Some disturbing Disney pricing info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, someone mentioned you can't rely on thing such as pin codes to keep costs down. You can't. But you can't rely on an off site hotel waiving their fees, as another poster mentioned happened to them. If you check and add in the fees, many of them cost more than a Disney value.

Absolutely. The Hilton for example at Bonnet Creek has a $40 resort fee per night which is crazy. Wyndham Bonnet Creek has no resort fee. You definitely have to be aware of that.

Absolutely. The Hilton for example at Bonnet Creek has a $40 resort fee per night which is crazy. Wyndham Bonnet Creek has no resort fee. You definitely have to be aware of that.

I've always wanted to try a Disney Springs resort. But when you start adding in fees, and the difference in where you are dropped off at the parks, they just are not worth it to me.

Maybe next trip I will add an extra day to the front, just to see what those resorts offer.

I used to. But when I was pricing out our vacation for next July and discovered we could stay at Bonnet Creek in a 1,300 square foot beautifully decorated villa for the same price as an undecorated 260 square foot room, that's when Disney lost me. And I love the Value resorts. Love the themes, love the food courts, love the bus service. But we do like to come back to the room and relax a bit during the day and there's no way I could relax in those rooms anymore. I'd feel like I was visiting someone (or staying) in a hospital.

It is apples and oranges, IMO. I am not willing to compromise the transportation, the convenience to dining, or the theme for space. Not in WDW. SOmewhere else? Sure, I want more space, or a view. Etc. Beach vacation? My DH will not compromise of ocean front, right on the beach. He does not mean ocean view, and he does not mean we cross a road. WE pay a premium for that. WDW? I don't care what my room overlooks. Basically by the time we rent a vehicle, get meals, and pay for entertainment, same price.

An extended family vacation at an island? I prefer AI, and a suite with concierge service. I get more space, more food and beverage options, and I get to have that ocean front, however I do not get 4 theme parks. My cost is the same per person and WDW, different amentities, different spacing, different experience. Same price.

NYC? I am not a confident traveler, so I need to stay in the area we are visiting. I need to plan for taxis, food, lodging, and shows and entertainment. To be honest, I need way more than 200 per person per day. This is a much shorter trip, and the cost is more than my usual budget.

Now as I said earlier, it is all relative. WE budget a per person per day cost and I make that work. If I am planning an off site trip (I will not, but if I was) I would need to budget the fees, and the car rental into my cost. And as I said upthread, I do not travel to WDW without a sale of some sort, so that factors into my plans, but I do this with every destination.

I think if I looked at everything I buy on a day to day basis I would be disturbed. Groceries, pet food, gas, everything has gone up. I refuse to look back and be offended because something used to be cheaper than it is now. If it is important,
I've always wanted to try a Disney Springs resort. But when you start adding in fees, and the difference in where you are dropped off at the parks, they just are not worth it to me.

Maybe next trip I will add an extra day to the front, just to see what those resorts offer.

If you had asked me 10 years ago if I would ever stay offsite, the answer would have been absolutely not. I love the Disney bubble too much. I could still possibly tolerate the pricing of a Value, but the look and feel of a room is important to me. I just can't get past the sterility of the new rooms. Bonnet Creek seems like a perfect solution. Good price, on site, beautiful rooms, and tons of recreation.

It is apples and oranges, IMO. I am not willing to compromise the transportation, the convenience to dining, or the theme for space. Not in WDW. SOmewhere else? Sure, I want more space, or a view. Etc. Beach vacation? My DH will not compromise of ocean front, right on the beach. He does not mean ocean view, and he does not mean we cross a road. WE pay a premium for that. WDW? I don't care what my room overlooks. Basically by the time we rent a vehicle, get meals, and pay for entertainment, same price.

An extended family vacation at an island? I prefer AI, and a suite with concierge service. I get more space, more food and beverage options, and I get to have that ocean front, however I do not get 4 theme parks. My cost is the same per person and WDW, different amentities, different spacing, different experience. Same price.

NYC? I am not a confident traveler, so I need to stay in the area we are visiting. I need to plan for taxis, food, lodging, and shows and entertainment. To be honest, I need way more than 200 per person per day. This is a much shorter trip, and the cost is more than my usual budget.

Now as I said earlier, it is all relative. WE budget a per person per day cost and I make that work. If I am planning an off site trip (I will not, but if I was) I would need to budget the fees, and the car rental into my cost. And as I said upthread, I do not travel to WDW without a sale of some sort, so that factors into my plans, but I do this with every destination.

I agree. That's why the only non-Disney property I even considered is Bonnet Creek. In terms of convenience, you're closer to the parks (except Animal Kingdom) than All Stars. Plenty of dining options on site, and you're a stones throw from Disney Springs.

That being said, I will miss free Disney transportation. I actually enjoy the buses, and love the boats and monorails.

Good point, and definitely something we had to figure in. No doubt, that will be an expense. We decided Uber would be the cheapest option for us. Cheaper than parking each day, never mind the cost of a rental car.

I will sometime cost a trip for people, and if I can find a discount for them I can sometimes bring the trip in for less than offsite when you consider transportaion adn all that encompasses with fees. WDW is not a cheap vacation destination, but it never was. I firmly believe that as vacation mindset changes, as it has for you, priorities change. Of space becomes a priority, the value of any WDW resort is reduced. If transportation and convenience becomes a priority, the onsite resorts will probably win. This is why I am puzzled why some people think there is a right or wrong way to vacation. I refuse to cook, clean, or do laundry on vacation, so a camping trip would be my version of Hades. FOr those who camp FW is an oasis. I also do nto liek to drive, so I choose a location that reduces that need, but I need to pay for it. If it is a priority it becomes part of the budget. Heck, if I take my DGD to NYC, my DH plans that budget because he does not even like me to change trains, or drive to New Haven, and I am too cheap to pay for Amtrak the whole way.

The hotel prices were a huge reason why we bought into DVC with just the right amount of points. Although we had to pay a large sum up front and yearly maintenance fees, it still allows us to stay at deluxe hotels for a much lower price.

Good point, and definitely something we had to figure in. No doubt, that will be an expense. We decided Uber would be the cheapest option for us. Cheaper than parking each day, never mind the cost of a rental car.

That adds up. When you consider transportation to and from the airport, back and forth to parks and to restaurants, the cost can jump. For me to manage that cost I need to add more planning.

The problem is the number of people in the US that move for economic reasons is way down. Not sure why that is? We are desperate for workers here. They keep raising wages to attract more people. Not sure how wide the spread has to get before more people start moving. It is a real problem here.

imo, this is because job security is nothing like it used to be. There was a day when you could relocate to a good job with a good company, and count on being there until you retired. Moving was worth the investment. You can no longer count on that. I'm not going to pick up and move across country, or even across the state, for a job that may be downsized tomorrow. Or the company may relocate to another country. Or any number of things.

I've worked primarily in manufacturing and production, so maybe this scenario is different for other fields. But, the job security that used to be there just isn't any longer.

We just got back from a stay at ASMusic and i have to say, i am looking forward to a refurb.. but I might change my mind after our first stay... I will agree though that pricing is getting out of hand but as long as people keep paying $100+ day tickets, $150 per night rooms, $15 burgers, $10 beers, etc.. Disney will keep pushing their prices up until they find that price point where folks say, no more..

When is the last time you got a room at a value for less than $100? Not anymore!!!! not with the last price hikes the last couple years!
As for the floors not being dirty in a newer room.... you should have seen what we walked into at CSR last month! Nasty, sticky stuff on the bathroom floors, piles of dirt and food crumbs under and around the beds and dresser! it was terrible!
Jan 9-13, 2018 (yes, this year) I paid, with taxes, less than $410 for 4 nights. In August of this year I paid $210/night plus taxes for Wilderness Lodge. If you know where to look, the deals are still out there.

Jan 9-13, 2018 (yes, this year) I paid, with taxes, less than $410 for 4 nights. In August of this year I paid $210/night plus taxes for Wilderness Lodge. If you know where to look, the deals are still out there.

January and August, yup, you can get deals. For those that are only able to go in July, no way. But we're doing Universal in January, so it's our choice.

No idea what annual pass discounts there are anymore. I refuse to pay $1,000 for an AP. We've never paid more than $230 per night at Universal, and those resorts are on par with Disney Deluxe digs, in some cases, superior. Certainly much better perks.

January and August, yup, you can get deals. For those that are only able to go in July, no way. But we're doing Universal in January, so it's our choice.

No idea what annual pass discounts there are anymore. I refuse to pay $1,000 for an AP. We've never paid more than $230 per night at Universal, and those resorts are on par with Disney Deluxe digs, in some cases, superior. Certainly much better perks.

It really does depend on when you travel and what deals you can find.

For the dates we travel, we always find Universal resorts way more expensive then Disney. Hardrock was $325 per night for a standard room + parking + tax for our August dates. The Poly was $291 for a standard room that included parking and taxes.

For the dates we travel, we always find Universal resorts way more expensive then Disney. Hardrock was $325 per night for a standard room + parking + tax for our August dates. The Poly was $291 for a standard room that included parking and taxes.

Not that I'm doubting this, but I would bet good money, if I were to check any dates for 2019, Polynesian would be more expensive than Hard Rock.....by a lot.

I agree with you @Captainkidd76. What a lot of people do is compare discounted rates at Disney with rack rate at Universal. Not apples to apples and that is why they find Disney cheaper. My comparison is rack rate to rack rate. We had no discounts and they were booked at the same time.

I definitely agree with you about Universal. Last year we spent 5 days at Disney and 5 at Universal. Disney about $2700 for a TPV room at the Contemporary. Universal about $1400 for a Club level room at the HRH with express pass included. Big difference. Also able to pick a room with a king size bed at HRH. Couldn't do that at CR.

We didn't stay at Poly last year because it was booked up. As you can see from my post on page 1 these were the price differences for us. I know Poly is similar in price to CR. And before someone says something I know we had a TPV room in the tower which is more expensive than the garden wing but the idea was the price of CL at Universal. Let me know what Dec 15- 19 was for a standard room at Poly without discounts in 2017 then it would be the same comparison.

Not that I'm doubting this, but I would bet good money, if I were to check any dates for 2019, Polynesian would be more expensive than Hard Rock.....by a lot.

Probably. That’s why I said it depends on when you can travel and deals you can find. We have the same findings every time we do a split Universal/Disney stay.

We actually did a quadruple stay this summer....Cabana Bay/Hardrock/Polynesian/Pop.
Just as another comparison, our Cabana Bay room cost more then Pop and we had free dining at Pop.

Yep. We stayed standard at the Poly in August 2017. 2 adults, 1 child. 4 nights/4 day tickets +1 day extra we used on Blizzard Beach. $1,981. We spent $800 on food and extras. But it was our first trip and did 3 meals and some snacks a day.

Edited: pulled my charges and it was $237/night

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter