Some first time cruiser questions

1. We're looking at booking our September 2015 cruise soon, when do we need to get insurance if we plan on using Travelex?

2. My mom is worried about getting sea sick, is it best to have a room with no windows, a porthole, or a verandah?

3. Does ground transportation to/from WDW go to all the Disney resorts? We're staying at a Disney resort for the first night of the whole trip, before the cruise, and we'd like to stay at SSR so we can just go to DTD that night.

4. Is there a way for a party of two to not have to sit with other people while dining? My mom is kind of unsocial and I don't like to talk much when I eat so the idea of sitting with strangers is really not good for us.

5. For the Dream, the fireworks from Castaway Cay can be seen from the starboard side, correct?

1. We're looking at booking our September 2015 cruise soon, when do we need to get insurance if we plan on using Travelex? I never purchase cruise insurance. Maybe someone else can answer this question for you.

2. My mom is worried about getting sea sick, is it best to have a room with no windows, a porthole, or a verandah? From my experience with people who suffer from sea sickness the fresh air and the ability to look at the horizon helps reduce the symptons of sea sickness but they are better remedies to reduce/eliminate sea sickness. Personnally I would not select a stateroom as a method to reduce sea sickness.

3. Does ground transportation to/from WDW go to all the Disney resorts? We're staying at a Disney resort for the first night of the whole trip, before the cruise, and we'd like to stay at SSR so we can just go to DTD that night. Yes, you can catch ground transportation from any of the parks and DTD to any Disney resorts.

4. Is there a way for a party of two to not have to sit with other people while dining? My mom is kind of unsocial and I don't like to talk much when I eat so the idea of sitting with strangers is really not good for us. Yes, just call DCL to request a table for just the two of you. You can also request your own table on board the ship on your first sail day.

5. For the Dream, the fireworks from Castaway Cay can be seen from the starboard side, correct?The fireworks show is from the ship not from Castawy Cay.
:)

You are sailing during peak hurricane season, it's good that you're buying insurance. I don't know specifically about that company, you should call them directly.

If your mom is prone to motion sickness, have her take something to prevent it. I swear by Bonine. I would be miserable otherwise.

If you want a table for just the two of you, call and have them note it on your reservation. It's better to let them know ahead of time.

The fireworks are shot from the ship. It has nothing to do with Castaway Cay. I've heard you can see them from some starboard rooms.

3. Does ground transportation to/from WDW go to all the Disney resorts? We're staying at a Disney resort for the first night of the whole trip, before the cruise, and we'd like to stay at SSR so we can just go to DTD that night.
Yes, you can catch ground transportation from any of the parks and DTD to any Disney resorts.
I think OP is asking about the DCL bus for the transfer to Port Canaveral.
Yes, DCL transportation to PC picks up at all Disney Resorts, including SSR&S.

Thanks guys!

And yes, I did mean ground transportation to Port Canaveral. I definitely know allll about Disney resort buses ;).

And while the fireworks are starboard, they ask you to not go out veranda during the fireworks and you won't get a very good view from there anyways.

For sea sickness, aside from taking something for motion sickness, looking out at the horizon can help maintain equilibrium so you can avoid getting sea sick. On my last (and only) cruise (so far), we had a large party and it was only those in the interior cabins who got any hint of sea sickness. In other words, if sea sickness is really a concern, you may want to consider a balcony - although you can get the same effect from hanging out on deck.

For what it is worth, my mother, who gets queasy on the monorail at WDW, had no problem with motion sickness on our cruise and we were in some rough waters. Your mother may surprise you (as mine did) and adjust fine to the movement.

To chime in along the excellent answers you've received:

1. Insurance. If you aren't afraid you may be cancelling, I believe the earlier the better for getting the insurance.

2. Motion Sickness. I am very prone. I take a bonine each day, starting the day BEFORE sailing. Never been a problem for me on the ship (I've sailed DCL 7 times; one trip was particularly rocking). I do believe that the selection of stateroom won't make a noticeable difference.

3. I agree you should call DCL ahead of time to arrange the table for two.

Have a GREAT trip! My mom joined my family on our second DCL cruise, and now she has surpassed me (cruised twice without me!) with 8 cruises! Careful...it's an expensive addiction!:goodvibes

To chime in along the excellent answers you've received:

1. Insurance. If you aren't afraid you may be cancelling, I believe the earlier the better for getting the insurance.

2. Motion Sickness. I am very prone. I take a bonine each day, starting the day BEFORE sailing. Never been a problem for me on the ship (I've sailed DCL 7 times; one trip was particularly rocking). I do believe that the selection of stateroom won't make a noticeable difference.

3. I agree you should call DCL ahead of time to arrange the table for two.

Have a GREAT trip! My mom joined my family on our second DCL cruise, and now she has surpassed me (cruised twice without me!) with 8 cruises! Careful...it's an expensive addiction!:goodvibes
I totally agree with the bolded. If anyone is prone to motion sickness, start taking something the day (or night in my case) before you get on the ship. It's so much easier to prevent it then it is to treat it once you feel sick. I've been on deck 2 midship and deck 9 aft and couldn't feel any difference in motion. I feel it no matter where I am on the ship.

My husband and I got seasick patches from our doctor. We put them on when we boarded ( about 3 hours before the ship sailed) The patch lasts 3 days. It is important to put it on before you get seasick. It takes about. 3 hours to get into your system. We kept the patches on the whole trip and had no problems. For my 7 year old we called his pediatrician and they recommended Kid's Dramamine. It is also important to take before seasickness occurs. He gets motion sickness just driving through town . He had no seasickness the whole trip .

Re travel insurance: An important consideration in terms of the timing of purchase is whether or not you have a pre existing medical condition. Many plans issue a 'waiver' if you purchase the travel insurance at the time of the cruise deposit, or within a specified timeframe (typically within 21 days, but differs from plan to plan). There are also other requirements related to eligibility for the waiver and each plan is different. pixiedust:

For sea sickness, if you can handle the idea of an inside stateroom or a porthole (no veranda), the movement is least noticeable on lower decks near the middle of the ship (deck 2 or 3).

This isn't below the water line. There are several decks of crew quarters below the lowest passenger deck.

1. Buy travel insurance as soon as you know how much you're whole trip is from airline tickets, transport costs, cruise cost, etc....
2.They have great free sea sickness pills in the med dec. When i got sea sick I found it was useful to walk around and check things out.

You can request a table for just the two of you, but depending on how full your cruise is this may not be possible in early seating. Late seating may be more likely to grant your request.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter