• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Cruising Sept 22, 2007 HC room

brady961

Pal Mickey pal
I am going solo on a DCL 7 night western caribbean Sept 22-29, 2007.

Unless a friend decides to go or even someone from the DIS boards is wanting to go but needs to share a handicapped room. That person wouldn't mine doing so with a middle aged woman that is a little over the top in enjoying, and loving everything about Disney <G> If don't believe me about being over top check out my online photo album <G> which has more pictures of Pal Mickey dressed up visiting the parks or the cruise from Jan this year <G>

I loved your pics! Do you have a trip report? I'd love to read it.

We are planning our 1st cruise for the next Western sailing after yours (if I remember your sig right - the Oct 6th). I also have us booked on the same double dip as you for Sept. 2008 so hopefully we will get to do some Disboard partying. :thumbsup2

I'm curious why you are choosing the Western twice - is it the ports? What did you do in Cozumel? We don't have anyone with mobility issues (wheelchair) - my younger son is a type 1 diabetic and extremely peanut allergic. He had low muscle tone (hypotonic) as a toddler but is not pretty much able to keep up with his peers. I wouldn't consider taking him on a trip with a lot of walking or climbing though (like the Tulum ruins). Did you visit any of the beaches in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

May I ask...are you in a wheelchair? If so, you will have some trouble getting around the ship independently. On the Western cruise, if in a w/c, you would not be able to get off the ship in Grand Cayman unless you can take a few steps on your own to get into the tender and out...and Cozumel is not w/c friendly either except right around the dock. ---Kathy

Ok I just have to ask. Where did you get all those cute clothes. I love the life jackets. I too have a pal mickey and would love for him to have more clothes. Thanks :)

I would love to hear more about accessibility on the Cruise Ships! If you are a WC user, please give us some more details. I'm going to check out your photos. Thanks!

I loved your pics! Do you have a trip report? I'd love to read it.

We are planning our 1st cruise for the next Western sailing after yours (if I remember your sig right - the Oct 6th). I also have us booked on the same double dip as you for Sept. 2008 so hopefully we will get to do some Disboard partying. :thumbsup2

I'm curious why you are choosing the Western twice - is it the ports? What did you do in Cozumel? We don't have anyone with mobility issues (wheelchair) - my younger son is a type 1 diabetic and extremely peanut allergic. He had low muscle tone (hypotonic) as a toddler but is not pretty much able to keep up with his peers. I wouldn't consider taking him on a trip with a lot of walking or climbing though (like the Tulum ruins). Did you visit any of the beaches in Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Way cool so will see you in 2008. there is a thread for that cruise already started, hope you find or have found it.

Why going on western again? I wanted to cruise on my birthday this year and the western fits that. if my birthday had been on an eastern i would have chosen that one. oh well the ports really don't matter to me. As I am unable to really do excursions, not able to tender to any port, etc... due to being in a power chair.

in cozumel i went to the little shopping center at end of port. looked around some shops that i could get in with chair, then back to ship.

Grand Cayman couldn't visit as can't tender in a power chair.

So I just enjoy the activities on the ship, pool, eating LOL, just hanging out on ship while at ports. I am fine not being able to do much of anything at ports. I found lots to do on ship and have a blast.

too bad we aren't on same cruise this year, if were then next year would be a reunion cruise :goodvibes

May I ask...are you in a wheelchair? If so, you will have some trouble getting around the ship independently. On the Western cruise, if in a w/c, you would not be able to get off the ship in Grand Cayman unless you can take a few steps on your own to get into the tender and out...and Cozumel is not w/c friendly either except right around the dock. ---Kathy

I am in a power chair. I went on the western this past Jan. and right I couldn't go to grand cayman, couldn't really do any excursions. only one was at key west the train/trolley tour as it has a lift for my chair.

and right at cozumel all i did was visit shopping center across the street of the dock.

I am ok not going to the ports of call and staying on the ship. i had a blast just hanging out, ship activities, eating LOL, etc....

Ok I just have to ask. Where did you get all those cute clothes. I love the life jackets. I too have a pal mickey and would love for him to have more clothes. Thanks :)

Pal Mickey clothes..... I find them at Michael's craft store, online, build a bear (although very big but i pin to make fit), baby shoes from walmart, target, kmart, found 18 inch doll clothing at target, find a stuff animal about the size of Pal that has clothes on, buy that and then have a naked stuff animal LOL. as the clothes go to Pal.

I made the life jackets using foamie board from Michael's. Just finished making another life jacket but this one is more like the ones ppl wear on ship, ya know around neck and belt around back?

I am constantly looking for clothes or shoes when i go into a store. searching online etc...

Just rec'd lime green tshirts i bought online that fit Pal. I plan on doing an iron on transfer of mickey icon with DIS lettering.

many clothes i have bought esp online and from build a bear are too big. I either use iron on hem tape to alter, or just pin to fit better.

its fun trying to find outfits and so much fun dressing him up. And now I have a plush Minnie about same size of Pal so she has her own wardrobe, most from Michael's or the small build bear outfits at Target.

ok i am over the top but hey its fun :goodvibes

I would love to hear more about accessibility on the Cruise Ships! If you are a WC user, please give us some more details. I'm going to check out your photos. Thanks!

I use a power chair. Actually in Jan I used a travel power chair. For most part i had little problems. with it being a travel power chair the front casters, and power wasn't enough or isn't enough to get over thresholds with lips. so i learned quickly which few doors i could use to gain access to decks and back inside.

I stayed in chair for meals. had a HC room which was HUGE. could move around easily in the chair while in room.

because i used power chair there really were no excursions that i could particiapte in except Key West the trolley/train tour. The trolley had a lift for my chair and DCL made sure i was scheduled for the trolley.

couldn't go to grand cayman, can't tender with a power chair or scooter. can with a manual chair but still must be able to walk few stairs on/off tender. DCL brought me a manual chair so i could go visit grand cayman but i wasn't able to manage the manual chair. so i had fun on the ship instead of going on the island.

cozumel: I was able to use travel power chair but only to get to the shopping center across street of port. no excursions that i could use this there either.

i had no problems not being able to visit ports or do excursions. just found fun activities on the ship, ate and ate LOL, hung out on the ship etc....

The Sept cruise I will be using a larger power chair (Q600) so shouldn't have any problems getting thru any door with a threshold/lip. Still won't be able to do excursions but again I am fine with hanging out on the ship.

I can't offer much on using a manual wheelchair as I don't use one and although tried on ship I couldn't. But i imagine if someone is use to a manual wheelchair or has someone pushing you shouldn't have any more problems than I did, just a bumpy ride getting over thresholds at most doors to/from decks.

hope this helps at least to know what was like using a travel power chair. I had a great time even with some limitations but hey that's life :goodvibes

I found what I could do, and did it, and had a blast.:cool1:

Marsha - I did finally post today on the DCL 2008 cruise meet thread - I figured I had to come out of the closet. I still haven't told the DH about it yet.....;)
I might wait and see how the Oct one goes over!

I see now that you're going for your bday - nice! I thought maybe the Western had something you really liked but it sounds like the experience on either would work well for you. Were you able to go to CC? I have read that staying on the ship at port is nice cause it is so much less crowded. Is the issue for the tours where you dock directly (as opposed to tendering) having a lift for the chair? (sorry if that is dumb question!)

Did you do any of the activities on board? I know they're supposed to have a good line up of things for adults - just curious if you found any of those interesting. I am sure I'd be happy just hanging out watching the scenery. I'm hoping my kids like the kid's clubs well enough to spend some time in there and let us do some things without them.

The Mickey pics are great - I really enjoyed those as well. You have to write a trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter