Some Ipad questions.

yeahdisney

DIS Veteran
We are saving for an Ipad. We do have a mi-fi 2 gb monthly limit. We do not live by anyone with wi-fi. Closest free hot spot would be Barnes and Noble 35 minutes away. I saw Best buy has generation 2 16gb starting $449 this week.

What Ipad would be best for us, memory? I just called Apple, the salesman was just so UNhelpful.

I like to surf the net around 1-2 hrs 5 times a week. DD and DS each like to play one game couple times a week. I would like to take the Ipad on vacation with us, can we use it as a GPS? DS would like to down load applications-angry birds and such. We would maybe download couple books and would on occasion have a movie to watch/rent (is this feasable?). DH I'm sure would check the weather and markets.

In future, I think the kids might type the occasional paper on it for school, I know would need a wireless printer to print the finished product. We have one ipod so some music would be on both, and in the future one kiddo will get ipod touch so we could web talk?. TIA for all your answers. D

16 is too small 32 will suit your needs but 64 is imho the way to go if you can afford it. It can fill up fast and one movie can be 1-3GB plus. The games are rather small usualy 300MB-1GB unless it is a more intense game.

Ipad3 will come out soon and the Ipad 2 models will most likely be discounted around 100$ or 200$ if they are refurbished direct from apple once Ipad3 comes out. I would defiantly wait for that before I purchased.

Hmm from reading your post, there seems to be some basics that needs to be covered.

You mentioned you have mi-fi that has a 2gb monthly limit, is this what you use for internet primarily now? Are you maxing out on those 2 gigs or coming real close monthly? Because having an iPad will add to your data consumption. You may want to consider increasing your data allowance or buying any iPad with 3G wireless that you can pay for separately. Looking on Bestbuy, they have a 16 gb memory with 3G and WiFi for $629.99

If you don't have a ton of movies, music, etc that you would like to transfer onto your iPad then you probably won't need that much memory. But most people will recommend getting at least the 32gb just in case since you can't add memory later.

You can use the iPad as a GPS with your mi fi (if you go with wifi only version), but remember it's going to gobble up your data allowance. Downloading apps and movies will also use data, but once they're downloaded you can play/watch as much as you want.

Not sure I would agree with the possibility of using the iPad for writing papers. 1. you would need to download an app that would function like a Word program since the iPad doesn't come with any 2. The on screen keyboard is not conducive to typing long papers. You could get an accessory keyboard if you had your hopes set on using it that way.

My answers below:

We are saving for an Ipad. We do have a mi-fi 2 gb monthly limit. We do not live by anyone with wi-fi. Closest free hot spot would be Barnes and Noble 35 minutes away. I saw Best buy has generation 2 16gb starting $449 this week.

My Mother has a limit also until the hours of 11pm to 4 am. Through Hughes Net they have a little tracker, to keep track of their usage.

What Ipad would be best for us, memory? I just called Apple, the salesman was just so UNhelpful.

Wi-Fi only = needs to have wi-fi available from a wireless router.

Wi-Fi and 3G = could do eitheir wi-fi from routers or 3G from a telephone provider.

Something to consider: most movies, songs, and pictures take a lot of space... I could fill up 16Gb with just 4 movies.

I like to surf the net around 1-2 hrs 5 times a week. DD and DS each like to play one game couple times a week. I would like to take the Ipad on vacation with us, can we use it as a GPS? DS would like to down load applications-angry birds and such. We would maybe download couple books and would on occasion have a movie to watch/rent (is this feasable?). DH I'm sure would check the weather and markets.

Surfing Checking weather, markets= Will use your Wi-Fi allowance or require 3G on the road, unless you are at a wi-fi hot spot like Starbucks.

Games = Once downloaded like Apps certain ones will require the internet as that is how they are provided for free (Ex: Scrabble HD Free Edition), but other games once purchased are yours to play with or without Internet. (Ex Catan)

Books: Require no internet once downloaded. Nice thing about Ipad is you can read PDF's without converting them. There are tons of free out of copyright books like Alice in Wonderland.

GPS: Will require 3G... unless you have some form of a mobile wi-fi hot spot.

Movies: Netflix, and Hulu will require internet. Movies purchased through Itunes can be view anytime after download.

In future, I think the kids might type the occasional paper on it for school, I know would need a wireless printer to print the finished product.

I am a graduate student and would not recomend the ipad for writing. At this time, printing from the Ipad is difficult. Google Print from Ipad and you will see a variety of different methods... none easy. If you require a typing word processor, look into a netbook... roughly about 300 and put on it OpenOffice for free. (Open Office = Microsoft Office)

We have one ipod so some music would be on both, and in the future one kiddo will get ipod touch so we could web talk?. TIA for all your answers.

Any Apple Product with a camera (Ipad 2, Ipod Touch) can be used to Skype (Talk online, but it will require internet)
D

Without a doubt.... I love my Ipad, but I do not have limitations on Wi-Fi usage, and use it mostly for reading my romance novels and sci-fi books.

Good Luck.

Hmm from reading your post, there seems to be some basics that needs to be covered.

You mentioned you have mi-fi that has a 2gb monthly limit, is this what you use for internet primarily now? Are you maxing out on those 2 gigs or coming real close monthly? Because having an iPad will add to your data consumption. You may want to consider increasing your data allowance or buying any iPad with 3G wireless that you can pay for separately. Looking on Bestbuy, they have a 16 gb memory with 3G and WiFi for $629.99

If you don't have a ton of movies, music, etc that you would like to transfer onto your iPad then you probably won't need that much memory. But most people will recommend getting at least the 32gb just in case since you can't add memory later.

You can use the iPad as a GPS with your mi fi (if you go with wifi only version), but remember it's going to gobble up your data allowance. Downloading apps and movies will also use data, but once they're downloaded you can play/watch as much as you want.

Not sure I would agree with the possibility of using the iPad for writing papers. 1. you would need to download an app that would function like a Word program since the iPad doesn't come with any 2. The on screen keyboard is not conducive to typing long papers. You could get an accessory keyboard if you had your hopes set on using it that way.

I agree that a word processing app will be needed. I did a good portion of a college paper on my iPad in Notes, but then emailed it to my computer to finish. Pages from Apple is only $10. There is also a strong rumor that Microsoft Office for iPad will be introduced soon, possible March 7, but the cost is unknown at this time.

The good thing is that apps tend to be much cheaper than applications for a computer. Who knew that it was the "lication" that made it so expensive.

Those who use the iPad as their only computer almost all have keyboards attached.

We have the 3G and use it all the time, like when our power was out this morning. With 3G, you can use it as a gps, as long as the co-pilot is doing the navigating. -- Suzanne

I would be concerned more about the 2GB data allowance with your mi-fi. We have mi-fi with Verizon Wireless. Between the desktop computer and the iPad, we use almost all of our 10GB monthly usage allowance. One month we had to pay for another GB, because our niece decided she was going to Skype at our house even though we told her not to.

Thanks for your answers. More info and questions. We use aroung 1 gb a month currently. I was thinking about getting a keyboard. I don't want the kids to write entire papers. We are normally 45 minutes one way from town, and if we were at ortho appt, one kid could start research and make notes until we got home to another computer, but not apple so I am not sure how that works. Could I download a movie when I went into town using free wifi usage from Barnes and Noble or starbucks then watch it home later without using minutes? I normally don't buy myself movies only rent. I would not normally use it as a GPS maybe 1-2 times a year.

I will call verizon and ask how much the next minute package cost. Thanks again. D

I can't answer your question about your mi-fi but it sounds like it may not cut it.

The 16gb iPad will be too small. I always recommend buying the largest size if it is something you will keep until it breaks. The 32gb will likely be fine for you, but the 64gb is the best, so you don't have to worry about clearing stuff off to make sure you have room for something else.

You can rent and download movies via wi-fi, even at Barnes & Noble maybe, but when I rented a movie at my home using our own wi-fi, it took 30-40 minutes to download so I would expect it to take much longer at a business. I tried renting a movie in my room at CSR at Disney but it wouldn't work, I think it was so slow it kept timing out.

You can't use the iPad for gps unless you get the 3G iPad version, which also requires a monthly data package from a wireless carrier. Not worth it.

You may want to look into getting "real" Internet at home, like Cable/DSL and dropping the mi-fi, whatever that is. 2gb per month limit is hardly anything when you're whole family is using the Internet, downloading rental movies, watching shows online with the iPad, etc. You would likely go way over.

I have a mi fi and get 5gb a month for 50.00 bucks. I own an ipad2 and have some games on it (angry birdsx3 versions) and some music from cd's. I personally would look into either upgrading your mifi data pkg, or getting ipad with 3G in it but than you pay extra for service thru verzion or Sprint and it almost seems crazy to have that and mifi too.

I have a 32GB, WiFi + 3G iPad 2.

I also have an iPhone 4S, which of course uses 3G (or 4G, depending on location) data.

Both devices are through AT&T. I have the 2GB data package on my iPad and the 3GB data package on my iPhone. With WiFi in the house, I haven't even come close to hitting the 2GB maximum on my iPad, but have come dangerously close to 3GB with my iPhone. I use my iPhone for web browsing, games, streaming music, etc., when I'm on the road, so that's primarily why the data runs out so fast.

With only 2GB Mi-Fi in your house, I would recommend getting the 3G iPad. If you sign up through Verizon, I know you can get up to 10GB/month, but it is costly. I would recommend starting out at 2GB/month 3G, and increase/decrease as you see fit. Make sure your iPad's WiFi is turned on at all times so it can latch on and use that signal in lieu of 3G, which it does automatically.

I think my 32GB iPad 2 was $729. Yes, it is costly, but well worth it my opinion. I would also recommend checking out the MacBook Air. It starts at $999, but may be worth it if you bring it around often to browse the web and play games.

Anyway, I would really recommend getting the 32 or 64GB iPad. I have the 16GB iPhone and it is always full. My iPad is almost full as well.

Hope that helps!

Now is the worst time to go out and buy an iPad 2. DO NOT purchase one for a couple more weeks at least. Apple is supposed to announce their release date of the iPad 3 on March 7th -- which might actually be the day that stores can start doing pre-orders and then the machines come in a week or 2 later. Once pre-orders start happening (probably on March 7th or right after that), the price of the iPad 2 will drop by at least $100.00. You may want an iPad 3 anyway. They will have much better resolution, a faster processor, and better camera.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/want-an-ipad-3--sell-your-ipad-2-now.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter