Some Random Newbie Questions

Scarlet_J

Mouseketeer
Just some things I've been wondering about. Hopefully, they don't seem too silly. I did cruise once many years ago, but I don't really remember certain details and it was pre-kids so very different.

1) Do we have to take our passports with us when we get off at Castaway Cay? Or is it considered an extension of the ship?
2) On the Passport subject, how do you keep it safe when getting off at port? We have an excursion booked at Nassau where we are getting on a boat for snorkeling, and then they take us to a beach area (official DCL excursion). I guess just keep it in a bag and keep an eye on it? But what if we all want to be in the water together?
3) When we do go on the excursion mentioned previously at Nassau, should we bring towels from the ship? Or do they usually have them?
4) Do bookings for the golf simulator generally open up? I was so concerned about the kids and kids club bookings that I didn't even look at it. My husband saw it and wants to do it. I feel really bad I didn't think of it for him earlier. Should I visit guest services as soon as we board?

Just some things I've been wondering about. Hopefully, they don't seem too silly. I did cruise once many years ago, but I don't really remember certain details and it was pre-kids so very different.

1) Do we have to take our passports with us when we get off at Castaway Cay? Or is it considered an extension of the ship? To reboard the ship you must have your ship's ID and a government issued photo ID to show. For US citizens that could be a driver's license. Or a passport.
2) On the Passport subject, how do you keep it safe when getting off at port? We have an excursion booked at Nassau where we are getting on a boat for snorkeling, and then they take us to a beach area (official DCL excursion). I guess just keep it in a bag and keep an eye on it? But what if we all want to be in the water together? Not all ports require a passport to actually be carried, so a driver's license may suffice. When we've snorkeled, all our stuff is on the boat, and I check when we get back onboard that everything is still there (meaning, if it's gone, it's someone on the excursion or crew that took it). On the beach, we tend to take turns in the water.
3) When we do go on the excursion mentioned previously at Nassau, should we bring towels from the ship? Or do they usually have them? I always take a couple of the DCL towels. Just remember to bring them back to the ship. DCL is about the only cruise line that doesn't charge for towels.
4) Do bookings for the golf simulator generally open up? I was so concerned about the kids and kids club bookings that I didn't even look at it. My husband saw it and wants to do it. I feel really bad I didn't think of it for him earlier. Should I visit guest services as soon as we board?
My answers in red.

1. For Castaway I bring my ID (drivers license) and my cabin card. I've never brought my passport.
2. I have never taken mine off the ship. I put it in the safe as soon as we get to our room and that's where it stays until we leave the cruise. Is there a reason you need to take them? (I haven't sailed during covid so maybe its something new?
3. Do not bring towels from your room. "On DCL sponsored excursions, the cruise desk people will provide towels at the meeting place. On private excursions, you are welcome to take pool towels--there will be a return bin before you board the ship. They do ask that you take the pool towels, not the nicer stateroom towels."
4. Sometimes but those seem to be like one of the first things (after Cabanas) that are always booked solid. All you can do is keep checking the website and then possibly ask when onboard if you didn't find an opening.

2. I have never taken mine off the ship. I put it in the safe as soon as we get to our room and that's where it stays until we leave the cruise. Is there a reason you need to take them? (I haven't sailed during covid so maybe its something new?
But don't you have to go through some kind of check when you get off at another country? Like when we get off in the Bahamas, don't we need to show it?

But don't you have to go through some kind of check when you get off at another country? Like when we get off in the Bahamas, don't we need to show it?

You go through a small check to leave the port and you show your ID (I use my Canadian drivers license) and your cruise card. They confirm the names match. I've never taken my passport and I've been on 6 cruises. Never needed it at any port. They look at the same stuff to let you back into the port.

You go through a small check to leave the port and you show your ID (I use my Canadian drivers license) and your cruise card. They confirm the names match. I've never taken my passport and I've been on 6 cruises. Never needed it at any port. They look at the same stuff to let you back into the port.
What about kids? They don't have any other ID.

It actually depends on the cruise destination. I believe Caribbean and Bahamas are like you said. We did a European cruise and had our passports with us on excursions--the old paper navigators used to tell you which ports required passports to be with you. We also needed them for a port in Alaska as our excursion went to Yukon territory in Canada and border control checked everyone.

It actually depends on the cruise destination. I believe Caribbean and Bahamas are like you said. We did a European cruise and had our passports with us on excursions--the old paper navigators used to tell you which ports required passports to be with you. We also needed them for a port in Alaska as our excursion went to Yukon territory in Canada and border control checked everyone.
Good to know. I've only ever done Caribbean or Bahamas cruises. Have never needed passport for those.

I have a passport card for just this purpose. I still take my passport books with me on the cruise, in case there's some kind of emergency where I need to fly home, but in terms of carrying something off the ship for excursions, we take the passport cards instead and leave the books in the room.

I have a passport card for just this purpose. I still take my passport books with me on the cruise, in case there's some kind of emergency where I need to fly home, but in terms of carrying something off the ship for excursions, we take the passport cards instead and leave the books in the room.

Keep in mind that passport cards only work for certain places, though. You can use it in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. It won't work for European cruises.

Keep in mind that passport cards only work for certain places, though. You can use it in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. It won't work for European cruises.
I'd have to fly to Europe to get on a European cruise, so I'd need my book to get there anyways.

Good to know. I've only ever done Caribbean or Bahamas cruises. Have never needed passport for those.
We have always taken our Passports with us when we leave the ship in foreign ports in the Caribbean. You get sick or have another emergency, you Passport is useless to you back on the ship.

We have always taken our Passports with us when we leave the ship in foreign ports in the Caribbean. You get sick or have another emergency, you Passport is useless to you back on the ship.
I'd rather not risk losing them (or having them thefted) than the extremely low chance of having an emergency in port.

I'd have to fly to Europe to get on a European cruise, so I'd need my book to get there anyways.

Sure, I just meant that the card couldn't be used when leaving the ship on a European cruise. Many people leave the book in a bag or the safe and take the card with them for port adventures on Caribbean and Bahamas cruises.

I'd rather not risk losing them (or having them thefted) than the extremely low chance of having an emergency in port.
See, I am more concerned about the emergency or getting thumped over the head during a robbery in port. Your Passport is useless to a thief.

See, I am more concerned about the emergency or getting thumped over the head during a robbery in port. Your Passport is useless to a thief.
I have no idea what the statistics say, but my gut tells me that "losing your passport" is much more common than "getting mugged so bad that it creates a medical emergency that requires you to fly back to the United States."

I have no idea what the statistics say, but my gut tells me that "losing your passport" is much more common than "getting mugged so bad that it creates a medical emergency that requires you to fly back to the United States."
Basic Travel 101 is you always have your Passport with you in a foreign country.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter