• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo Availability Dining

CarolynU

Proud Mum twice over
I appreciate that there will be mixed opinions about this.
To cut a long story short I have noticed that on MDE as a widow and sometimes solo diner I sometimes seem to find that reservations are vastly different if I try to eat solo rather than as a table of two. Sometimes I cannot get a reservation at all as a solo. For example today searching for 23rd January Beaches and Cream has no availability for a solo, but could seat a two at 20.50.
Chef Art shows only 17.20 or 21.20 as a solo ( beginning and end of service ) as opposed to 18.50 or 19.50 for a two.
This has happened to me again and again to the point that I now mostly just eat offsite. However, when talking to my son about this he said that he felt that this was rather unfair. I completely appreciate that Disney want to fill their tables and maximise use and don't want a solo sitting at a table that could accommodate four people, however under the old system I would just turn up and just wait for next available and I could do that, but I can't now.
This has also happened at different times of the year, and not just busy periods. It is also fairly random whether it happens or not and is not consistent.
So I'm not sure what I feel about this situation. It is obviously the way that the IT has set up the app. Should I just continue to suck it up and eat offsite or email guest communications to let them know that as a solo traveller I shouldn't feel as if I'm being treated in an inferior way if that's what it is?

I appreciate that there will be mixed opinions about this.
To cut a long story short I have noticed that on MDE as a widow and sometimes solo diner I sometimes seem to find that reservations are vastly different if I try to eat solo rather than as a table of two. Sometimes I cannot get a reservation at all as a solo. For example today searching for 23rd January Beaches and Cream has no availability for a solo, but could seat a two at 20.50.
Chef Art shows only 17.20 or 21.20 as a solo ( beginning and end of service ) as opposed to 18.50 or 19.50 for a two.
This has happened to me again and again to the point that I now mostly just eat offsite. However, when talking to my son about this he said that he felt that this was rather unfair. I completely appreciate that Disney want to fill their tables and maximise use and don't want a solo sitting at a table that could accommodate four people, however under the old system I would just turn up and just wait for next available and I could do that, but I can't now.
This has also happened at different times of the year, and not just busy periods. It is also fairly random whether it happens or not and is not consistent.
So I'm not sure what I feel about this situation. It is obviously the way that the IT has set up the app. Should I just continue to suck it up and eat offsite or email guest communications to let them know that as a solo traveller I shouldn't feel as if I'm being treated in an inferior way if that's what it is?

Just book the table for 2. Feel free to email guest communications to see if they can tweak the ghosts in the machine.

Surely though if I reserve a table for two and only one person shows up I'll get charged a cancellation/no show fee for 1 person?

Surely though if I reserve a table for two and only one person shows up I'll get charged a cancellation/no show fee for 1 person?

From what I've read the no show fee only applies if the entire party doesn't come.

No. That is for a no show. You would show. There are no issues with showing with fewer guests.

Oh really that's interesting? I assumed that I'd be charged for a reduction per head on the reservation.

Nope. The only time you wouldn't want to book for more than the number in your party is for a prepaid location. While they'd refund for whichever doesn't show, no reason to tie up the money like that. Otherwise, just book for 2 each time. And you aren't even taking away a table that 2 could use. There aren't tables for 1 so you'd be seated at the same table with 1 or 2.

Nopem cancel fees are for no shows to the reservation. If one person shows you are good

The reservation system can be a pain to work with. It seems to manage to the actual table size. Want 3? Nope table seats 4. Make the reservation for 2 and don't give it another thought. Enjoy!

I did this, and made some excuse about my dining companion being ill. But the next time I just told them it wouldn't let me book for one, and the waitress said it didn't matter and seated me without any problems. It's not as if they have a special table for single diners, we sit at a table for two anyway so it's no drama for one to dine I promise.

Nopem cancel fees are for no shows to the reservation. If one person shows you are good

The reservation system can be a pain to work with. It seems to manage to the actual table size. Want 3? Nope table seats 4. Make the reservation for 2 and don't give it another thought. Enjoy!

This is exactly what I have found. The system seems to know how many people they can fit at the tables in the restaurant and almost assign the tables in advance.

I've had this issue for years. I've always had problems getting ressies for odd numbered parties of 1 or 3. I see nothing wrong with booking a ressie for 2 if you're a party of 1 or a ressies for 4 if you're a party of 3 because most likely the table you would be taking is the same size for 1 or 2/3or4.

As others have said, just book for 2. You won't be penalized and you simply tell them you are a party of 1 when you show up. No need to make excuses. We are a family of 3 and encounter the same issue. I always search for a party of 3 when making ADR's, but if I'm having issues, I'll search for a party of 4. I would imagine parties of 5 encounter the same issues.

Now I realise that I can do that I will. I was just bewildered that once MDE arrived I seemed to only have the option to eat dinner at 5pm ish or something near to ten in the evening and nothing in between. I had no idea that Disney don't like odd numbers lol! Also I misunderstood that the cc hold wasn't per head, but per table. I just gave up and went elsewhere. I will return as they say!

It's always been pretty common. But there's no harm in booking for 2 and only showing up with 1. That's what I do, rather than go off site.

Yup, I do it also-all the time. My theory is that perhaps I'll meet my new BFF and want to invite them to lunch with me. Or perhaps DH will suddenly surprise me by showing up just as I walk into the restaurant. But since neither has ever happened, I always book for two, show up as 1, and never get charged any penalty.

Not a problem. Some (looking at you specifically ‘Ohana) are not set up to like 1 (or even any odd number) and will only find for 2 (or even numbers). Those places especially expect one less sometimes.

Plus, TBH, I have never seen a 1-top at a WDW restaurant other than the counter at Beaches and Cream.

I've never noticed a lack of ADRs available for a solo traveler, I've don't it twice and had only one problem getting a table for 1. At Boma, I could not get a table for 1, so I booked it for 2. The day before my ADR, I stopped by Concierge at my hotel and asked them if they could change my ADR to 1 guest and they did so easily. So if you are uncomfortable and worried that you might get charged, just do that, or even call guest services before your trip and have them change the number in your party.

I heard this about tables of 5 too but I didn't have any issues with getting reservations for 5 (or I should say, if a table for 5 wasn't available, there wasn't one for 6 either). I have heard many reports of it, but I didn't have that issue. It does seem to be an issue at certain restaurants though, based on reports here. Here are the ones I didn't have issues with an odd number:

T-Rex
Raglan Road
Be Our Guest (all meals)
Skipper Canteen
Liberty Tree Tavern
Chef Mickey
California Grill
Tusker House
Ohana (both breakfast and dinner)
Sci-Fi Dine In
Mama Melrose
Hollywood & Vine
Whispering Canyon

(no, I didn't keep all these, but these are all reservations I had at one point for this trip, for a family of 5).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter