Solo trips - Share with me fellow solo travellers!

The last two times I went to Universal were solo and I hugely enjoyed them.

I will say that if you plan on using public transportation to get to and from the parks, make sure you thoroughly review the routes from your hotel to the parks and which directions. One time I went in 2017, I took the bus in the wrong direction and had to wait 1.5 hours to get there (rather than 10 minutes).

The last two times I went to Universal were solo and I hugely enjoyed them.

I will say that if you plan on using public transportation to get to and from the parks, make sure you thoroughly review the routes from your hotel to the parks and which directions. One time I went in 2017, I took the bus in the wrong direction and had to wait 1.5 hours to get there (rather than 10 minutes).

The hotel I'm staying at is about 20 minutes walk from the park, it was described as "A nice little walk" by the chap at Virgin Holidays when I booked,but being so close to the park and not being a driver was the reason I chose to stay there and with any luck I'll be able to get a room with a view of Volcano Bay, fingers crossed!

If the walk is a bit much for you, the public transportation is cheap. It won't dent your wallet.

Spike, is it a Universal hotel? If not, that 20 minute walk might be across a few freeways. Be careful out there!

Its the Rosen Inn closest to Universal, I will be ultra careful, insofar that my first couple of days I will leave the park before it gets dark just so I can really get to grips with the walk and the freeways.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn right across from Universal, in 2009. It was close, but OMG there was a ton of freeway in between. We ended up taking a cab (nowadays I guess people would hire a Lyft or Uber) each time we came and went and it was about $6-$7 each time, (just gave them $10 to include the tip). Well worth it and they dropped you off right underneath the security area (past the parking garage) where the shuttle busses pull up.

Just throwing that out there Spike; we don't want you to get squished for lack of Zebra Stripes and cars going the 'wrong' way!

Its the Rosen Inn closest to Universal, I will be ultra careful, insofar that my first couple of days I will leave the park before it gets dark just so I can really get to grips with the walk and the freeways.

Honestly Spike....the crossings are well marked and very clear where you can cross and where you can`t and loads of people walk that road day and night......wouldn't fancy it with the heat more than the traffic at certain times of the year...…but you`ll be fine.....

We`ve never walked it as we are always onsite, but have driven that way hundreds it times and pedestrians are always at the crossings. It`s a fairly busy route for tourists staying on the I Drive area.

I walked it a bunch last Feb, including 10pm, and there were always a few other pedestrians visible. The road is busy & many lanes but you cross at a clearly marked intersection with a traffic light. Don't sweat it.

Looking at the reviews on trip ad visor it seems as if it is good for walkers - so I would probably not worry too much.
As others said you wont be the only person walking
Like anywhere just be aware of your surroundings - and also it says they have a shuttle from the reviews I read - but it gets very busy - but it is an option as well

We've stayed nearby more often than onsite in the last few years and walked over lots of times, including a few times at night. There are always plenty of people walking, so you won't feel like it's deserted and it's as safe as any other busy suburban area, in my opinion.

We're not talking interstate highways with huge tractor trailer trucks: just busy roads. Take your time, use the crossways and you should be fine. :tiptoe::tiptoe::tiptoe:
I hate waiting around for shuttles or transport...if I'm not in my own car, I'd rather walk. So a bit biased, I guess
Bonus: the extra calories burned can justify extra cocktails and meal splurges...:cake::drinking:at least they do for me.

I found the morning shuttle useful. You have to sign up the day before, or morning of (space permitting). Timing for the return in the evening never seemed to align. But after sitting for a meal at City Walk we were refreshed enough to wander back to the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter