Solos-how do you deal with "saving tables" at Counter Serve?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
The one disadvantage in traveling solo, I've found, is eating at Counter Serve resturaunts when there aren't any/many available tables. You get in line for your food not knowing if a table will be available after you get your food. At least if you're with others, one person can get in line for food, while someone else looks for a table. And last time, I found one of the last tables at Pizzafari, and when I sat down I discovered I'd forgotten napkins. I didn't dare get back up! Maybe I'd lose my table AND my food! How do others deal with this? Do you find it easier to eat at Table Serve resturaunts for this reason? Or do you make it a point to eat only at off times, when Counter Serve places aren't as crowded?

I travel all over for work by myself, and when I find myself in this situation I simply ask the nicest family at the closet table to watch my seat/table for a minute while I go back for napkins, straw, etc. As long as you're not asking them to watch valuables (like a table in a crowded restaurant ISN'T valuable!!) they are usually eager to help!

:flower:

Disney always provided plenty of seating, more than enough usually. On the heavy times of day, you'll still only have to wait for a minute or so before a family gets up and leaves, and that's where you have an advantage anyway, you'll be the fastest to the table because you only have one person to worry about. Then grab the table and flag down a CM who is wiping tables.

Personally, tho, I usually eat as I walk, since I like to be on the go, or find a bench to people watch away from the restaurant.

I totally understand the problems of eating solo at counter serve restaurants! I mainly eat at off-peak times, like I'll eat at Cosmic Rays after 2:30 or before 11:30. I scan the area to make sure there are plenty of available tables before I buy food. If I can, I try to sit somewhat near a condiment/napkin counter so I can grab anything I forget without losing site of my table! I find the Pepper Market is the worst - the servers think you left when you go back for anything or to refill your mug!

The other tricky place that I like to eat at is Tusker House, as most tables are long ones with six or eight seats, so you could wind up with strangers at your table during crowded times. But there are a couple of two seater tables in the way back, so I make sure a few are available before I get in line for food! :teeth:

I've been pretty lucky with obtaining a table at counter service, even when it is busy. There always seems to be a table that has all but one chair missing. People move chairs around. They take 2 or 3 chairs from one table to their party of 7 can all sit at a table for four. When I see this table, I take it because I only need one chair. There's a table at an out of the way or odd place that no one wants to sit and I take it. I've only had to eat standing up once, but a family vacated a table and I sat at it as soon as they left.

A friend of mine who did solo traveling alot had a sign made on folding cardboard that she would place tented over her food. The sign said "I have not left, I will return shortly". She would use it whenever she had to leave the table (restroom, missing condiments, etc) It always worked for her even in busy airport resturants. The cardboard folded up and made a piece about the size of a small book and easily unfolded and tented over her food.

Great idea, luvalldisney! :earsgirl:

When I am solo I usually just try to eat at off-peak times or do sit-down. But the sign sounds like a good solution!

I have a stressful job and a busy family; sometimes I take a short trip by myself (not to Disney yet, though!) for some "me" time. Some of the most fun I have ever had on these trips has been when, left with no other place to sit, I have asked to join the table of other solos or groups.

You meet some of the most wonderful and interesting people this way! :)

tiki23 said:
I have a stressful job and a busy family; sometimes I take a short trip by myself (not to Disney yet, though!) for some "me" time. Some of the most fun I have ever had on these trips has been when, left with no other place to sit, I have asked to join the table of other solos or groups.

You meet some of the most wonderful and interesting people this way! :)

Well...I have the stressful job and a Mom and Brother....

But I have asked to sit with others....guess I got used to it living in Germany where it seems to occur more frequently.

Finding a table is no more or less difficult after I get out of the line than it is when I got into the line. I just look around while I'm actually in the line and note any empties within sight.

Once I have my food, I tend to stop at the condiment dispenser and grab napkins, a straw, catsup, salt and pepper, and anything else I might need, all at once. That way I don't have to make another trip once I get a table.

When I get a table, I tend to put my utility belt on it, along with my sunglasses and camera. If I realize that I forgot something, or if I need extra napkins, I'll take the camera with me but leave the utility belt and sunglasses, and go get what I need. Leaving my stuff there marks the table as occupied, and the custodials will not clear it off. Note that I don't leave my precious camera unattended, ever!

I usually have a note book or a book that I'm reading in my back pack. I'll put them on the table and have had pretty good luck with them being there after I've gotten my food.

I went solo last December, and the crowds were such that I didn't seem to have trouble just getting up and grabbing my stuff, and getting back to my table... just not crowded enough. A couple times, though, I did ask a nearby family if they would watch my bag while I grabbed some napkins, and never had a problem with people being willing to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter