Someone PLEASE just tell what tent to buy!

disnyeprincesspluto

Earning My Ears
So here it is....I need a tent that has a place for an ac port or a way to put one in.....My husband is 6foot4 and he just wants to be able to stand up....and I dont want it to drip water from the dew in the mornins...have space for 3 kids 3 and under to run around just a little without killin everyone! We are a family of 5.....I have bought 3 tents and had to take them back after test runs from getting very wet.....they were ozark trail tents ....a real let down seein how they are the most affordable for larger tents....any ideas yall????????????

So here it is....I need a tent that has a place for an ac port or a way to put one in.....My husband is 6foot4 and he just wants to be able to stand up....and I dont want it to drip water from the dew in the mornins...have space for 3 kids 3 and under to run around just a little without killin everyone! We are a family of 5.....I have bought 3 tents and had to take them back after test runs from getting very wet.....they were ozark trail tents ....a real let down seein how they are the most affordable for larger tents....any ideas yall????????????

I've never used this tent or know anyone who's used this tent, but it does look interesting (sorry it's an Ozark Trail tent) seems to have some good reviews.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-16-x-16-Cabin-Dome-Tent-Sleeps-12/20531614

Consider where you will mostly be camping.... we camp alot at state parks and I know the pads would not accommodate an "L" shape like the one linked. I recommend something like the Coleman Hampton... it is a cabin style so it is the same height all the way through..it's 10 x 14 and almost 7 feet high. We love this tent so much we went back and bought a second one to have as a backup. We have had the first one for about 5 years and have camped in sleet, high winds, heavy rains... and still use it and have never sealed the seams. It is a great tent however it could be tight with 5. We only have 3, but we do put a great deal of gear in there with air mattresses, etc... go to websites like rei.com or campmor.com etc... or just google tents. There are so many to choose from these days and I feel it is really a personal choice.

If you want a great tent that is easy to setup and will last a long time and keep you dry in the rain look at The North Face MOUNTAIN MANOR 8. We purchased one two years ago since we camp in northern Michigan on Lake Michigan during the summer. Now when the storms roll in and the wind is howling we stay dry.
It comes with all the seams sealed and a lifetime warranty.

Also, what do you think would be the largest size tent that would fit at the wilderness campsites?

Also, what do you think would be the largest size tent that would fit at the wilderness campsites?

Lori,

There is no simple answer but there are some general guidelines since the tent pads are not standardized.

The Fort campsites with tent pads are on the Tent, Full, and Preferred loops. They all have 12-foot wide driveways and the pads generally extend a foot extra on each side. There are a few sites (you can count them on one hand) that have small trees inside the tent pad so they prevent the one-big-tent approach. Let's set those to the side. Let's also set aside those few sites that are REALLY small (less than 10' pad - I had one once).

So one dimension is probably safe at 12 feet. How deep the tent can be is the wildcard. Some I have measured at about 15 feet deep and others are nearly 50 feet deep. The best thing you can do is to call the WDW reservation number and have the size of your tent added as a note to your reservation if it is large. By large I'd say anything with a dimension bigger than 12 feet.

So you can go big - and others have - but give the Fort folks the tent dimensions if you have a biggie and they will generally try to ensure you get a side that can hold it. If you don't tell them, they can't help you - then you are taking your chances.

Good luck!

Bama Ed

Last edited:
We have this one and LOVE it!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Instant-20-x-10-Cabin-Tent-Sleeps-12/42120621

It is Ozark Trail but we have never had it leak on is at all and we've spent days upon days in it while it was raining.

Plenty of room for myself, husband and our 4 kids.

We put a queen on one end and a queen and twin next to one another on the other end. There's a big spot in the middle to move around and hang out.

Try this one. Up in 3 minutes, even without directions. Very tall, plenty of room. Cool weather tent, no humidity in the morning due to the placement of the rain fly. Ports on both ends can be slit up the sides, add Velcro, and you have an a/c port.

IMG_0865.jpg IMG_0866.jpg There is also a company called Outwell that makes large family vacation tents. When they rate their tents, it is not how many people you can squeeze in, rather how many it can comfortably hold. The one I have I take with us at times when kids and grandkids come along. This one is called the Outwell Florida 8. The pictures have the porch extension on it, which I hardly use. It is about 15 feet wide and around 17 long. The extension puts it out to around 29 feet. I am 6' and still pretty far from the ceiling. It has a 14,000 btu heat pump, and I had a reflective/ insulated cover made that covers most of the roof and part of the sides. The two bedrooms you see can hold a queen size mattress in each. It has a third smaller bedroom that I leave out. It also has light weight carpet in the living room area.

View attachment 228818

Hubby should be able to stand up in this, will house more than 5 comfortably, can put ac unit under a side. Only downside is it may be tight on a FW campsite.
I don't think size on the campsite is the "ONLY" downside. That appears to be a GP Medium tent, Weight might be a bit of an issue. Weighing in at over 500 pounds, moving it to the site and setting it up takes more then a typical family could do. I seem to recall on our "GP Smalls" when I was in the army was at least a 3 Soldier job (okay 2 could do it but it was a lot of work to get it right).

That being said, since the dimensions of a GP Medium are 16 x 32, I would think it could fit on a Tent or Full site. :D

I don't think size on the campsite is the "ONLY" downside. That appears to be a GP Medium tent, Weight might be a bit of an issue. Weighing in at over 500 pounds, moving it to the site and setting it up takes more then a typical family could do. I seem to recall on our "GP Smalls" when I was in the army was at least a 3 Soldier job (okay 2 could do it but it was a lot of work to get it right).

I agree, this is indeed a GP Medium. The mobililty team I served on in the Air Force used 2 of them and it took quite a bit of manpower to carry and then set up. The center pole was sooooo much fun to set after you burrowed under all that heavy canvas and then struggled to lift the wooden pole and all that canvas into place. They are great tents, but you need a small army to set and tear them down!

The center pole was sooooo much fun to set after you burrowed under all that heavy canvas
And it was always :rolleyes: fun to be the one to steady the "Center" pole (or poles) under all that canvas in the MIDDLE of the SUMMER. A sauna has NOTHING on canvas in the summer time.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter