• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Trip Best Practices?

I don't know if you ever considered buying into the Disney Vacation Club, but if you did, this would be a perfect time to tour the DVC resorts ( Broadwalk, Beach Club, Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Bay Lake, Grand Floridian, and the Poly).

Hmm...Le Cellier was definitely on my list...LOVE the cheddar cheese soup!
What are the chances I could get an order of the soup "take out" :P
No need to do that. Just study all the park brochures and look up stuff and text on your phone. No problem. Maple creme brûlée is worth it.

LOL - Honestly, I'd deal with being uncomfortable for that soup...one of my favorite things ever (not just in Disney). Maybe I'll jut go and get a double shot of soup and make another ADR some where else at a later time
You just convinced me to dine there solo. I just made a reservation on march 2nd! It's my last day, i've never eaten at Le Celier...so...I'm doing it! Uncomfortableness be damned!

My trip this past November was somewhat solo. I stayed at POR for 10 days solo, but had friends staying at another resort, so we met up throughout the trip and had meals together. I had a lot of time on my own.. I must say, being solo is wonderful!!! I love waking up early in wdw, so getting up and getting ready when I wanted was great, without having to worry about anyone else complaining it was too early or waiting for anyone else to get ready. I was off and to the parks for rope drop and just did what I felt like it. It was awesome to just do things I normally wouldn't have if I were with a group.. there is SO much more to see and do than just rides. It was one of my favorite trips ever! I had a nice early breakfast solo at Kona Cafe one morning.. went right when they opened and then explored the Poly for a bit before heading to a park. There was no rushing at all, worrying about what others wanted to do. I cannot wait to do it again in the future!

yeah - I'm a little concerned about feeling a bit awkward being at a table service by myself, but I'll get over it as I don't want to do all quick service, nor do I want to do the "group seating" restaurants like Tappen Edo and Biergarten the whole time.

Do you find its rough getting single table ADR's?
Have done multiple solos and have done table service at lots of restaurants and dinner shows. Every place treated me well as a solo diner, with the exception of Brown Derby. Tip: If you want an ADR at Ohana, do a table for 2...it's easier to get a confirmation. I was getting nowhere trying for their table for one until a DIS poster clued me in.

Also -For discussion:
Do you get your money's worth from the Park Hopper option as a solo guest if you aren't going to take "mid day breaks" back a the hotel?

I've been debating if I wanted to buy the hopper option, but looking back over my past few solo visits where I could hop (either on CM passes or on my AP), I discovered that I didn't hop. Given the time to go between the parks (one exception being between MK and EPCOT when the monorail is going regularly), it's just easier to stay put and explore where I am. So I'm saving that $68 this trip.

Have done multiple solos and have done table service at lots of restaurants and dinner shows. Every place treated me well as a solo diner, with the exception of Brown Derby. Tip: If you want an ADR at Ohana, do a table for 2...it's easier to get a confirmation. I was getting nowhere trying for their table for one until a DIS poster clued me in.

Yeah, I was told by multiple CMs that for whatever reason 'Ohana's system is not set up to "allow" 1-person ADRs. And they all admitted it doesn't make any sense since the other restaurants with family-style services don't have problems with 1-person ADRs. Make it for 2 and just have a "no show" for half the party - no charge as long as one of you shows up.

Done many solo trips while away on a business trip. Seems my plane always stops in Orlando first!!!

I have never done a table service by myself. I hate to take the time, but it sounds like the OP has that as a must do. What I do like is being on my schedule. I am up early and ready to go, so often at the start of the lines to get in the parks. That gives time to chat with folks. Same for lines at attractions. People are in a good spirit at Disney, and you are not viewed as creepy if you engage in conversation.

I offer to take photos of couples - another good way to interact.

I have done the 4 parks a few times. You can not ride everything you want, but it is possible, and really pretty easy. I have watched Fantasmic at an 8:00 showing, then hurried to EPCOT to see Illuminations at 9:00. That would not be easy with others in tow.

Take the time to enjoy what you want, and enjoy others around you. It is a happy place, and most are willing to share their happiness.

My trip this past November was somewhat solo. I stayed at POR for 10 days solo, but had friends staying at another resort, so we met up throughout the trip and had meals together. I had a lot of time on my own.. I must say, being solo is wonderful!!! I love waking up early in wdw, so getting up and getting ready when I wanted was great, without having to worry about anyone else complaining it was too early or waiting for anyone else to get ready. I was off and to the parks for rope drop and just did what I felt like it. It was awesome to just do things I normally wouldn't have if I were with a group.. there is SO much more to see and do than just rides. It was one of my favorite trips ever! I had a nice early breakfast solo at Kona Cafe one morning.. went right when they opened and then explored the Poly for a bit before heading to a park. There was no rushing at all, worrying about what others wanted to do. I cannot wait to do it again in the future!

That sounds heavenly! I am an early riser at WDW as well, and my family does not appreciate it at all. If it were up to me, we'd be out the door at 6am, and not necessarily with a particular destination or strategy in mind. I've learned that others in my family need more of a carrot to get up that early than "it's pretty and quiet in the morning". Go figure. :tongue:

Just one more reason on my growing list in favor of a solo trip for me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter