• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Somewhat off topic

Bedtime at our house is often spent watching ride videos. We love them, and the kids get so excited deciding what we will "ride" next.
Also, I watched ride videos to determine FoP is a no-go for me.
The ride videos backfired on me when my 4 year old recognized the Splash Mountain entrance and decided he wasn't going on - but that just made for a fun memory of me chasing him through Frontierland

Only for educational purposes. (To test whether a kid is willing to ride.) otherwise, I like to save the experience for in person. Plus they make me sick to watch-- motion sick! My son, though, can stream rollercoaster rides and feel almost like he is on it.

We did before our last trip and it got the kids excited as they didnt remember the rides from when they were 2.5. It gave us a hint as to which they would want to ride over and over again and which to skip. They also loved some of the music which led to watching the movies that inspired the rides.

I just watched my first the other day because I had no clue what the 7DMT was. After watching it, it seems so much like BTMRR (theme aside) that it surprised me they were both in the same park. That's assuming BTMRR is similar or the same as the Disneyland version.

I did with my kids before out last trip. In part because because we were excited, but for the most part to get them prepared for what to expect on some of the 'bigger' rides. They were pretty wary of some of the rides and I thought it would help them know what to expect.
I think it did help, they rode more rides than I thought they might!

I've tried it, and I don't care for it. It's just not the same experience. I don't think it would ruin a new ride, because it is so different. Most of the ones I've watched were rides I've been on, and I was bored watching them.. I'd never be bored on the actual ride. I prefer watching Periscopes or Vlogs, where people are walking around Disney, talking about their trip and/ or showing brief highlights. Those are more fun, because you feel like you're on the trip with them!

I have shown my kids ride videos to help get them excited about the trip and to let them know what some of the experiences will be like. Disney is the only amusement park we go to, so they have no frame of reference.

I do not watch videos of new rides though. No pandora or Frozen ride videos will be watched until after this trip. I don't want to ruin the wonder of the rides for myself, and I don't think my kids need to be prepped for them like they do the drops on splash and tower of terror.

I find it very hard to resist watching ride videos... especially from parks like Shanghai, Hong Kong, Paris, and Tokyo where I'm not likely to visit soon.

I'm glad I knew almost nothing about Expedition Everest when I rode it though. I had absolutely no idea what that ride was going to do, and the surprise was so much fun.

I even watched half of the Rivers of Light and Happily Ever After nighttime shows to see if I would like them. But I stopped halfway to not ruin any big finale surprises.

Nope, never. I want to see it with my own eyes. It would completely ruin the magic for me. I like to know the general concept of the ride, so I may read the description on the website, but never ever watch a video of it.

Nope. Ruins the ride if you already know ahead of time.

If I don't know about a ride I'll just read what it says on the website. "Dark boat ride", "coaster", etc.. I want to be surprised and take in a ride myself the first time I ride it
I agree. I even hate that they are showing Pandora commercials on the Disney channel now with tween stars checking out the land. It gives my kids a glimpse of things I would rather them not see before our next trip. 8-)

Watching the videos is nothing like experiencing the actual ride for itself. I've learned this from my recent trip to Universal where I watched videos for nearly all the rides I was doing thinking that some were more mild as they looked. Boy was I wrong! The ride experience actually being much crazier than I had anticipated. I've only watched scraps of the recently opened rides at Disney. I don't think it ruins the magic because there's much more to the rides than just sight.

I almost always watch a ride video before I will go on it. I have a lot of anxiety and the unknown causes panic attacks. If I know what to expect, then I can usually work through it. Last time I was at Universal, Escape from Gringott's had just opened and there was no ride videos yet available. I rode it... and freaked. Not my idea of fun.

Watching ride videos helped me feel comfortable with BTMRR and Dinosaur. They also helped me know that I should not ride Everest or Splash.

I just watched my first the other day because I had no clue what the 7DMT was. After watching it, it seems so much like BTMRR (theme aside) that it surprised me they were both in the same park. That's assuming BTMRR is similar or the same as the Disneyland version.

I hate to disagree on such a friendly thread but I think big thunder mountain is scary compared to 7dmt

I've tried it, and I don't care for it. It's just not the same experience. I don't think it would ruin a new ride, because it is so different. Most of the ones I've watched were rides I've been on, and I was bored watching them.. I'd never be bored on the actual ride. I prefer watching Periscopes or Vlogs, where people are walking around Disney, talking about their trip and/ or showing brief highlights. Those are more fun, because you feel like you're on the trip with them!

Not to disagree but I love watching cop on YouTube even though it is outdated

I have shown my kids ride videos to help get them excited about the trip and to let them know what some of the experiences will be like. Disney is the only amusement park we go to, so they have no frame of reference.

I do not watch videos of new rides though. No pandora or Frozen ride videos will be watched until after this trip. I don't want to ruin the wonder of the rides for myself, and I don't think my kids need to be prepped for them like they do the drops on splash and tower of terror.

I thought fea had a drop
I agree. I even hate that they are showing Pandora commercials on the Disney channel now with tween stars checking out the land. It gives my kids a glimpse of things I would rather them not see before our next trip. 8-)

I rarely watch live tv anymore for that reason too many ads although guilty of watching fop last night I wanted to make sure I could handle the ride before getting a fast pass for it still not sure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter