Solo Diner Recommendations?

TomorrowlandKD

Nowwwww approaching...
Hey ya'll,

Heading down next month for a solo trip. Wanted to try to do a couple ADRs for some solo dining in lieu of the usual Epcot kiosk dining!

Wanted to check in and see if there are any recommendations for 2023 that people have experienced solo that they favorite?

Cheers!

I just got back from a solo trip and had solo meals at these restaurants:

Jiko - no issues being solo. I loved the starter but was not a fan of the main course I had so this will probably not be on my list of ADRs for my next trip.

Sanaa - no issues being solo, but the bread service (and a salad sampler I got) was a bit too much for me! My server suggested that next time I could do an individualised selection of naans and dips (not on the menu) so that I wouldn't have to take the entire bread service on its own.

California Grill - amazing as always. As a solo doing a walk up they offered me a choice of being seated at the bar (no need to do prix fixe menu) or at a table (limited to prix fixe menu). I chose the table as I wanted the prix fixe menu. I've dined solo at CG multiple times and always had a great experience, which is why it's now the one ADR I almost always do each trip.

Monsieur Paul - no problem being solo, but it is a lot of food! And is a 3 hour long experience. Depends on how well you do on your own I guess - I was perfectly fine being on my own with my phone for 3 hours so was not an issue for me.

Art Smith's Homecoming - did a walk up, offered choice of being seated immediately at the bar or waiting about half an hour for a table. From an experience a few years ago I remembered that the portions were huge, so I this time I got just the thigh high chicken biscuits to start with and then added the coleslaw when I thought I could handle the portion.

Artist Point - no issues being solo except for taking photos with the characters when they came around! I selfied a bit, and then someone from a neighbouring table offered to help me take photos with the characters. Still fun character interactions and the food is good.

Kona cafe - walk up reservation. No issues being solo but pretty much a standard restaurant experience.

I've also eaten solo in previous trips at other places including Narcoosee's, Brown Derby, Tiffins, Garden Grill, Le Cellier, CRT. No issues being solo at these places except maybe CRT was a bit of a "one and done" experience for me. Garden Grill had fantastic character interaction and was really fun but the family style was too much food as a solo.

Of this list if I had to choose two to go back to I'd go with California Grill and Le Cellier. California Grill as I love the experience and have yet to have a bad meal there, plus you can see fireworks. Le Cellier because I really love the steak with the mushroom risotto.

I’ll just say, when making ADRs if you find “no availability” for a party of 1, try for a party of 2, then 3, then 4. Book however many you need to to get the reservation. Then after it’s confirmed, go back and Modify it to a party of 1. The ADR system hates odd numbered parties, and also if a 4-top table is available the system wants to save it for a party of 4 and won’t let you have it. If you can’t modify it, there’s no penalty for booking for X and showing up with just one, except for prepaid and some special packages.

Hey ya'll,

Heading down next month for a solo trip. Wanted to try to do a couple ADRs for some solo dining in lieu of the usual Epcot kiosk dining!

Wanted to check in and see if there are any recommendations for 2023 that people have experienced solo that they favorite?

Cheers!
Pick any place you want and sit at the bar; no need for ADR

depend on where you are;

the boathouse,
paddle fish,
the Edison,
STK,
skipper’s canteen
flying fish
Citraco’s
Kona or Kona island

pretty much can’t go wrong

Art Smith's, my go-to is the children's chicken sandwich with two sides for $12. A lot of food and delicious.

Solo - hit Citrico's or Narcoossee's at the Grand Floridian. Both solid and lovely.

I just got back from a solo trip and had solo meals at these restaurants:

A special word of thanks for taking the time writing all of these mini reviews! SO appreciated. I had no idea that the California Grille bar allowed you NOT to use prix fix. I'll definitely be doing this the first night of my trip as I'll be getting in in the evening. Perfect!

Pick any place you want and sit at the bar; no need for ADR

depend on where you are;

the boathouse,
paddle fish,
the Edison,
STK,
skipper’s canteen
flying fish
Citraco’s
Kona or Kona island

pretty much can’t go wrong

I had no idea that there was a bar in Skipper's Canteen. Silly me, given the name of the place. DEFINITELY going to stop in there for a drink and lunch. Thanks!

I've eaten at California Grill, Jiko, HBD, Skippers, 50's Prime Time etc solo. My preference is for the lounges...Steakhouse 71, Geyser Point, Tambu, Banana Cabana, Baseline Taphouse, Nomad Lounge etc. All great!

A special word of thanks for taking the time writing all of these mini reviews! SO appreciated. I had no idea that the California Grille bar allowed you NOT to use prix fix. I'll definitely be doing this the first night of my trip as I'll be getting in in the evening. Perfect!
You're welcome!

I didn't try out the CG bar and test out the non-prix fixe myself - this is just what the CM at CG check in told me when she offered me the choice of the bar or a table! Hopefully is correct :)

I had no idea that there was a bar in Skipper's Canteen. Silly me, given the name of the place. DEFINITELY going to stop in there for a drink and lunch. Thanks!
There is not a bar at Skipper Canteen in the Magic Kingdom so far as I know. Was just there a few months ago. The poster may have been thinking about the Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar in Disney Springs? But I have dined solo at Skipper Canteen and it was great!

In general, I've never had an issue dining solo anywhere. I personally would avoid Teppan Edo where you're sat with others but that's a personal preference. My favorite places to dine solo are Flying Fish (actually prefer the bar to a table ... the bartenders are amazing), Boathouse (if weather is ok, I like to go through the restaurant and out back to the dockside bar out on the water), Wine Bar George, Jiko (I like to sit at the "cooking place" which is a sort of chef's counter within the restaurant where you can watch them preparing some appetizers and desserts), Hollywood Brown Derby, Nomad Lounge, all the bars/lounges at the Swan & Dolphin restaurants are great - bluezoo, Il Mulino, Shula's, Rosa Mexicano is newer so I haven't been there yet. Also like bar at Steakhouse 71, Geyser Point (open air lounge at Wilderness Lodge), Crew's Cup (Yacht Club), Bar Riva and Topolino's lounge at Riviera are great too.

A monorail or skyliner "crawl" of resort lounges might be fun.

Have a great time!!

One of my first solo meals that felt really comfortable was at Sci Fi. Felt like eating in front of the TV by yourself. Who hasn't done that? I really like character meals, even if I don't want to see the characters. However, the people watching is great! There's nothing like watching everyone twisting around in their seats looking for Mickey (or whoever), and then watching their excitement as they point them out to the rest of their family, etc. If you think you, as a solo, might "look weird" there, don't worry. Unless you're the character they're looking for, they won't notice you.
The only meals I don't like are the ones at communal tables, like Teppen Edo, and what they used to have at Biergarten (I hear they have individual tables now). I imagine they're fine if you get friendly neighbors, but last time, I sat next to a teenager whose worst nightmare was vacationing next to a stranger. At the end of the meal, she couldn't leave fast enough, and I didn't stay long either. As I always say, I'd rather be alone than wish I was. And for some reason, I didn't like Hollywood Brown Derby. But that one I have no idea why, but I didn't like my food either, so maybe that was part of it.

Dined solo in June at these places:
Space 220, Bar Seating - waited 20 minutes to get a seat
Polite Pig - great outdoor bar seating, fun bartenders and talkative people
Jaleo - wait staff were very accomodating to single diner, food and service amazing

I've eaten solo at GFC, Rose & Crown, Jiko, Boma and Tusker House. No issues at any of them. I even had a server jump in at Tusker and ask to take pics for me. I was fine with selfies, but she insisted. Jiko was probably my favorite of my solo experiences as they really fawned all over me.

Dined solo in June at these places:
Space 220, Bar Seating - waited 20 minutes to get a seat
Polite Pig - great outdoor bar seating, fun bartenders and talkative people
Jaleo - wait staff were very accomodating to single diner, food and service amazing

@ParrotBill - thanks for the response! Did you have an ADR for Space 220? It's my number one place to go solo and I was trying to figure out how to just get a seat at the bar/lounge. Did you walk up and ask?

Hey ya'll,

Cheers!
Space 220 lounge area would be great! You get the best of both worlds in a more intimate area. Didn't go there solo, but I could imagine it being great. We had a res.

@ParrotBill - thanks for the response! Did you have an ADR for Space 220? It's my number one place to go solo and I was trying to figure out how to just get a seat at the bar/lounge. Did you walk up and ask?

No, I walked up asking about cancellations and that I was solo... they suggested the bar would be a short wait. I don't even know if you can ADR the bar?

No, I walked up asking about cancellations and that I was solo... they suggested the bar would be a short wait. I don't even know if you can ADR the bar?
Several years ago, the hostess stand at Jiko told me that if I wanted to eat at the bar, I still had to make an ADR, then request bar seating when I checked in. I don't know if it's still that way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter