Some thoughts on our food experiences from our July 12-19 trip

sbrost13

Mouseketeer
We just got back yesterday from our 8-day trip. A little background: we're a family of 4 that consists of me, DH, DD12, & DS9, stayed at Coronado Springs and did NOT do the dining plan but had my Disney Visa Rewards card with $1200 on it.

Our Disney Visa Rewards card paid for the majority of our food- basically from lunch Wednesday though lunch Monday so that was fabulous! Here's a basic rundown of our meals and our thoughts.

Definite Favorites of the entire family
Chef Art Smith's Homecomin- I had high expectations going in and it lived up to them! Can't say enough about how delicious it was! Loved the deviled eggs, fried chicken and doughnuts, and mashed potatoes.

Maya Grill- this was the sleeper of our trip because it was so unexpectedly delicious and it was a total last. minute reservation. The guacamole, queso fundido, shrimp tacos and steak fajitas skillet were to die for!!!

Santuuli Canteen (sp?)- loved the steak bowl with potatoes hash and creamy dressing, DH liked his bowl with steak, rice and chimmichurri sauce. Really liked that they offered non-traditional quick service options.

French bakery in EPCOT- we went there twice and I think I could eat there every day! Our favorites were the quiche, croissant sandwiches, creme brûlée, macaroons, and strawberry tart.

Carrot Cake Cookie- this was everyone's favorite snack!! I had 2 of them during the trip and could've had more!

Half of us loved it, half of us thought it was good but not great
Tusker House- good character interaction and we had a 10:35 reservation so we got both breakfast and lunch. Some of my family didn't care for some of the seasonings/spices that some of the dishes had, but I was surprised by how much I liked the lunch offerings. I didn't appreciate the waitress trying to rush us out of there after we met all the characters.

Chef Mickey's- this is one that is a tradition for us and we always love the characters! DH was obsessed with the carved meat this time- I think it was prime rib. Some of the offerings were a little underwhelming but nothing was too bad.

Akershus- my daughter loved interacting with the princesses, even though she's 12, and we all were surprised by how much we enjoyed the salad/appetizer bar. I definitely misordered and was underwhelmed by the seafood dish. But DH was happy with the meatballs and mashed potatoes.

Siestas (quick service by CSR main pool)- the bar has fantastic adult beverages and the cheese empanadas and carnitas tacos were excellent.

Disappointing
Columbia Harbor House- was really disappointed, chicken pot pie and lobster roll just didn't taste well overall. Not much else to say...

Quick Service in China at EPCOT- we only went here because DH was starving. In hindsight I should have made him go somewhere else. Panda Express actually tastes better.

Overall we were very pleased with the food and very glad we weren't tied to the dining plan. My DD and I also had a total of 4 dole whips throughout the trip, but wish we had more!!

We also loved Homecoming, booked it again for this trip.
And carrot cake cookie is our fave snack as well :)

I actually like Columbia Harbour House. It was my sleeper hit from my last trip. I hope the quality didn't go down there.

And as for Lotus Blossom Cafe, OUCH.

Tusker House- good character interaction and we had a 10:35 reservation so we got both breakfast and lunch. Some of my family didn't care for some of the seasonings/spices that some of the dishes had, but I was surprised by how much I liked the lunch offerings. I didn't appreciate the waitress trying to rush us out of there after we met all the characters.

We have a TH reservation at same time. Do they bring breakfast out up until 11 and then lunch only? My kids prefer breakfast so will they be out if luck if end up wanting seconds? Also about how long were you there for the meal? Thanks!!

We have a TH reservation at same time. Do they bring breakfast out up until 11 and then lunch only? My kids prefer breakfast so will they be out if luck if end up wanting seconds? Also about how long were you there for the meal? Thanks!!

They do start putting out the lunch offerings at 11:00, however, they will move a lot of the breakfast stuff to the middle of the buffet room, so they'll still be able to get breakfast food after 11:00.

We took our sweet time eating because it was crazy hot outside and we didn't have a fastpass until 11:45, so we left around 12:00. We were done seeing the characters within 40 minutes of being seated, but I wanted to stay and enjoy the food.

Did you spend th $1200 for 8 days x 4 people x 2-3 meals per day? DH and I had a dining plan in July for convenience and we had the $. I wonder how much we would spend if we were more budget minded.

Where can you get the carrot cake cookie? I really want to try this now!!

Half of us loved it, half of us thought it was good but not great

Akershus- my daughter loved interacting with the princesses, even though she's 12, and we all were surprised by how much we enjoyed the salad/appetizer bar. I definitely misordered and was underwhelmed by the seafood dish. But DH was happy with the meatballs and mashed potatoes.

We have a late TH breakfast coming up in 2 weeks - hoping to snag some lunch, too. Sorry they rushed you out (or tried to.) Lame.

And, the thing I loved most at Akershus was the cold bar - YUM! Wish that was available as an option for the meal.

Did you spend th $1200 for 8 days x 4 people x 2-3 meals per day? DH and I had a dining plan in July for convenience and we had the $. I wonder how much we would spend if we were more budget minded.

Here's what we used our rewards card for, keep in mind for the buffets we were 3 adults and 1 child.

Santuuli Canteen lunch
Pepper Market dinner (food court at CSR)
Breakfast at French bakery in EPCOT
Akershus lunch
Columbia Harbour House dinner
Breakfast snacks Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday
Be Our Guest lunch
Siestas dinner (quick service at CSR pool) & 2 adult beverages
Lunch at Typhoon Lagoon
Homecomin dinner
Dessert at Ghiardelli Soda fountain
Siestas lunch
Snacks at China quick service- it was terrible!
Snacks at French Bakery
Tusker House breakfast
Chef Mickey's dinner
And a few snacks here and there throughout the first 5 days of the trip

We also used the card for the tips at all the table service places.

Not according to the map of Hollywood Studios, I just double checked to make sure. It's next to Hollywood Brown Derby.
Curious. It did close. Must have reopened. I wasn't aware. It's not showing on the app on the list of restaurants at HS. Goes from Sci-Fi to The Trolley Car Cafe, no Starring Rolls

Curious. It did close. Must have reopened. I wasn't aware. It's not showing on the app on the list of restaurants at HS. Goes from Sci-Fi to The Trolley Car Cafe, no Starring Rolls

I noticed that too, so I checked the map feature on the app and it was on there. The name in the park may be different, but it's definitely next to Hollywood Brown Derby so it'll be easy to find. My daughter had some red velvet whoopie pie thing and it was delicious too! They've got some delicious snacks there!

I wonder when it reopened?
I am 99% sure it wasn't opened when we were there last month. I didn't look closely but I know I didn't see anyone going in or out and no one seated over there. DH commented that he was shocked nothing had gone back in there yet.
If there was an announcement made here, or on any other blog site I didn't see it. That doesn't mean much, I miss lots but this is a big one and I'd think I'd have seen it.
No matter, glad to see it opened as HS did need it back

I wonder when it reopened?
I am 99% sure it wasn't opened when we were there last month.

When we were there in June it definitely was still closed. Just now I couldn't find any info on it reopening, but I would love to hear this. It was one of my favorite places for a quick lunch.

A trip advisor review from April of 2017 says they found the carrot cake cookie at the Beverly Sunset Sweet Spells Shop which would be right by the old Starring Rolls location. :confused3

Last edited:
When we were there in June it definitely was still closed. Just now I couldn't find any info on it reopening, but I would love to hear this. It was one of my favorite places for a quick lunch.

A trip advisor review from April of 2017 says they found the carrot cake cookie at the Beverly Sunset Sweet Spells Shop which would be right by the old Starring Rolls location. :confused3

Maybe that's what it's called. It was connected to a small souvenir shop. We sat at some tables outside next to Brown Derby. It was located next to/behind the fastpass kiosks at the main intersection of the park on Hollywood and Sunset Boulevard (it's also across the street from the Starbucks).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter