Solo Resort Decision

ebkrist

Earning My Ears
I'm heading down for my first solo at the end of January, and find myself torn about resorts. I'm leaning towards a moderate resort.

Do I want something smaller, or should I say, more compact, like POFQ? Or stick with a sprawling resort like CBR?
Do I want to spend more money on a preferred room so I'm closer to a main building?

I know Disney is about as safe as you can get, but I'm unsure what to do about where to stay.:confused3

Comments? Opinions?

I'm heading down for my first solo at the end of January, and find myself torn about resorts. I'm leaning towards a moderate resort.

Do I want something smaller, or should I say, more compact, like POFQ? Or stick with a sprawling resort like CBR?
Do I want to spend more money on a preferred room so I'm closer to a main building?

I know Disney is about as safe as you can get, but I'm unsure what to do about where to stay.:confused3

Comments? Opinions?

If your not going until the end of January you should be able to (not saying for certain) ask for a free upgrade so that you might be able to get a preferred room. As you stated Disney is very safe but do what makes you comfortable so that your not stressed while your there. POFQ is probably one of the best moderates for a smaller footprint and it has the boats to DTD. I have stayed at all the moderates except POR and POFQ but plan to this coming fall/winter so I am excited to see how you like POFQ if you decide to stay there?
Hope this helps?
:banana::banana:

You should look into renting a DVC studio--stay at a deluxe for moderate prices. I am tacking on an extra "solo" night to my standard-view studio with my hubby at AKV and it only cost me $180 per night on a weekday. I used DVC Rental Store and had a great experience so far (haven't checked in yet, but have heard nothing but good reviews).

This is just personal experience talking...when I go solo, I really don't care about the "resort", since I tend to get up pretty early and am usually at some park until closing. By then, I get back to the room and go to sleep. So my answer is to stay somewhere cheap offsite, rent a car and enjoy. Totally up to you, though.

My one solo stay was at POFQ. I chose it because it was so compact. I know WDW is pretty darned safe, but I still wanted a short walk to my room when going back from the parks.

Since I don't spend much time in the room, I usually stay in pop century. Love that they don't share bus with others. Can walk to AOA. Not crazy with all stars with groups.

I agree with one of the previous posters. If you can rent DVC points that might be the way to go. I'm lucky to be a DVC owner and love the DVC resorts.

Go for the best resort you can afford. My biggie at the outside door resorts would be to get a preferred room location. You have to pay extra for this, but I really like being close to the lobby and food court. The preferred locations are closer to the buses; so, there is less walking back to your room.

I did get a little creeped out at night walking back to the room and I was closer. I was always looking over my shoulder. It was nice to be closer for that reason. I was getting spooked by any noises. The dark just got to me a little.

This is just personal experience talking...when I go solo, I really don't care about the "resort", since I tend to get up pretty early and am usually at some park until closing. By then, I get back to the room and go to sleep. So my answer is to stay somewhere cheap offsite, rent a car and enjoy. Totally up to you, though.

I agree with this too--I park hop from morning til late night, so I usually miss out on resort time anyway. But it is nice to have a relaxing retreat available if you need an afternoon off.

My first 2 solo stays were at CBR-I had stayed with my family and was familiar with the resort. Since then I have stayed at Pop-for the reasons other posters stated-never spend time in the room and love the dedicated bus service. I am planning a solo trip to stay at POFQ-for the simple reason I have never stayed there before...I think all the resorts are great for different reasons-pick one that appeals and go for it...

I agree with this too--I park hop from morning til late night, so I usually miss out on resort time anyway. But it is nice to have a relaxing retreat available if you need an afternoon off.

I agree as well. I am doing my third solo in October. I have stayed at AS Sports and POP so far. I am doing Sports again. I have never felt unsafe walking around the resorts. People have no idea that you are alone on your trip. For all they know you are meeting someone just around the corner so I don't think anyone is going to attack you. Having said that, I am a very untrusting person but I am also a guy so if I was a woman I might feel differently.

My opinion is, go with Value or do the DVC rental idea. If I can find a last minute DVC deal for my October trip I will do that instead.

The only trade-off with POFQ is that because it is smaller and popular because of that is normally any room discounts are less than the other moderates, if available at all. CBR is way too spread out for me to every stay there solo.

I did get a little creeped out at night walking back to the room and I was closer. I was always looking over my shoulder. It was nice to be closer for that reason. I was getting spooked by any noises. The dark just got to me a little.

Bete, may I ask what resort you were at?

OP, I have stayed solo twice at POFQ and plan to stay there again next year. It was my first (and so far only) mod after previous deluxe stays and I was a little wary about the exterior corridors, but it turns out I really like it. I think the smaller footprint and the more manicured grounds make it nice if you're concerned about wandering around after dark. There are no preferred rooms at POFQ, but you can request to be closer to the main building. I've stayed in bldg 5 overlooking the lawn where they show movies in the evenings, and in bldg 2 facing the pool area, near the boat dock, and felt like there was always plenty of activity/families around when I was coming home at night.

For Solo trips I have stayed offsite, at the Pop, at the POR, at the CSR and at the CBR.

I don't recommend offsite - it didn't have the Disney feel or the Disney safety I've come to expect.

I know safety is somewhat of an illusion at Disney, but I think most would agree that it's safer than most areas.

Pop, CSR, POR and CBR are all resorts on the larger side, but that's what I tend to prefer.

POFQ does have it's appeal though and I think I would try it for my next Solo trip whenever that may be.

I stayed at POP for my 1st solo trip and it was great I did pay for preferred but it was worth it I also had the QSDP however this year due to a promotion in work I have splurged to stay at the Dolphin so I'm super excited to be close to two parks but there is a part of me that's going to miss POP
Maybe next time I will try DVC rental - sounds interesting

I stayed at CSR my solo trip. I did not get a preferred room, I think I was in Casitas 4. I used Disney transportation and never felt unsafe walking around the resort at night. I don't mind walking a bit and think CSR is beautiful, spent some time enjoying the resort my arrival and departure days.

I loved Port Orleans French Quarter resort. I did a split stay on my last trip with Pop Century/French Quarter. Building 4 is the best as it is close to the main building and the food court for refills and the closest to the bus stop which is my lifeline to the rest of the world.
For a huge savings though and since I am not planning to be at the room except for sleep and getting ready I chose Pop Century again this trip. The savings over 11 nights is significant so I booked a bunch of signature dining like Hoop Dee Doo Review and the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian at the tea room as well as Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Also with the savings from staying at a value I was able to extend my trip a few days and more days at Disney is always better!

Thanks everyone. You've given me a lot to chew over. I think I will wait until the resort only deal comes up and I see which hotels are discounted, and pick one. :goodvibes

When I planned my solo trip for the end of January at POFQ I ended up over-budgeting(Don't ask me how I managed that) and after looking at things I am giving WL a try. Compared to when I went last time during Food and wine the price of the room looks pretty good. I like the location and transportation options, so for now it's standard view.

I stayed at POFQ the first time I was solo, but after that I went value for solo trips. Smaller rooms, no coffee pots, double bed, single sinks, all the things that turn most people off are not as important to me by myself. Plus I'm not a pool person so that is never a factor. Don't get me wrong I love niceer hotels but at Disney I'm happy with the basics so I can budget my recreation dollars elsewhere.

I'd rather save the money on my room when I'm solo and then hit up Mod or Deluxe when I'm with others. PO resorts are my favorites and I keep thinking I'm going to try CSR and CBR but I will probably stick with PO. I'm going to WL in October with my Mom.

I've done AoA, Music and Sports with a Janurary solo trip planned for Movies. (No desire to stay at POP and haven't decided if I will do a short stay just to make a sweep of the Value level).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter