• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solution for wet feet??

Leney343

Earning My Ears
I'd like my kids to wear tennis shoes vs. sandals at WDW for protection and support. Here's my question. We're going to try to get by with only fanny packs and water bottles. If we don't bring an extra pair of shoes, when it rains, is there any kind of slip on (like a Totes?) that could keep the shoes dry, but fit in a fanny pack until needed (with the poncho!)?? Have any of you devised something due to necessity? Should I just bring dry socks and hope for the best?

Thanks, Helene

I had those same concerns just the other day. I don't like to wear sandals and I don't feel that the parks are a place for anyone to go around in open-toed shoes! Maybe it's just me, but a slight stumble, and accidental trip, weaving through crowds of peopleccause mild discomfort when wearing shoes. But no toe coverage! OUCH!

Now that I have recently purchased at the Beach Club Villas and at Hilton Head Island, with Disney's Vacation Club, my family's visits to Disney and the beach will be more frequent. Especially with a trip coming up in the heat of August, I wanted to be prepared for the water rides and water parks. I also didn't want to be carrying a lot of "stuff", just like you.

My solution was a little expensive, but I only used this option for my husband and I, since our feet are not growing, unlike the kids (ages 11 and 6). I purchased true water shoes, like what true athletic/outdoorsy types (unlike myself) wear when they go kayaking or rafting or river running! They are NOT like "aqua socks" (thin soled, minimal foot protection). They are more like sneakers (and cost just as much!). The sides are more porous (mesh), for water drainage, and they are made from quick-drying materials. The outsoles are designed for increased traction and grip on wet, slippery surfaces and the insoles provide the comfort and support that you expect from a good athletic shoe.

So there you have it. The alternative to carrying around a change of footwear or walking around the parks in soggy socks and shoes. Invest in a good pair of water shoes. (For the kids, I'll probably just bring extra socks. They usually take their shoes off as soon as they get on a water ride and put them in my backpack to stay dry.)

Hope this was helpful. -mle

Another solution is to bring the dry socks and shoes in a backpack and leave them in a locker at the park. You can rent a locker at each park, and if you park hop you get a receipt when you turn in the key and won't have to pay the rent again at the next park visited on the same day. We did this at AK in Dec. when it was barely 60 degrees and cloudy, but the kids really wanted to ride Kali River Rapids. It worked great. Just a little squishy during the walk from the ride to the lockers.

Old campers trick. Wear a thin plastic bag BETWEEN your dry sock and wet shoe. Just carry the bags in your pack, and an additional dry pair of socks. Doesn't let the shoe dry, but your feet will be warmer.

Carla

You'll need water socks around the pools anyway, the hot concrete is murder, and rather rough-textured, too. If they do the wet rides barefoot with their shoes in plastic bags, they won't have wet feet from that source.

Any time I get caught in a serious downpour, I just take my shoes off and walk barefoot until it stops or I get inside. I grew up in S. Louisiana, where you can ruin plenty of pairs of shoes unless you learn to cut your losses and go with the fastest-drying footwear out there--your skin.

We switched to wearing good sport sandals a few years ago, and we are NEVER going back to sneakers. Sandals are so much cooler and more convenient. Tevas are not the only brand out there, there are plenty of other brands which offer more foot coverage; Merrells come to mind. (Mine are from Nike, DH and DS wear Bass. I got DS' Bass sport sandals at Marshall's every year; they run about $15 there.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter