• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo split- stay adult on budget

superphil420

Earning My Ears
I decided at the last minute to buy buy a Florida resident silver pass at the last minute. I bought it the first week of February. I first used the pass the second week in February. I previously had never driven to any of the resorts. The last time I visited was around 1999. The next visit being in 2019. Way back in 1999 I had a friend of family make all the arrangements. This was the first time I did everything SOLO. This was the first time being at any of the parks.

Here is my review of a SOLO traveler AND split staying:

I arrived at 730 AM and parked. I went to the lobby to check in and did not use online. I like face to face. I checked in at first at the wrong All-Stars resort. My original reservations said Sports the first night and Music the next night. I first checked in at the Music lobby. I was helped and was able to get checked in. I was told I would be text messaged when my room was ready. I had some packages stamped and ready to be shipped from eBay sales the night before I left. I was able to pull around to the portico and unload them. I then moved my car back to its parking space. I then waited for a bus to Animal Kingdom to come. I was still parked at Music.

I was able to get to Animal Kingdom at 8:55AM. There was not much of a crowd. I easily walked through security, even with no bag I was called for a second screening. Bam! I was through and done.

I had already set times and Fastpass for rides and attractions and timed one after another using the My Disney Experience App. I just used this more of a guild of what I wanted to see , not necessarily a timeline to follow, after all, I was SOLO.

I followed my “timeline” and at about 1030AM I got the text saying my room was ready! I had already seen The Pandora Suit, It’s tough to be a bug and #wingedencounters. I was chosen to hold one of two perch sticks! The birds flew right over me a few times. I then headed towards the exit.

I was ready to check out and see what my room was like. I searched for my “room”, remember, I first parked at Music. I was supposed to stay at Sports. I next spent 90 minutes looking for a room number that did not exist. I even asked for help from a maintenance guy and he told me to follow him. He got me to my “room”. I then parked and walked to find this room. I finally realized I was not only at the wrong room but also the wrong resort. I even gave the maintenance guy a completely other wrong room number than I thought I had! Wow! I did not know anything about the directions to your room option on the app!

I finally found the right room in the right resort. I was able to use my newly activated wristband and open the room with ease. I only took a handful of things seeing I was only staying a night. I checked out the room and dropped a few things off. This included a new box of peanut butter Girl Scout cookies in the fridge. I explored the resort and again was lost. I finally made it to the lobby of the resort I was staying at for night number one, Sports. I met Travis at the front desk of sports. I explained to him about how lost I got searching for the room(s). He was sincerely concerned and disappointed. He apologized profusely and told me not to worry. I asked Travis if there was any way I would be able to stay in the same room both nights. I was shocked with the results. Travis changed my room to be closer to the lobby for both nights. The first room was 55XX, the new room 10XX! WOW! He gave me a key card to use to get my stuff out of the old room. I then reminded him about my FP I had set for later in the day. He said no problem, I will change all of your fast passes for anytime. He also gave me my resort cup a day early. (The second night had the Disney Dining Plan.)

So, after now more than 2 hours of moving reservations and rooms and a new parking space I was back on track and back to the park.

It was at this time I remembered I left the Girl Scout Cookies in the old rooms fridge! I told the nearest Cast Member the situation. I told them to make sure Travis got them as a reward. The guest service person told me they would. I do not know if this actually happened. I hope so.

I started my way back through the park. I saw Festival of the Lion king, Pandora Drummers – Swotu Wayä, Gibbons, Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris and Na'vi River Journey. I had a FP for EE and KS, I did not have any FP for Pandora, but was still able to ride most of the rides with little wait. This brought me close to the closing of the park. There were people leaving already. I overheard a father telling the kids to hurry up. He was having them run to Avatar Flight of Passage because he told them the line would be short. I silently agreed and as this was the only ride left I had not been on I followed him and his family. He was wearing a bright orange shirt. He was also right about the ride time. I got on the ride faster than him! Riding single or SOLO is a great way!

I jumped on the next bus back to All Star Sports. I next realized I had not eaten all day! NOTHING! I looked at the dining options at the resort. I was still on a budget. I settled for a kids hamburger meal combo. This is a bargain for a budget minded SOLO traveler, like me. The adult burger combo is about $20, with fries and the kids comes with a smaller burger, fries a drink from the cooler and a snack from the cooler. This was $8.

I took my meal and headed to the new upgraded room! Shortly after eating and washing up I laid on the bed. The next thing I knew, it was 530AM. I had fallen asleep about 10pm!

So I was up and ready for the next day all refreshed!

I walked around the resort and saw few people. I walked through the lobby and out to the buses. I saw a bus for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I took the bus for that resort before heading to a park. Thanks to the FP and short lines at Animal Kingdom I had some extra time to explore. I walked into the huge beautiful wooded lobby. I walked towards the back of the lobby where you are able to see the safari. I snapped a few pictures and slowly headed back to the buses. I got the next bus to Animal Kingdom.

Today was the day I had the dining plan. This is also why I chose not to eat much the night before. I went straight, but slowly to Flame Tree BBQ for my counter service meal. I got the full slab of ribs. This is huge! This alone can feed 2 adults or 3-4 kids if combined with something else. I finished most of the ribs ($28).

I next had a FP for EE but did not use it. I headed to my safari ride! The safari ride was great! I wish I could have gone on all day long! I however had dinner plans for Wolf Gang Puck Bar and grill at Disney Springs. I saw a few more animals and entertainers on the walkway on my way out of the park. I was able to see part of Pandora and the Tree of Life light up for the night.

I made it back to the resort in plenty of time to relax and get ready for dinner.

After I got ready for dinner I got on a bus and headed to Disney Springs. I check out a few stores, with Lego as my number one stop. I got a shave at The Art of Shaving, which was great. I never had a straight razor shave! I was then ready for my Wolf Gang Puck dinner!

I arrived early for my reservation and was still seated right away. I had the steak. The steak was great but I don’t think my server did not like people using the DDP. The service was sub par and I felt rushed. I still enjoyed my dinner. I headed towards the buses back to the resorts. This was a LONG walk! I eventually got back to by resort. I did not last long that night also, falling asleep without even getting under the covers, it was half past 11.

So, for the budget minded here are a few things,

book separate reservations if you don;t want DDP every day!

check in at the front desk IN PERSON face to face is much better!

eat kids meals I saved money by ordering an $8 kids meal burger combo VS a $20 adult burger combo. I could eat 2 kids meals and still be under the adult $20 price.

ask every attraction, ride, exhibit, restaurant if they have room for one or single rider. Be nice to them all!

I think that covers it all! Great times!

Pat

eat kids meals I saved money by ordering an $8 kids meal burger combo VS a $20 adult burger combo. I could eat 2 kids meals and still be under the adult $20 price.

Thanks for the low down on your solo trip. I head to my second solo trip in May and will not be doing the dining plan this time around. I would never have thought of a children's meal...It's brilliant and perfect for what I realistically can eat. I will be keeping my eyes open for these options wherever possible. I will be having some wonderful adult meals at some amazing restaurants too which is where I would rather spend the $$$.

Many thanks. Enjoy using your Annual Pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter