iPad and I have to save up the money for it. I just need a body and not lenses.

would probably be better off waiting for the a65 or a77... the a55 will probably be found in the close out bins before long.

would probably be better off waiting for the a65 or a77... the a55 will probably be found in the close out bins before long.

Unfortunately, I cannot wait for much longer. My LCD screen on my A300 has a malfunction (aka doesn't work...LOL) and it will cost about $200 to get it fixed and if I save up that money and a little extra money I can have the A55 body only. I am most likely going in early May to the Sony outlet in Delaware to see what I can get there. When I was there in October, they had the A55. I could have gotten it then, but I didn't want to spend the money at the time because the purpose of that trip was to get an iPad. They had a body only A55 for cheaper than I can get it online. I am sure by when I can get back down there, it would be more in my price range.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter