Son's first trip. Need lots of ideas please

Ellen.and.Joey

Earning My Ears
We are coming to Disney in July for a conference and it will be my son's first trip to Disney. He is 5 with Down Syndrome and he LOVES Mickey, Goofy, Buzz and Woody. I have been reading lots but want some ideas from the MB about must sees, must haves or dos. We have our meal plans planned out and are staying on property and have our flights so the big things are taken care of but I want this be the best.

Is there wireless at the resorts in the rooms?

Any tips on autograph books or making one. I know to get a large marker for the characters.

All help appreciated.

Hey there, it sounds like you guys are going to have a great time. Do any of your meal plans have his favorite characters in them? If not you might want to consider Chef Mickey or Tusker House. That way he can have some one on one time with the characters. Also on the autograph book, the creative dis thread on here (located toward the bottom) has some great ideas for autograph books. I used one on my prior trip for my DD and the interaction with the characters was great. The people on the creative dis do a wonderful job of making something unique. I hope you and your son have a great trip! :woohoo:

Instead of an autograph book, we did a pillow case and bought fabric markers for the characters to sign with. (the markers are bigger,so it was never a problem for any of them to use). They turned out great and the kids ended up with over 30 siggies from different characters between character meals and characters we saw in the park. The kids also have an awesome souvenir they use regularly (unlike a book that would get laid aside)!!!

I also made personalized t-shirts for the kids from the Creative DISigns board. Your son might like wearing a shirt with Buzz/Woody and his name or a Mickey head that says 1st trip or something like that.

Just my thoughts! Have TONS of fun!!!:wizard:

Buy the autograph book at WDW. Its $5 and easily a great price over making one or looking for one at home. I wouldn't bring a marker. Rather bring a fat/oversized pen with the click top thing for getting the ballpoint in and out. These are great for the characters because they can use them without having the hand the pen back to you.

Get a disposable camera and put a return address label on it for your son to use.

When you get to HS, go early and head up and to the left. Hit Muppet Vision, by the time you come out the exit there are usually Toy Story characters waiting for kids and usually without a wait.

Call guest relations ahead of time and talk to them about your son's condition and they can give you a ton of tips and special services to accomodate you.

Where are you staying? ASMo has an entire wing dedicated to Toy Story, which is quite cool. If you're not staying there, it might be fun to head over on arrival or departure day to eat and take pictures.

Definitely the disposable camera! Wonderful idea. A friend had the characters sign a teeshirt that the kids presented them - permanent maker and a hard book to write on.... she bought XL so they could use the shirts as nightware!

Our favourite tip for shopping involves no shopping at all. DD would pose with one of the Disney hats and we'd take a pic! We have dozens of shots (without a hat in our closet!) of all of us!:wizard:

I like the Kooky pens from Staples for autograph books. I noticed that Disney now sells them with characters on them.

I brought a T-shirt for the characters to sign last year (my niece already had the book from the previous year) and some retractable Sharpie Pens. The characters liked to choose their own colors.

I would call and talk with the folks at WDW. Also you may want to reach out to different orgs that support down syndrome. here in stl I know www.pujolsfamilyfoundation.org is a big org.

If you go back behind the castle into toon town IF it is still open, you can see characters behind micky/miney house. ALso another fast way is if you are Disney Visa card holder. I longest I have waited is 10 minutes. This occurs only at epcot for visa members

Here are some ideas:

* When my kids were younger, little Disney themed gifts would appear when we left the room or overnight...from Tink or Mickey as a special surprise. They always felt so special
that Mickey left them a gift!

* check out the Creative DISign board as mentioned -- you will be inspired to make custom t's, autograph books, invitiations for character meals, etc. I made my auto graph books by printing clip-art pics of characters we were likely to see on cardstock and having it bound at Kinkos. The characters loved the custom books and gave a lot of attention to the kids.

* read a guidebook and be familiar w/the rides and shows -- they are well done, but if kiddos aren't ready, they will hate them. The shows are LOUD and can be scary (some rides as well), anticipate if fireworks will be too loud or late, etc. and plan accordingly! Some rides LOOK scary but are fine, so you having background knowledge will really help. I believe most rides are available for "previews" on Youtube.

* character meals are the most efficient way to interact/collect autographs - otherwise have a plan when you will meet characters, as it can take a huge chunk of time.

* Light up toys and glow bracelets etc are great fun at night, and you can save a bit of $$$ by bringing ahead of time....or if Tink/Mickey delivers as a surprise.

* don't forget to plan pool time -- most kids love the pools as much as the parks

* We still love to do the Kidcot fun stops around world showcase in Epcot - kids color a mask then collect a charm from each country....you can also make/purchase a passport and get it stamped in each country. This really enhances the experience. It can also be fun to try a piece of candy/snack at each country over the course of your trip. Another thing we do in Epcot is try on (and I take pics) of the kids wearing the various hats from each country - great photo ops w/viking hat and sword and Troll in Norway!

* since you are traveling in July, consider a misting fan!

* the Lego Store in Downtown Disney is fantastic and has outdoor building stations that are wonderful for kids of all ages!

* we are trying the Pirate League pirate makeover on our next trip. There are also fun things like face-painting, Barbershop confetti 'do (in the MK), etc., if you think he would enjoy it.

* Somehow Disney snacks are extra special!!! We love frozen lemonade and really any kind of ice cream from a snack car!! Also, popcorn (in themed bucket), pretzels anything from a candy store is great!

* If you have a chance, pop out to the Boardwalk an evening you are at Epcot - there are excellent street performers, snacks and even midway games.

* my kids love to try a few of the midway games at Animal Kingdom.

* check out the exceptional playgrounds at AK and DHS - they are fantasticaly themed and great for kids to stretch their legs! There is also a Pooh playground at MK. They all have squirty water features tho!!

Welcome to the Dis and happy planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter