Some people on the Disney boards

I am fine with people preferring disney. Keeps UO crowds down.

Something that does tick me off a bit is the ones that come on here saying they are going to take a day out of disney and do universal for the HP stuff.

To me it is kind of like me saying we like Cinderella and only want to do stuff centered around the castle. Disney people would be like, but, but, but, there is so much more to disney. I feel the same way when they declare they are not interested in anything but HP. There is so much more to universal than just HP.

HP is nice and they put the big bucks into the whole area, and I like it, but it is not the only reason I like universal.

I have been going to UO since the first year they opened and I have to say, it was pretty pitiful back then, but I have only been to disney for 31 years so it could have been pitiful at first too.

Harry Potter of course isn't all that Univ/IoA offers, but saying you want to do Universal for HP is like saying you just want to go to Magic Kingdom and not the rest of the parks. I usually go to Universal once a year and during the day (HHN at night) it's heavily centered around HP as that's our favorite section. We don't do a lot of the other rides. We've thought about getting AP's just because of the HP addition to the parks. AP's wouldn't have been a thought prior. So the magic of HP is a very big draw and they've done excellent work at providing a bunch of activities for those sections

are real snobs. There is a thread right now asking if Disney needs more coasters and one poster answered that he/she doesn't want to attract "Universal/Six Flags types". That remark really hit me wrong - like fans of Universal are second class or something.
That particular poster is a bit of a pot stirrer.

but I always think of Universal as more for teens vs Disney as more for families. Disney seems a little more wholesome when I consider Main Street USA vs the Simpson's Springfield USA. Could that poster have been referring to "Universal/6 Flags types" as older thrill seekers vs the more family-centric crowds at Disney?

*families with typically younger children.

Respectfully, "families" can have older children, or no children at all. Families, in my opinion, need not even be related/wed.

Pax

(Hey Mac Et Al.!!)

*families with typically younger children.

Respectfully, "families" can have older children, or no children at all. Families, in my opinion, need not even be related/wed.

Pax

(Hey Mac Et Al.!!)

Glad to see “my family” posting here!
Squeeze me into your schedule this year

Hang out at Duff’s with you, Dora and Marco?

Glad to see “my family” posting here!
Squeeze me into your schedule this year

Hang out at Duff’s with you, Dora and Marco?

Not if Marco is gonna be there. That dude is trouble.

Kidding!!

Always room for you Mac! First round is on me. We're, as per usual, there every Sunday. I can't wait!!! You doing a full trip again this year? Didn't see you in any of the date threads (I know... me either... but you know I'm a professional lurker).

Pax

They are not old enough to watch The Mummy, Harry Potter, Transformers, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Spider Man, Men in Black, the Hulk, etc. so they won't get as much out of it.

I don't think you necessarily need to watch the movies to enjoy the parks.

I’ve never read. Potter books or watch the movies

Found it easy to do potter rides and stores without it being lost on me

The rides were kewl!

Our family loves our trips to Universal and Disney: since our first 9 day stint at the Hard Rock (the year Diagon Alley opened), we don't do one without the other.

Our next trip will be our forth to the DarkSide. I will admit, we do spend more time (during our trips) at Disney than we do at Universal: there's just more to see / it's harder to get around all of the Disney Parks - it's not a knock, it's reality.

I get the whole "love of all things Disney" snobbery sentiment ... it's quite ridiculous. I'm inferring, but the mindset with some posters seems to be that to praise Universal is equivalent to cheating on your spouse (or something to that effect :duck:) ... which is just silly.

There is both good and bad with both experiences.

I will say, I wish Disney did have more intense "adult" rides - like Tower of Terror, etc. It does need more of that IMO. Hopefully TRON, Guardians, and all things Star Wars address that.

Anyway ... very much HOPING/PRAYING to the theme park gods :worship: that the new HP ride will up and running when we make our next stint.

It's Ok to love both Disney and Universal - we do - and lightning hasn't struck us (even once!). :P:D

I went to read that thread. Oh my gosh, when someone commented that Disney has higher quality people compared to 6 Flags (and maybe Universal) because it cost more, my head near exploded. Someone called that out by sharing their thoughts on rich, entitled people. Gotta love it.

Interesting thread...We do both Disney and Universal and enjoy both for what they have to offer. Going over NYE and looking forward to taking DS5 who is tall enough to ride much more this year at Universal!

Hi wow is all I can say how some posters feel! I visit Disney, Universal and have been a pass holder for six flags for 10 years. I have never seen any different people in any of the parks. There are singles, couples, and families of all races and income background in all of them. One day that way of thinking (people are better than others and beneath them) can get you into trouble or left out of something good happening.

The past few years we have done Universal exclusively over Disney and the main reasons are the ride choices and the fast paced of touring. We are older now with teens who like more thrill rides, as do we. I love the slow pace and less planning Universal offers. I think the Universal resorts are amazing and all the associates are great. I get a warm home type feeling when I am there. This doesn't mean Disney is bad, it's just a different type of vacation.

The moderator and posters on this Universal are some of the most friendliest, knowledgeable and helpful posters I know! I am proud to be a Dis poster and enjoy sharing my love and knowledge of Universal.

Oh, a lot of it is people's perception.

I saw a show where the people had a stand set up outside the grocery store. They had a popular brand of something and the store brand of the same product and were doing blind taste testings. Most of the people were choosing the store brand or saying there was no difference.

They then pointed out the store brand was $1 cheaper and the people would ohh and ahh over that for a min, then the people doing the experience would ask if they were going to buy the store brand from now on, and most of the people said no. The reasons varied from I don't think my family would enjoy it as much to my favorite reason given. Those people said they could not be seen with the store brand product in their shopping cart. So a product you have just said tasted better and is a dollar cheaper you will not buy because of image.

Somehow, I missed that gene. When I go on vacation, I go by what I like the best and does whatever I am spending money on enhance my vacation. It doesn't matter if it is disney, universal, six flags, or delta village.

My sister was doing the old switcharoo on my brotherinlaw and had been buying store brand cereal and would put it in the name brand box. One morning he came and asked her if the cereal was ok. She said yeah, I just bought it last week, why? He said the date on the box had expired 2 years ago. Busted.

But this disney/universal thing is nothing compared to cruising. Carnival vs just about every other cruise line. I have been on a ton of cruises, and been on most lines. Carnival is fine. But a lot of people want to call it the walmart of the seas. Good value, good food, fun activities, goes to where I want to go, sails year round from my home port, what more could I want? But I have family that will fly to cruise on another line because they can not tell anyone they went on carnival. Sometimes if they ask if I have a cruise booked and I say yeah, they will ask who I am going with and I get a you will enjoy that to every cruise line except carnival. If I say carnival, you can see in their eyes, that oh no, look. I try to think of them while on my carnival cruise and smile.

Every time I go to Universal I feel more and more love for it. Last time when we walked in, there was a red carpet for guests to walk down and the team members cheered and high-fived us for no reason whatsoever other than to make us feel special and happy. I really feel like Universal wants our business. (I feel like Disney could take us or leave us.) And I love the low-key Universal community. We became annual passholders last summer and have become addicted to the parks. Friends and colleagues ask us what we are doing for the long weekend and we respond "we are going to hide painted rocks at Universal" and they look at us like we're nuts. It's great.

I would actually argue that UO has better themed lands and areas for little ones.
Where at WDW can you find a playground as big as the one in Jurassic park? A land dedicated to little ones like Seuss Landing? A playground with a water slide like Fievel? An entire splash area like Curious George?
Sure attraction-wise WDW has the upper hand but I have taken my kids when they were little and now my niece and nephews and they do not want to leave the areas I mentioned above

On my last trip with my 5 year old son, I loved Universal and WDW equally.

Planning this return visit 5 years later, I must admit I’m feeling a bit disillusioned by WDW. Everything has become so much more expensive and the crowds seem to have increased exponentially. Plus there are countless paid extras to help you avoid certain aspects of the crowds, but nothing as all encompassing and affordable (IMO) as express passes.

Meanwhile, planning Universal has been a breeze. With my hotel express passes now covering the HP rides, I don’t even feel the need to put together commando-style plans for the first few hours of my Universal days.

At the end of the day, I’m really looking forward to both WDW and Universal, but I’m quietly pleased that there are WDW pureists out there that dislike Universal (whether misguided or not).
I would hate to see Universal become so popular that it required the planning and expense of Disney. :sad2:

And you think making a thread is a constructive way to deal with it, OP? Old Lady is a known pot stirrer, you're giving her exactly what she wants.

You can talk about universal and Disney in the thread

No more name droppings

End of that discussion
as we are not talking about people but parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter