Some Universal observations this week

Been at Hard Rock since the 11th. Having a great time, but there have been some not so great moments:

They've been doing some filming for some reality game show. Huge area outside Studio entrance has been blocked off. Today, they were filming outside of Islands. This is probably meaningless to most, but as huge fans of Islands, it was a bummer. The music played throughout Port of Entry was shut off all day. It really hurt the ambience of the area.

Fire alarm went off at 3:00AM last night. No explanation as to what happened.

I've officially lost all hope for the Hard Rock brand ever being Hard or even rock anymore. 'N Sync, Whitney Houston, Backstreet Boys. They should just change the name to Pop Cafe and Pop Hotel.

We caught the nighttime show at the Studios tonight. Water effects were cool, but the sound was awful. Busted speakers all around us. No Jaws, Back to the Future, Shrek or Classic Monster clips. Instead, Trolls, How to train your Dragon and Harry Potter (not even a Universal franchise).

People smoking cigarettes all over the place and team members not saying a word.

Toothsome wouldn't honor priority seating for on-site guests because they were "too busy".

Again, having a great time. Just finding that there are more things than usual that are a bit off. Many team members not behaving "show ready" as Disney would say.

Fair point but considering HP is a HUGE part of Universal's popularity, I think I understand the decision.

Wow....you guys have had the opposite experience we have had the last 10 years of visiting Universal.

Smoking....some people are ignorant and don't care about other people at times......however, we have found the TM will tell people to go to specific smoking areas. We detest smoking and won`t sit close to where people are smoking.....but we haven't found it to be an issue. At HHN they actively seek out smokers in the lines and will remove them if they don't stop.

Management do care. We met the CEO of Universal Orlando last year and his primary concern is guest satisfaction......we have two friends who are managers in Studios and spend much of their time addressing guest issues...…

TM. Well, what can I say....we have never experienced in all our visits anything like you have described....last year alone we spent almost two months at UOR...….and found staff to be friendly, helpful and genuinely enjoy their job.....which amazes me when you see some of what they have to deal with day in day out.....

They can`t do enough for you if you do need help.....again this is constant over many visits, not just a one and done...…

We once many years ago went into MK and we heard two CM berate Disney for ruining the planet setting off the small fireworks during the day for something or other......and then proceeded to slate guest in a mocking tone......haven't ever seen that at Universal...…..

Your experience is unusual...….and of course there are always folks that will come to agree with you who seem to enjoy slating Universal any chance they get......

Of course not going back is entirely your privilege, but I want to put the alternative experience out there as someone who visited five times last year and will be back again this year for four visits...…I would hate someone who is considering going to Universal for the first time to think this is the norm.....it isn't.

I detest rudeness and won’t stand for it, but it has never been an issue for us......we find folks at UOR to be everything we would want them to be...….

As for contacting them, every time I have had the need to email guest services or similar a response has been activated within 48 hours and twice they have called me at home with an answer....…..

So, I think you are being very unfair branding every employee the way you have. There are some amazing employees out there and I`m thankful to say that`s all we have ever experienced at UOR.

I agree with this whole post, but most especially this last part.

As far as the smoking thing, I've not had a problem at the parks, but the millisecond some people hit Citywalk they light up immediately and blow their smoke around without a care for the people around them.

Been at Hard Rock since the 11th. Having a great time, but there have been some not so great moments:

We caught the nighttime show at the Studios tonight. Water effects were cool, but the sound was awful. Busted speakers all around us. No Jaws, Back to the Future, Shrek or Classic Monster clips. Instead, Trolls, How to train your Dragon and Harry Potter (not even a Universal franchise).

We saw the show Saturday night and didn't have any audio problems, where did you watch it from?

This is the honest truth. I have been going to UO since the first year they opened and those first few years were a rough start, but I can not remember ever seeing even one person smoking.

I do know some people are hyper sensitive though. One night at work I was supervisor, and got a call to come to the front as soon as I could about a complaint. We were super busy, but I dropped what I was doing and headed to the front window. There was a lady standing there, pinching her nose, making gagging sounds and fanning her face with the other hand. I asked how I could help and she said there was someone smoking in the waiting area. I had her taken to our break area and called housekeeping to do damage control and went out to the waiting area. It was crowded, but I did not see anyone smoking. So I walked around some more and I saw a lady with a white Bic pen in her mouth. I asked her if she had been smoking or had seem anyone smoking. The lady and everyone around her said no. So I asked the whole room if anyone had seen anyone smoking. Everyone said no. I had housekeeping do their spray routine, but to this day, I think the complaint lady saw the other lady with the pen in her mouth and assumed she was smoking.

I am handicapped, and technically, by the ride guidelines, I should not be allowed on most of the rides at all, but they call the supervisor down to assess me and I always get to ride. (I am missing my whole right leg to the hip) During the usually very small wait, I am talked to, asked questions, told jokes to, given tips. offered water, then the supervisor gets there, sometimes ask me a few questions but usually just takes my wheelchair and takes my group to the front of the line. We all do have express passes so I am not sure what would be protocol if we didn't.

I have not been to disney in almost 5 years now but will be going back in April. It will be fun to see how I am handled there. I am over the moon with how UO handles me. I have not encountered one rude TM. I have met obviously new TM, or very tired TM, but never a rude one.

You know, I should clarify. To be fair, the TM'S weren't rude. That's not fair of me to say. Some just seemed apathetic and bored. The type you'd expect to see at Six Flags. That's not to say you don't see it at Disney too, because you certainly do. Here's the best way I can explain it:

One day leaving IoA, we stopped at the candy shop to grab a couple things. TM rang us up and I showed her my AP like I always do. She got all flustered and said "Ugh, you are supposed to show me that before I ring you up." Not so. Everything we've ever bought at a Universal store, the TM just scans our pass after ringing the sale up. If we're doing something wrong, nobody has ever said a word to us. It's those types of things that stand out. Another TM, we actually saw 2 different nights working the photo station at the Mummy exit. Both nights she looked like she was falling asleep, slouched over, holding her chin up in her hand, lazily repeating "Ride photos over here." Is it a big deal? No. But it's just not the type of attitude we're used to at Universal.

As far as the smoking thing, I've not had a problem at the parks, but the millisecond some people hit Citywalk they light up immediately and blow their smoke around without a care for the people around them.
Yeah - I have not had issues with smokers - for the most part they always seem to be in the smoking areas - most people know this now.
The only time I have had issues with this is when I am in a smoking area - like the one near Vamp88 - I have sat there many times and not realized it was the smoking area until someone lit up - so that's on me.

Maybe they were vapors and not smokers? I've seen far more people walking around the parks vaping than smoking - not sure what the rules are on that

OP - as for TM\CMs - I think Universal and Disney are having this same issue - apathetic cast members. the majority are very good - but the ones that are not stick out. I thinks that is really the issue - when you run into someone who just does not want to be there you really notice it - and unfortunately they need staff and cant be as choosy as they might want to be

Last edited:

Maybe they were vapors and not smokers? I've seen far more people walking around the parks vaping than smoking - not sure what the rules are on that

Same rules apply to vaping as they do to smoking, but many Vapers disregard, likely either due to a)not knowing the rules or b) knowing the rules but disregarding because vape "smoke" tends to be ordor-less and less likelihood of getting caught.

You know, I should clarify. To be fair, the TM'S weren't rude. That's not fair of me to say. Some just seemed apathetic and bored. The type you'd expect to see at Six Flags. That's not to say you don't see it at Disney too, because you certainly do. Here's the best way I can explain it:

One day leaving IoA, we stopped at the candy shop to grab a couple things. TM rang us up and I showed her my AP like I always do. She got all flustered and said "Ugh, you are supposed to show me that before I ring you up." Not so. Everything we've ever bought at a Universal store, the TM just scans our pass after ringing the sale up. If we're doing something wrong, nobody has ever said a word to us. It's those types of things that stand out. Another TM, we actually saw 2 different nights working the photo station at the Mummy exit. Both nights she looked like she was falling asleep, slouched over, holding her chin up in her hand, lazily repeating "Ride photos over here." Is it a big deal? No. But it's just not the type of attitude we're used to at Universal.

Been a few years since we stayed @ HRH but did find the staff we encountered (with the exception of The Palms and pool bar staff); primarily the checkin area ones, to be affecting just a bit too much of the hipster, cool for school attitude. Maybe they were told to project that air? No matter the hotel theming, there is a certain level of expectations as to staff demeanor at a deluxe hotel. Have stayed at many ‘hip’ properties in Vegas and service received has always professional

That said, we do enjoy the property and they surely are popular, evidenced by their pricing structure. Now that youfirst program is no more, will give them another whirl.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. While there are absolutes in life, I do think it’s a bit unfair to stereotype all Six Flags staff as apathetic and bored.

Last edited:
The vaping I didn't bring up as there were so many people doing it, I assumed it was allowed. If it's not allowed, then wow - Universal has NO intention of enforcing that rule.

Same rules apply to vaping as they do to smoking, but many Vapers disregard, likely either due to a)not knowing the rules or b) knowing the rules but disregarding because vape "smoke" tends to be ordor-less and less likelihood of getting caught.

It was vapers that TM we’re removing from lines at HHN last year.........

When I use the word smokers I mean smokers and vapers!

Honestly, they can be an issue when they try to disregard the rules, but we saw them time after time insist on them stopping or leaving the line.

We just got back from 6 nights over New Year's. We had an amazing time and fortunately didn't experience any big negatives to complain about except the crowds and we were expecting them. We didn't have the best service at Mythos and the food was not as good as normal and I won't go back to Toothsome. Both times the food has been cold and barely above average and they don't seem to care when we've politely complained. Neither time the restaurant was busy so there really wasn't an excuse.

The service at the Hard Rock was as amazing as always from the front desk staff to the bellman to the pool service and bar. The bar staff remembered us from Thanksgiving 2017 even down to what my husband drinks.

Anyway I hate that you have some bumps in your trip. It doesn't seem like it totally ruined it for you though you have a good attitude about it. We just go annual passes for the first time and can't wait to go back.

We just got back from 6 nights over New Year's. We had an amazing time and fortunately didn't experience any big negatives to complain about except the crowds and we were expecting them. We didn't have the best service at Mythos and the food was not as good as normal and I won't go back to Toothsome. Both times the food has been cold and barely above average and they don't seem to care when we've politely complained. Neither time the restaurant was busy so there really wasn't an excuse.

The service at the Hard Rock was as amazing as always from the front desk staff to the bellman to the pool service and bar. The bar staff remembered us from Thanksgiving 2017 even down to what my husband drinks.

Anyway I hate that you have some bumps in your trip. It doesn't seem like it totally ruined it for you though you have a good attitude about it. We just go annual passes for the first time and can't wait to go back.

I love Mythos. We ate there 3 times this trip. Always have good food and service. Toothsome is crap. Great concept, garbage execution. Food isn't very good. And you're right. They don't seem to care in the least.

Hard Rock could be the best hotel in Orlando. Excellent service, food, employees. The only negative is the music played, for the most part, is not hard rock. Was speaking to an employee at the Rock Shop and he said he heard that a lot. Apparently the CEO or someone ordered a change in the music at the hotels and restaurants a few years back. Too bad.

Universal has PLENTY of smoking spots. Compared to Disney, it's a smoker's paradise. (And I'm a smoker.)

There is no reason for anyone to be smoking or vaping in another area, when there's always a smoking spot nearby. At the Magic Kingdom, for comparison, there is one smoking spot near Big Thunder Mountain (faaaaaar left in the park) and one on the trail between the carnival area and Tomorrowland (faaaaar right in the park), and another one, way outside the front gates, outside security, and consists of a single bench in the blazing sun. I can honestly see people just giving up and smoking willy nilly at the Magic Kingdom (and by extension, the other Disney parks), not that the lack of smoking sections excuses it.

Universal has shady spots, tucked away. Shame on anyone who doesn't comply!

Like some of the others are saying we have always had good experiences with the TM's at Universal.

Our last trip which was for 12 nights Dec. 2017 both myself and my wife felt they had really kicked it up a notch. I thought maybe it was just me, but when I asked my wife she felt the same way. It felt like Universal had made a conscious effort to have extra training for their staff. This was resort wide, Royal Pacific, parks, and restaurants.

We had the same experience. If the wait is less than 30 minutes, they won't honor priority seating.
We were told the wait had to be an hour or more. It sounds like they are all just making up whatever rules they want to fit the situation. What used to be a great and I'd expect way under-used benefit, has seemingly gone away.

I am here this week and so far have had a great time. My only complaint is the single rider lines and how they are enforced. Almost everyone I was in had a family that weren't single riders. I wish people wouldn't abuse it so others that are single riders can use as it was intended .

Single rider lines are meant to be used by anyone who wishes to ride single, and doesn't necessarily need to be seated next to family members.

Are you suggesting that it's only meant for people who came to the parks solo? That would be a very small percentage. Families who are willing to split up are entitled and encouraged to use single rider lines!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter